Asus Chromebox and UPnP
So, I dropped this question in the existing Chromebox thread a few weeks ago but it just got glazed over.

My Chromebox running OpenELEC doesn't seem to be recognized as a UPnP device. Is this a known characteristic of the Chromebox?

I have OpenELEC installed on my RapsberryPi and it identifies as UPnP in my DMC Apps (BubbleUPnP & Mezzmo Android). I can pull up my DLNA/UPnP server libraries and "PlayTo" the RaspberryPi, but the Chromebox is not recognized at all. I have double and triple-checked the Settings in XBMC to let it be recognized as a UPnP device but it doesn't change anything.

Anyone confrim this problem or not having this issue with a Chromebox?
(2014-07-29, 18:12)smitbret Wrote: So, I dropped this question in the existing Chromebox thread a few weeks ago but it just got glazed over.

My Chromebox running OpenELEC doesn't seem to be recognized as a UPnP device. Is this a known characteristic of the Chromebox?

I have OpenELEC installed on my RapsberryPi and it identifies as UPnP in my DMC Apps (BubbleUPnP & Mezzmo Android). I can pull up my DLNA/UPnP server libraries and "PlayTo" the RaspberryPi, but the Chromebox is not recognized at all. I have double and triple-checked the Settings in XBMC to let it be recognized as a UPnP device but it doesn't change anything.

are you sure that the ChromeBox isn't using the same UPnP name as the rpi, which would cause it to not be seen after the rpi has been identified/cached by your servers?
(2014-07-29, 18:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 18:12)smitbret Wrote: So, I dropped this question in the existing Chromebox thread a few weeks ago but it just got glazed over.

are you sure that the ChromeBox isn't using the same UPnP name as the rpi, which would cause it to not be seen after the rpi has been identified/cached by your servers?

Well, I went through all 4 of my XBMC installs and renamed them to more specific names (Bedroom, Laptop, BrettPC, LivingRoom) and the first three all pop up as expected in Mezzmo. Still the Chromebox installation stubbornly refuses to identify itself as a UPnP device. With both of the OpenELEC installations, I changed both the Device Name in the <OpenELEC> sub-menu as well as the System Name in the XBMC System settings to the respective names (Bedroom & LivingRoom). Rebooted all of devices and still no difference.

I brought the laptop to the Chromebox location and made sure all of the settings in XBMC matched up and they did. So, frustrated, I went to the OpenELEC submenu and did a <Restore to OpenELEC Defaults>. Once it rebooted to a fresh, default installation, I adjusted the XBMC settings in the Services tab to "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP" and still nothing.

I am considering flashing the firmware and OS back to the original Chrome install and then reinstalling OpenELEC but I wonder if that would be futile as well since I can't wrap my mind around how that would make any difference, either. That's partially why I am looking for confirmation that anyone can confirm from first hand experience that the Chromebox will identify itself as a UPnP device. Might just be a limitation I suppose.
Restoring the stock firmware and doing a clean install is completely overkill. If anything, just reinstall OpenELEC from USB.

I'll see if I can't test this myself and replicate the issue
(2014-07-30, 02:41)Matt Devo Wrote: Restoring the stock firmware and doing a clean install is completely overkill. If anything, just reinstall OpenELEC from USB.

Thanks. I use Mezzmo but installed BubbleUPnP just to make sure it wasn't an issue with the app. Same results with both.

You need to get a <Donate> link.
(2014-07-30, 03:17)smitbret Wrote: Thanks. I use Mezzmo but installed BubbleUPnP just to make sure it wasn't an issue with the app. Same results with both.

You need to get a <Donate> link.

added to my sig, since i've had a view requests lately
(2014-07-30, 02:41)Matt Devo Wrote: Restoring the stock firmware and doing a clean install is completely overkill. If anything, just reinstall OpenELEC from USB.

Reinstalled OpenELEC, this time with the 4.1.2 Beta since I want it to wake from USB, and still nothing as far as UPnP.

I may move the RaspPi up to this location and see if it is a network issue of some kind. The Desktop PC and RaspPi and Server (with the UPnP Server) are all on a switch connected to the router. The Chromebox is connected directly to the same router. The laptop is using the router's wireless connection, though.....?

***UPDATE***
Doesn't appear to be a network issue. The RaspPi was identified as a DLNA Device from the Chromebox's orginal location (wired on the network). I have also tried both wired and wireless on the Chromebox and still stuck with Chromebox not reporting as a UPnP device.
(2014-07-30, 22:59)smitbret Wrote: Reinstalled OpenELEC, this time with the 4.1.2 Beta since I want it to wake from USB, and still nothing as far as UPnP.

