My lan is to slow?
Hi

When i am looking at movies with my XBMC mediaplayer The Little Black Box it slows down the gaming for other familymembers.

My question, what is to slow? My Router WNDR-3700 or my Internetconnection 100/10 or something else i have forgotten to configure?
Asus s1-at5nm10e - Netgear READY NAS 102 - Wired -
-Receiver Pioneer VSX-529-K - ASUS RT-AC58U - USB HDD connected Seagate - SONY BRAVIA KDL-55W955B - Netgear ReadyNAS 102
perhaps tell us how you watch your movies ?
do you got a nas ?
wired or wireless and the rest of the familymembers that are gaming ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-08-07, 19:00)TRaSH Wrote: perhaps tell us how you watch your movies ?
do you got a nas ?
wired or wireless and the rest of the familymembers that are gaming ?

As my signature is saying i'm using a wired LAN and mainly i play movies from my PC through the lan.

The gamers is using a wire as well. Smile
-Receiver Pioneer VSX-529-K - ASUS RT-AC58U - USB HDD connected Seagate - SONY BRAVIA KDL-55W955B - Netgear ReadyNAS 102
So no streaming from the plugins we don't want to talk about here.
Good :-)
Because streaming from the web takes up some bandwidth that gamers need.
Well then I would say check your cables,
Do you got QOS enabled ?
No USB drive connected to your router where you're trying to stream from ?
Because that could strain the router.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Most QOS on routers, even within DDWRT is for external WAN traffic to all LAN clients only, it doesn't apply to local data usage between LAN clients.

That said, even 100mbit should be enough bandwidth to play a movie and game on separate boxes. Maybe the router is so crappy, the streaming traffic stresses the CPU and it gets slower to respond?
The router is maybe not the best but it is not crop either.
I had QOS enabled but I've turned it of now and one of the games told me that it seemed better.
Local streaming should not be affecting online gaming, as your streams are all switched while the gaming traffic is being routed. QOS won't do anything because it only operates on the routed traffic. I'd start investigating processor load on your router. A 100Mb switched connection is more than enough for streaming across your LAN to XBMC. You're going to have to look at your network setup.
a good option might be to get a dedicated gigabit switch for the local network, then just use 1 cable to the router.

i used to have issues with my router overheating and either cutting wireless connections, the internet, or just generally slowing down network traffic. once i moved my hardware to a dedicated switch and used the router only for the internet traffic, stability and performance improved quite a bit.
Hi

Thanks, i'm not god at this as you might have figured out by my question.

How can i check up my processor load on my router?

And where to start looking for problem in the network setup?

Is there a way to check up the network and how god it is and maybe stress the router in some way?
I know i have had programs that stressed my computer and tested it, is there likewise programs for router/network/lan?
Monitoring the CPU may be possible in the router admin interface.

Other than that I think any tests will require some sort of reference.
To test a a router/switch you need to have two already tested clients and tested cables.

I just started to verify my network as a prepartion for getting fiber soon.
Turns out that my atom "server" only manage 30mbs. Between two laptops I get 100Mbs.

Now I dont get any further since I cant garantee that the problem is not one of the laptops.
I have two netgear routers with tomato firmware. One is used only as a switch in the basement.
Never though the switching could be an issue but we will see.

In this case I will look into buying a "real" switch alternatively buy a high performance router. The latter will come soon anyway.
Can you give some examples of what a REAL high performance router is?
I am looking at the top AC1900 routers.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/...s-rt-ac68u

At the time I was mostly looking at WAN - LAN troughput and to improve wireless but I assume they have ok LAN - LAN.

Hm, I don't find any data for LAN - LAN performance which could indicate that it is normally not an issue.
If that is true I guess one of both of the laptops is limited to 100mbs. I probably better carry the desktop computer to a wired connection and test again...

I would also be interested in a switch for the basement anyway but I have no clue what to go for as I never considered switch performance.

What I already did was to bridge the modem/router and use it only as modem. It could not handle the routing AND being a modem at the same time. DNS hanged all the time.
If you have a modem/router this could be your problem.
Hi!

Thanks!

No i dont have a modem/router. Just a router, and maybe badly configured because of my poor knowlegde of network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My lan is to slow?0