Req Integrated On-Screen - additional Augmented Info (Artist search, Shazam, ...)
Hej,

just an idea as I found some interesting link here. The integration of a second screen into XBMC (KODI Smile). Here is a description of what I mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_screen

I am thinking of a special AddOn which could display additional information as:

Artist information - should be already available thru scrappers
Music currently playing - could be done with Shazam integration into XBMC (KODI Smile)
general Movie (or TV show) information - for movies and tv shows in the DB this should n to be a big deal but could be a challenge for Live TV section
additional info - wikipedia and other sources could be used.

some links I found: Shazam API, github
I have the Shazam App installed on OSX (Macbook Pro) and it works in the background. It works really perfect and displays all songs played in the background permanently. this also works when I play songs with youtube.

What about wolframalpha, google and/or wikipedia integration?

I did not find any similar add-on in XBMC so if I was just incapable please don't be too rude to me ...

I think such a plugging or addon or service would be a big hit for KODI. Big Grin

thanks for reading and feedback.
/krijeck
rebuilding ....
seems that this is just for me an interesting feature. BlushRolleyesSadConfused

Actually I am using my Laptop most of the time as a second screen and I am (almost permanently) looking for additional information online. Then I accidentally found the link posted in my first post: http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/06/inair-s...d-tv-demo/ and thought this might also be very cool in XBMC. A lot of information is already scrapped with the scrappers so we know the actors playing in the movies or series and we know the plot of it. so why not integrate a function with a slide in info panel which is interactive and which gives the possibility to search for some additional info on (predefined) websites (for example wikipedia).
Sometimes during the watching of a movie I am hearing a song which I like and it would be nice to have something to recognize these music tracks.

/krijeck
rebuilding ....
Isn't this pretty much what many of the remote apps do for Android and iOS? No real add-on needed on XBMC/Kodi's side, unless you want it to be a web UI add-on so you can see it via a browser.
(2014-08-09, 12:30)Ned Scott Wrote: Isn't this pretty much what many of the remote apps do for Android and iOS? No real add-on needed on XBMC/Kodi's side, unless you want it to be a web UI add-on so you can see it via a browser.

not necessarily. exactly the iOS or Android device I wanted to remove (avoid). Pretty similar to that what is shown in the video (link I posted).
most iOS apps I know are just remotes and show at most the plot of the movies. what I think would be benefical and some kind of unique for XBMC (now KODI) would be an integrated dynamic info screen.

with dynamic I am thinking of following use case (just as an example):
watching a movie - I press a certain button - a side bar appears which shows several selectable entries (Shazam, Wikipedia, IMDB, ...) - I select one of the entries and the respective info appears (best case also in the side bar (or top or whatever). So if I like the music which is playing I get the info directly on the screen without moving my eyes away. or if I am watching some movies or TV series in a row I am in between a movie and I want to know the actors in the movie. the table or phone is far away - so just press one button and the info is directly on the screen. I think (at least I do) a lot of people still prefer standard remotes. so there is no "second screen" available per default. Blush

additionally what about live TV. I am watching a channel and a new movie starts. I want to know the plot. OK, there is EPG but what about the actors in the movie. imagine I like the movie so I think of if I do have some more movies of that actors in my database. something like that.

I would live such a feature.
thanks for reading,
/krijeck
rebuilding ....
Yes, but from a technical perspective, the APIs and such used there are what we would be looking at. They would relay the current playing data, which could then be used to look up additional information (and even instruct XBMC to play something discovered as a result, if desired). It could possibly be done completely within XBMC itself if done as a web interface/app/add-on.
I guess what krijeck is trying to suggest is a way to display more information "over" the currently playing media (movie/episode/music...) and a way to select which information to display (using the remote, or a second device connected to xbmc through JSONRPC). So it is a "Second Screen" that is still "Integrated" in your TV screen (and not really a second screen) as the title state it. The user can press a button in the remote while watching a media, and a side menu is displayed on the screen where you can find many other information and actions about the media (Plot, Actors bios and photos, Wikipedia pages, sharing in social media...etc).

