Solved Cannot upgrade linux = cannot upgrade xbmc
I did a do release upgrade a while back to bring me from ubuntu 12.10 -> 13-> 14.04. All seems to have gone well with the output lsb_release -a being

Code:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

However, my install of Webmin reports on the system info page that I'm running 13.10. As a result I am not receiving the current version upgrades for xbmc. do-release-upgrade tells me i am at the current version.

Any assistance would be great. thank you
release upgrades, especially several is a pita, been known to kill the ppas and configs, try adding the current ppa and look at

Code:
sudo apt-get policy

see if your sources are pointing correct release (trusty) and that you also have the team xbmc ppa inserted. If team xbmc ppa is not there add it. See Official_Ubuntu_PPA&oldid=78909 (wiki) for how to add remove ppas, and what ppas to use

tbh I would reinsatll from scratch rather than trying to chase all the reasons it could cause this and fixing them, unless of course you dont mind spending a month looking/fixing
the output of sudo apt-get policy is invalid operation policy

How do I check my sources ?

I agree that a fresh install would be best, but i simply don't have the time for it and I have to keep the system wife-proof (i.e. if the tv ain't working i'm in the doghouse)
Try apt-cache policy xbmc xbmc.bin

That at least will show you the installed version, and the candidate version (to be installed if you apt-get it). It will also show you the PPA's that you have for XBMC.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Output:

Code:
xbmc:
  Installed: 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy
  Candidate: 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy
  Version table:
*** 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:12.3+dfsg1-3ubuntu1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
xbmc-bin:
  Installed: 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy
  Candidate: 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy
  Version table:
*** 2:13.1~git20140606.0917-gotham-0saucy 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:12.3+dfsg1-3ubuntu1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

I see that xbmc is looking to saucy ( i think), hope this is an easy fix.
(2014-09-22, 19:07)Mike8913 Wrote: the output of sudo apt-get policy is invalid operation policy

How do I check my sources ?

I agree that a fresh install would be best, but i simply don't have the time for it and I have to keep the system wife-proof (i.e. if the tv ain't working i'm in the doghouse)

sorry, the correct command was

sudo apt-cache policy to check the sources.

try this.

sudo apt-get install pastebinit
sudo apt-cache policy | pastebinit

and post the link you get from that last command, that should tell us if the team xbmc ppa is still there, I suspect is not, therefore if that is so, what you already have installed is irrelevant since the ppa that provides the packages is not there anymore. Or at very least the ppa will say saucy and then changing that to trusty should correct issues, but first things first.
Output

I think you're right, but please take a look. And furthermore, is the ppa gone because of the system upgrade?
its not there. As I originally said, release upgrades break all sorts of configs and tend to remove custom ppas'

try this

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

also note you have pinned or held packages you may need to unpin or unhold them.

Code:
sudo apt-mark unhold <package names>
for that.
thanks, added the ppa and all is well. wish i knew it was that easy. Webmin still reports saucy as the ubuntu version, not sure why.
@uNiversal I have upgraded countless machines during the last few years and it's very rare that anything breaks, especially if you babysit it and don't let it override any configuration files you might have changed. PPAs will like you said be disabled but that's not really a bug, just a precaution the upgrader takes to ensure it doesn't accidentally get the package updates wrong. I shiver every time I hear someone say "just reinstall it" when they're talking about a simple Ubuntu upgrade, like it's 2008 all over again.
Never said it was a bug. and in respects to remainder the other comments fall away into irrelevancy since main issue was dealt with a silver bullet and thus case is solved.

@Mike8913 full edit main-post and mark as solved. thx and enjoy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot upgrade linux = cannot upgrade xbmc0