Poll: HDTV users - Do you want video upscaled? - To the highest resolutions
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes - I always want to upsample.
25.00%
Yes - Only if the source video is of high enough resolution.
50.00%
No - I see no point in this.
25.00%
Total
4 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

HDTV users - Do you want video upscaled?
all:

i've recently split the option of "auto widescreen switching" into 2 options:

1. auto widescreen switching
for when you are in pal/ntsc or 480p modes, it will switch between 16:9 and 4:3 based on source.

2. upsample videos to gui resolution
for all you 720p/1080i people who always want to upsample.

disabling the "upsample videos to gui resolution" option will cause xbmc to choose the best res at which to display the video.

after 1.0 is final, some of the options here will be replaced with a more intuitive one based on you selecting a screenmode to use for video playback.

eg. resolution to use for videos: pal/ntsc/480p/720p/1080i/auto

plus a couple of other options which depend upon the resolution selected (such as pal60 which is only valid if you are running in pal mode, and auto widescreen switching, which is only valid if you're not in 720p or 1080i mode etc.)

the auto resolution mode will behave in the same way as the "choose best resolution" mode used to work. ie it'll only pick 720p or 1080i if the source video is large enough (ie more than 720x480).

i'll also be replacing the stretch and zoom options with a more appropriate aspect ratio/pan+scan option from the video osd.

please test the current changes, and let me know what you think of the future ideas.

thanks,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ mar. 18 2004,03:21 Wrote:anomaly:
things will become heaps easier once a pc based skinning preview tool is available.
sorry for going off topic but, might i guess that there is such a thing in the worx by th xbmc team?
maybe if some of you didn't notice, but i'm working at the moment on the default mediacenter skin to add 720p.

look for a progress in the following thread:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....hl=720p
floink:

not that i'm aware of. there were reports of one being written independently in visual basic, but nothing seems to have come of it.

i'm sure with the media portal code available now, it shouldn't be hard for someone to code something up quickly.

even just a quick "preview in different resolutions" would be advantageous to skinners.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i am a bit confused. when i upgraded to the most recent versions, my hdtv will not let me switch the screen size. i have a 51 inch toshiba. is this a result of the recent changes made in the source? if so, is it possible to disable this 'functionality'? i looked through the settings and the config file, but i cannot figure out how to change this? i didn't even realize peripherals could disable my tv functions... any help greatly appreciated.

-prestige
(prestige @ may 05 2004,00:31 Wrote:i am a bit confused.  when i upgraded to the most recent versions, my hdtv will not let me switch the screen size.  i have a 51 inch toshiba.  is this a result of the recent changes made in the source?  if so, is it possible to disable this 'functionality'?  i looked through the settings and the config file, but i cannot figure out how to change this?  i didn't even realize peripherals could disable my tv functions... any help greatly appreciated.

-prestige
i assume that by "screen size" you mean format & resolution.

you can only change your settings in xbmc to whichever resolutions you've enabled in the dashboard. boot to the ms dashboard & make sure the settings are correct in there first.
the actual option on my tv is called 'picture size'. it's not a matter of changing resolution. my tv allows me to zoom in the following formats:

0 normal
1 theatre wide 1
2 theatre wide 2
3 theatre wide 3
4 full

i use these options to zoom in media where there are black lines at the top and bottom. this is not related to my xbox settings as versions of xmbc prior to the last couple of weeks do not interfere with this functionality. most recent builds, however, seem to disable this function in my tv.

thanks for your suggestion, but this in to related to my xbox settings. this is most definately a result of recent changes in xbmc... what i am wondering is how to disable this.

-prestige
well if you use 480p, 720p or 1080i resolutions you can't use those functions! Smile

it is not the fault of xbmc, but by design of your tv. my plasma does the same thing.

in what res do you have xbmc?
i believe i am using 720 resolution in xbmc. here's why am confused... i have not changed my resolution settings on the xbox, in xbmc, or on my tv. yet if i use xbmc 2004-04-03 and earlier, i am able to change the picture size using my tv remote. when using one of the more recent versions, i receive there error 'function not available' when i press the picture size button on my remote. obviously, the quick answer is, "well, then use an older version of xbmc". i will do that if there is no other option, however i would like to remain current with the project if possible.

so, is there any way i can get my tv's screen size functionality back while using the more recent builds of xbmc?

-prestige
1. what resolution is the xbmc gui set to? (shown in the settings menu)

2. what resolution is xbmc using for the video you are trying to play? (press the start button while viewing a movie)

3. what is your "auto switch widescreen" option set to?

4. what is your "upsample to gui resolution" option set to?

well why do you think it is in 720p, you can check it easilly in settings (system info) which res xbmc is in.

and then again:
your tv can't zoom resolutions of 720p and 1080i, so if your tv says that the function is not available, it is really not available and has nothing to do with xbmc.

so check you resolution and we know for sure.
have you tried enabling/disabling the auto widescreen switching option?

st
thanks for helping me troubleshoot this. i double checked and yes, it is 780.

i cannot change the 'auto switching widescreen'. it is 'greyed out'.

i changed the 'upsample' setting and viola.. i have control of my tv again! jmarshall you the man!

-prestige
just so that you understand what is going on:

1. you are running xbmc in 720p - this is a 16:9 mode only, thus the reason that you cannot alter the "auto widescreen switching" mode - it is always in ws.

2. the option that you can alter is the "upsample videos to gui resolution". if set to on, then it will output all videos in 720p, scaling them up as it does. thus, your tv will be running in 720p mode and hence won't have it's menu for zooming the sources. if set to off, then xbmc will choose the resolution based on the video source. most video sources are only 720x480 or less in size, thus will be viewed in 480p mode. your tv will thus run in 480p mode, and the menu for zooming the sources will be enabled.

imo, the best quality will be obtained when the upsample videos to gui resolution is on. you're free to make up your own mind about this, though.

upscaling is indeed way better, you can check it yourself by playing a not very good divx and check how it looks on 480p and 720p. you will see the quality is way better on 720p then on 480p. (take a screenshot of both and you can compare it)

so please do upscale and 'loose' the ability to zoom with your tv (you can do that with xbmc anyway).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDTV users - Do you want video upscaled?0