Help me please with these possible HTPCs
Hello,

so while I was waiting for the Intel NUC DN2820FYKH I heard about the issues it had and decided to wait (still waiting) for the refresh with the N2830 processor, which is a little faster and should fix these problems. However, since then Gigabyte have released some nice BRIX models.

My options are (and please suggest others if you know of some good ones):

€110 Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with N2820
€110 Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with N2830 (for QuickSync)
€120 GB-BXBT-2807 (N2807, completely passively cooled, low power, no IR)
€? GB-BXBT-1900 (unsure how good J1900 is?, no IR)
€150 GB-BXCEH-2955 (2955U much more powerful than N2820, louder? no IR)
€230 Intel NUC D34010WYKH

What I want from this is:
a) A basic NAS to store backups and media on (I have a 2.5" HDD I will put inside)
b) Movie streaming from HDD and Netflix, XBMC.
c) Music playing
d) File server, remotely accessible

It is important it is fast _enough_, quiet so that I am not disturbed by it and otherwise relatively cheap.

I was really interested in the 2955 BRIX but I can't seem to determine how this processor compares to the N2807 or J1900. And also, how loud it is?
I don't really trust the synthetic benchmarks and I can't find much in the way of real-world benchmarks between them.

Also, while the N2807 BRIX is passively cooled, I'm worried it'll get a little hot. A fan IS ok as long as it's relatively quiet.

The D34010WYKH seems overkill for my needs.

Should I wait for the N2830 NUC, or take one of the BRIX models, and with the BRIX, get the 2955U or wait for the J1900 or N2807?

One other thing: is not having the built-in IR reciever a big issue? I had a look and can probably use my smartphone to control WMC etc via WiFi, or just buy an inexpensive remote+IR reciever. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Aaron

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me please with these possible HTPCs0