M8 android box suggestions?
Hi everyone. I currently have an ATV520 by Geniatech. It works great. Certainly it has its quirks, but everything I've thrown at it has worked surprisingly well. It worked so well I have just given it away to a good friend, and am now looking at purchasing a new one for myself.

So I am considering purchasing the same box (atv520) but have been doing a little research into the newer quad core boxes based on the Amlogic S802 chipset platform. I really don't care about the number of cores because I don't watch anything over 1080p. But I am worried that the atv520 might not get Android or XBMC updates in the future and so am thinking a newer box might be more 'future proof.'

Can anyone confirm that they have one of these M8 boxes running Gotham well, including addons? If so, which ones are proving to be fairly stable?

Thanks for your advices!

PS I would really really like to support Pivos here. Any ideas if they're about to put out a fast second gen box within the next month? Smile
Hi Saddie,

I have an M8 and it is a fantastic little box. There were some issues with the initial firmware but after a few updates the M8 is working perfect. Any of the firmware builds after June 16th are very stable and Gotham is working excellent.

I also have the atv520e and really don't notice much of a difference in video quality between the 2 but you definately see a huge difference in android app performance.
Hi Packetcrypt,

May I ask which firmware you are using? I also have the square M8 - the Android OS is very stable however XBMC Gothman is very unstable. After 30 mins it just stops and in some situations the box does not react at all. Another issue I still facing is that I cannot shut down the box properly. Looks like I only have this issue when a keyboard and mouse is connected.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Wim
I am also looking at this box,I have noticed there are few kinds of boxes using s802 chip.anyone know what the wifi is like on thois box or am I better getting something else thats better.
Hello again Packetcrypt! Yes I remember chatting here about the 520 with you. Great little box indeed, but I am glad to hear of the M8's improved performance on Android apps.

I am wondering if any of you here could provide links or manufacturer's names to the boxes you've bought, and to the firmwares you're currently running? Sounds like Wim's wondering which firmware you're running too?

@yaqh - a wired connection is always best for video these days. I realise it isn't an option for everyone though...

EDIT: Or maybe someone could give their advice on the Amazon FireTV? Should I consider buying one of these instead? I have nothing invested in the Amazon universe and am more of a stock AOSP android guy. I can see that the AFTV thread elsewhere here is 250+ pages long... gulp...
I am using the M8 Amlogic S802 version 0617 Firmware from Geekbuying but Finless Rom 1.7 and some others are working well. Yes, The power button on the remote only puts the unit to sleep and does not actually turn it off. I leave mine running 24/7 so not really an issue for me. Wifi works surprisingly well considering there is no external antenna. I use Oman's Build of XBMC 13.1 ( link on freaktab ) and it is very stable and plays everything .

I have the Amazon Tv as well and it is very quick and remote super responsive. The biggest problem I have with the Amazon Tv is that at least once a day maybe 2x it needs to be rebooted as the timeshift/FF/RW buttons stop working and video playback timer just stays at 0:00. XBMC also crashes on the Amazon Tv much more then any other box I have owned.
@Packetcrypt
Well that settles it, I'm not going to buy a fire TV at this point. Do you think it's worth it in your opinion to buy a more expensive and possibly more unstable M8 or just buy another atv520, which I am familiar with? Does Oman's XBMC build work well with XBMC's streaming addons in your experience? Have you had any problems ordering from geekbuying? I've heard they can be sketchy...

Thanks!
(2014-07-16, 23:57)Packetcrypt Wrote: I am using the M8 Amlogic S802 version 0617 Firmware from Geekbuying but Finless Rom 1.7 and some others are working well. Yes, The power button on the remote only puts the unit to sleep and does not actually turn it off. I leave mine running 24/7 so not really an issue for me. Wifi works surprisingly well considering there is no external antenna. I use Oman's Build of XBMC 13.1 ( link on freaktab ) and it is very stable and plays everything .

I have the Amazon Tv as well and it is very quick and remote super responsive. The biggest problem I have with the Amazon Tv is that at least once a day maybe 2x it needs to be rebooted as the timeshift/FF/RW buttons stop working and video playback timer just stays at 0:00. XBMC also crashes on the Amazon Tv much more then any other box I have owned.
The issue you describe can be fixed by disabling mediacodec and enabling libstagefright for acceleration.
More and more stable S802 based products coming, www.geniatech.com/pa/atv582.asp, they claimed they passed the Google certification.
(2014-07-17, 06:57)dual_HD Wrote: More and more stable S802 based products coming, www.geniatech.com/pa/atv582.asp, they claimed they passed the Google certification.
looks good, i found it on ebay. Is this worth buying over the M8?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mygica-ATV582-...1473969248

Also shaw the atv1800, not sure which is better?
It might be good to wait for the s805 chipset. The first batches are being released right now. The s805 chip doesn't have 4K abillity, but does have H265 HEVC abillity, which is going to be mainstream sooner then 4K material. The Eny MXq is an example of a s805 device.
My XBMC / Kodi history.
XBMC for XBOX -> XBMC for Windows -> XBMC for Android -> Kodi for Android - > Kodi v16 OE (Amlogic) -> Kodi v17 LE (NUC 2x) -> Kodi v18.5 LE (NUC 2x)
(2014-07-17, 16:04)lexi81 Wrote: It might be good to wait for the s805 chipset. The first batches are being released right now. The s805 chip doesn't have 4K abillity, but does have H265 HEVC abillity, which is going to be mainstream sooner then 4K material. The Eny MXq is an example of a s805 device.

great , when can these be purchased and is it worth the wait. Can I order from the UK?
I just bought an ATV582 off of Ebay from Hong Kong. It will take like 30 days to get here but I will come back and write a review. My set up is very basic though, just the device going by HDMI to my TV. No pass through or dolby stuff or anything, so not the best test case for other people around here... thanks for the advice everyone!
(2014-07-18, 08:18)saddie Wrote: I just bought an ATV582 off of Ebay from Hong Kong. It will take like 30 days to get here but I will come back and write a review. My set up is very basic though, just the device going by HDMI to my TV. No pass through or dolby stuff or anything, so not the best test case for other people around here... thanks for the advice everyone!

Yea let me know when you get it. I am also looking to purchase, Which buyer did you get it from?
I take it ATV582E has got better wifi signal?
(2014-07-18, 10:53)yaqh Wrote: Yea let me know when you get it. I am also looking to purchase, Which buyer did you get it from?
I take it ATV582E has got better wifi signal?

I bought it off ebay seller 'wormhole_global' - not the most trust-inducing username to pick, but they have good feedback (who doesn't any more?). They shipped the next day though, for what it's worth.

I have never heard of an ATV582E. There IS an ATV520E which yes, is identical to the ATV520, only with an external wifi antenna. I always try to hard wire these boxes to my router though.

Will come back with a review..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
M8 android box suggestions?1