XBMC already have enough information about the kind of media being played, so no need for content recognition as done by the device in the link (the really hard part). But there is a need to add a new type of add-ons "On-Screen Information" that can provide the information in a standard way (of course it can use the already scraped information by XBMC). Also, an official way to display the information and browse through it over the playing media, so that skinners take care of the visual look based on their skin. Finally, XBMC would query all the "On-Screen Information" add-ons with the currently playing media, and get multiple results from them to display them on the "over media" information screen.

To be honest, this can be done with a script add-on, which subclass the Player, and monitor the media being played and the input of the user. Once the user press the activation input, the add-on will overlay a side menu with all the possible actions. The add-on will query and gather all the possible information, and display them in the side menu. However, this will lead to the script having a different skin (or skinners adopting it), and will lead to more work on the script developer to gather all the information.

Edit: what really impressed me about that device is that it can do content recognition. I don't know how they manage to recognise a media as being about NASA, F1, or a movie to the point that it shows a related soundtrack. I sure think such content recognition engine for the media content (and not name) whether local or remote will be a great feature for any future media center.
(2014-08-10, 11:53)tria Wrote: I guess what krijeck is trying to suggest is a way to display more information "over" the currently playing media (movie/episode/music...) and a way to select which information to display (using the remote, or a second device connected to xbmc through JSONRPC). So it is a "Second Screen" that is still "Integrated" in your TV screen (and not really a second screen) as the title state it. The user can press a button in the remote while watching a media, and a side menu is displayed on the screen where you can find many other information and actions about the media (Plot, Actors bios and photos, Wikipedia pages, sharing in social media...etc).

XBMC already have enough information about the kind of media being played, so no need for content recognition as done by the device in the link (the really hard part). But there is a need to add a new type of add-ons "On-Screen Information" that can provide the information in a standard way (of course it can use the already scraped information by XBMC). Also, an official way to display the information and browse through it over the playing media, so that skinners take care of the visual look based on their skin. Finally, XBMC would query all the "On-Screen Information" add-ons with the currently playing media, and get multiple results from them to display them on the "over media" information screen.

To be honest, this can be done with a script add-on, which subclass the Player, and monitor the media being played and the input of the user. Once the user press the activation input, the add-on will overlay a side menu with all the possible actions. The add-on will query and gather all the possible information, and display them in the side menu. However, this will lead to the script having a different skin (or skinners adopting it), and will lead to more work on the script developer to gather all the information.

Edit: what really impressed me about that device is that it can do content recognition. I don't know how they manage to recognise a media as being about NASA, F1, or a movie to the point that it shows a related soundtrack. I sure think such content recognition engine for the media content (and not name) whether local or remote will be a great feature for any future media center.

thanks tria for pointing out what is meant more detailed as I did. I thought with posting the link its already clear what I mean. Blush

to your edit at the end of the post: this is what I see also. content recognition is a great feature for all future media centers. And therefor I wanted to request this feature - without thinking or knowing of the impact into the code or skins of XBMC.

in my opinion real content recognition wouldn't be needed in XBMC. we already have all (most of) information available via the scrappers and EPG information. we could also use other existing APIs (as mentioned Shazam) to get more info and then display this additional information on the screen if requested by the user.

/krijeck
rebuilding ....
Maybe I am too old. When I first went to the movies they played "God Save the Queen" before the movie started, and we all stood up.

But hell, I have a 65 inch TV so I can watch my movie on a 65 inch TV, not my movie plus a whole lot of shit which either hides the movie or requires the movie to shrink to make room for the extra stuff. Nor do I want to be distracted.

Nice technology, kinda too much on screen though.

Although - I am kinda intrigued too.

If this were an addon i would certainly want to try it out, but whether I'd want to actually use it that much is another matter.

OK I talked myself into it. I admit to looking up IMDB and other sites on my tablet while trying to remember what else that odd looking actor has been in, what else this director has done, what happened in the last episode...

Bring it on!

