looking to replace cable
hey guys just found this forum and just started looking into xbmc as my cable contract is about to expire in a couple of months. i am looking to mainly be able to stream live tv and have lots of extra content available to me.

was looking to purchase a jailbroken unteathered apple tv 2 off ebay for 200$ or so but not sure what my other options are. was looking into getting the amazon fire tv as the specs in that machine was better.

my budget is 200-250$ if there is nothing else better for 250$ than the atv2 i'll just end up getting that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
There are FAR better options than ATV2 in your price range. The lower end NUCs, the Asus Chromeboxes come to mind.

However don't cut your cable yet. Are you sure that all the channels you want to watch are available legally as streams? XBMC/Kodi does not support illegal downloading.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
there are many options out there, maybe too many...
Roku has tons of channels. Or, for live TV, HDHomeRun is a good choice, imo (if you want to use it with a cable service you'll need the Prime)
Minix Neo does a decent job too (comes with XBMC installed) and you can add IceFilms, Snag Films, etc....
Bebe please don't mention those addons. Read the rules.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not to hijack this thread but since I'm new to XBMC as well, can you point me to a listing of available "programming" that are analogous to things we might see on cable? I'm going to cancel my satellite subscription soon as I'm no longer on contract and I'm tired of paying $100/mo for something I don't use all that much.
PSFinAL - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119117
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I've found amazon fire TV with xbmc on ebay for 140$ is this a better option than the atv2 with xbmc?
(2014-09-17, 14:17)dannyny Wrote: I've found amazon fire TV with xbmc on ebay for 140$ is this a better option than the atv2 with xbmc?

Yes, the fire TV is better than atv2, but why buy a $99 product for $140 on eBay?
Buy from Amazon and install xbmc yourself. It's not hard to do.
And with the eBay one you'll almost certainly have to reinstall yourself at some point..
(2014-09-17, 14:42)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-09-17, 14:17)dannyny Wrote: I've found amazon fire TV with xbmc on ebay for 140$ is this a better option than the atv2 with xbmc?

Yes, the fire TV is better than atv2, but why buy a $99 product for $140 on eBay?
And with the eBay one you'll almost certainly have to reinstall yourself at some point..

Is it hard to do? I've jailbroken iPhone 1 back in the day but haven't been into jail breaking anything recently. I figure the extra 40$ is better to just let someone that does it all the time handle it.
(2014-09-17, 19:38)dannyny Wrote:
(2014-09-17, 14:42)popcornmix Wrote:

Is it hard to do? I've jailbroken iPhone 1 back in the day but haven't been into jail breaking anything recently. I figure the extra 40$ is better to just let someone that does it all the time handle it.

Read the wiki. It is not hard. No jailbreak required.
Easy way: Download XBMC 13.2 final here, then use this tool to install it on your Fire TV.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-09-17, 21:27)hdmkv Wrote: Easy way: Download XBMC 13.2 final here, then use this tool to install it on your Fire TV.

thank you! would this work on a mac?? i dont know a pc at the moment.
I am sure that there are ADB tools for OSX. Do read the wiki page won't you?
Found the fire TV at staples for 80$ with tax going to attempt to do this myself. Thanks guys!
250$ is enough to get a good HTPC with core i3 CPU, 4G RAM 16G SSD, install xbmc
HTPC|Mini PC|Palm-Sized PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
looking to replace cable0