I may move the RaspPi up to this location and see if it is a network issue of some kind. The Desktop PC and RaspPi and Server (with the UPnP Server) are all on a switch connected to the router. The Chromebox is connected directly to the same router. The laptop is using the router's wireless connection, though.....?

***UPDATE***
Doesn't appear to be a network issue. The RaspPi was identified as a DLNA Device from the Chromebox's orginal location (wired on the network). I have also tried both wired and wireless on the Chromebox and still stuck with Chromebox not reporting as a UPnP device.

can you give me some more specifics as to your issue? I just installed Mezzmo on my windows PC, which automatically identified and allowed the ChromeBox as a media player. I installed the Android app, and have no problem selecting files from the server (my PC) and playing them on the ChromeBox as a client/device.
(2014-07-31, 00:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-30, 22:59)smitbret Wrote: Reinstalled OpenELEC, this time with the 4.1.2 Beta since I want it to wake from USB, and still nothing as far as UPnP.

***UPDATE***

can you give me some more specifics as to your issue? I just installed Mezzmo on my windows PC, which automatically identified and allowed the ChromeBox as a media player. I installed the Android app, and have no problem selecting files from the server (my PC) and playing them on the ChromeBox as a client/device.

When you look at the list of devices under the <Device> tab in the Mezzmo Android app, my Chromebox does not appear there. The Raspberry Pi running OpenElec and the PCs running OpenELEC all appear as well as the local device.
(2014-07-31, 00:39)smitbret Wrote: When you look at the list of devices under the <Device> tab in the Mezzmo Android app, my Chromebox does not appear there. The Raspberry Pi running OpenElec and the PCs running OpenELEC all appear as well as the local device.

it has to be something with your setup; it worked OOTB for me

(2014-07-31, 00:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 00:39)smitbret Wrote: When you look at the list of devices under the <Device> tab in the Mezzmo Android app, my Chromebox does not appear there. The Raspberry Pi running OpenElec and the PCs running OpenELEC all appear as well as the local device.

it has to be something with your setup; it worked OOTB for me

Perfect, that screenshot was exactly what I was looking for. It's got to be a network issue of some kind. Thanks for taking the time to install Mezzmo your stuff just to help a guy out.
(2014-07-31, 01:49)smitbret Wrote: Perfect, that screenshot was exactly what I was looking for. It's got to be a network issue of some kind. Thanks for taking the time to install Mezzmo your stuff just to help a guy out.

I'm pretty sure the android app is just mirroring what the server is reporting. Does the Chromebox show up under the 'media devices' section on the server?
(2014-07-31, 02:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 01:49)smitbret Wrote: Perfect, that screenshot was exactly what I was looking for. It's got to be a network issue of some kind. Thanks for taking the time to install Mezzmo your stuff just to help a guy out.

I'm pretty sure the android app is just mirroring what the server is reporting. Does the Chromebox show up under the 'media devices' section on the server?

The Android App just scans the network for any device that reports itself as DLNA/UPnP and then posts it as a device on that screen. I can get the devices to identify on the Android App, even with the server disconnected from the network. I had originally sent the issue to Mezzmo along with some logs and they reported that the Chromebox isn't identifying itself as a UPnP device.

Anyway, this morning I completely swapped out routers (had an old D-Link in the garage) and that made no difference.

Then I moved the RaspPi to the original Chromebox location and connected it with all of the same cables. No difference, the Pi shows up and the Chroembox doesn't.

Then I moved the Chromebox to the Pi's location in the bedroom and hooked it up with all of the same cables and no difference.

I can stream media to the Chromebox via the Mezzmo server. It shares via SMB just perfect. All internet functions are there. Iit just won't identify itself so that I can "Cast" or "Play To" from mobile devices using apps like BubbleUPnP or Mezzmo Android.

I compared all of myOpenELEC/XBMC settings from the RaspPi and my desktop PC vs. the Chromebox and nothing is different.

At this point, I am considering restoring it to stock and just doing a warranty claim. Before I do that, I may restore the OS and install XBMC on top of Chrome to see if that changes anything.

Thanks for checking into this from your end.
that sucks. Have you tried using something like AllCast on your mobile devices?
(2014-07-31, 18:07)Matt Devo Wrote: that sucks. Have you tried using something like AllCast on your mobile devices?

I installed Allcast, thinking it was just like Mezzmo or BubbleUPnP. I opened it up but it just sat and scanned but never appeared to find any of my XBMC locations. Opened Mezzmo back up and there they were. It looks like you need the AllCast Receiver, too on the playback device. Since the Chromebox is the only device with issues, it doesn't appear that Allcast would really be a workable solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox and UPnP0