PS, so long as I keep the remote!!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-11, 12:31)nickr Wrote: Maybe I am too old. When I first went to the movies they played "God Save the Queen" before the movie started, and we all stood up.

you're never to old ... Wink

(2014-08-11, 12:31)nickr Wrote: But hell, I have a 65 inch TV so I can watch my movie on a 65 inch TV, not my movie plus a whole lot of shit which either hides the movie or requires the movie to shrink to make room for the extra stuff. Nor do I want to be distracted.

65 inch gives you enough room to see some additional info. Actually I would like to see such infos onscreen in a transparent sidebar which looks nice and does not interfere too much with the viewed movie and is still good to read. ... and I would like to have a 65 inch screen as well!!! Undecided

(2014-08-11, 12:31)nickr Wrote: Nice technology, kinda too much on screen though.

Although - I am kinda intrigued too.

me too. Nod

(2014-08-11, 12:31)nickr Wrote: If this were an addon i would certainly want to try it out, but whether I'd want to actually use it that much is another matter.

OK I talked myself into it. I admit to looking up IMDB and other sites on my tablet while trying to remember what else that odd looking actor has been in, what else this director has done, what happened in the last episode...

Bring it on!

Actually I was thinking more of an integration into the core of XBMC but an add-on would be a hit as well. I was thinking of providing at least APIs for the basic information to the add-on and then the add-on to gather more (detailed) information from other sources online.

(2014-08-11, 12:31)nickr Wrote:
PS, so long as I keep the remote!!
rebuilding ....
I found this python program thats integrate shazam.

https://github.com/bmoquist/Shazam
(2014-08-09, 11:56)krijeck Wrote: seems that this is just for me an interesting feature. BlushRolleyesSadConfused

Actually I am using my Laptop most of the time as a second screen and I am (almost permanently) looking for additional information online. Then I accidentally found the link posted in my first post: http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/06/inair-s...d-tv-demo/ and thought this might also be very cool in XBMC. A lot of information is already scrapped with the scrappers so we know the actors playing in the movies or series and we know the plot of it. so why not integrate a function with a slide in info panel which is interactive and which gives the possibility to search for some additional info on (predefined) websites (for example wikipedia).
Sometimes during the watching of a movie I am hearing a song which I like and it would be nice to have something to recognize these music tracks.

/krijeck

Hi krijeck,

Did you advance with this initiative on this time? It sounds very interesting.

Thanks.
Better idea would be to extend the official Kodi Remote for Android and Kodi Remote for iOS, as well as the API they use if needed, that way you could just use those apps on your second screens

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official_XBMC_Remote/Android

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=129

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official_XBMC_Remote/iOS

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193

Both these apps are open source

https://github.com/freezy/android-xbmcremote

https://github.com/joethefox/Unofficial-...BMC-Remote
This addons are web-controls like Chorus.

The idea of @krijeck is quite different. He comments that it would be good have a new panel in the DVDPlayer (Activated with a new button), and in this panel show additional information associated to the media is playing.

On my point of view, this is a very good idea for a Media Center. The second window could be a panel or a fisical second window, but the info to show is related to the media (Not the author, time, IMDB info ...)
(2015-01-12, 14:48)ysilvela Wrote: I found this python program thats integrate shazam.

hello,

good find! Probably some developers could have look at this git and probably the chance of this being integrated rises. HuhWink
I could imagine a service addon or similar.

might be a good start.
rebuilding ....
(2015-01-13, 21:05)krijeck Wrote:
(2015-01-12, 14:48)ysilvela Wrote: I found this python program thats integrate shazam.

hello,

good find! Probably some developers could have look at this git and probably the chance of this being integrated rises. HuhWink
I could imagine a service addon or similar.

might be a good start.

First phase we need to investigate how show aditional info over DVDPlayer. I read that some config xml could be used to create layers.
Maybe somebody of kodi team could help us.

Another possibility is modify the codecs but it would be a big work.

The xml file is VideoOSDSettings.xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated On-Screen - additional Augmented Info (Artist search, Shazam, ...)1