Adding storage for XBMC - via NUC/Player or QNAP
Hi All,

My set-up described from my signature below.

All content resides in a 4 bay QNAP 469L - with 4 x 3TB WD (Reds I think), which the Intel NUC interfcaes to and then passes all data across to my Pioneer AVR, (4K) via HDMI and then on the Samsung UHD (4K) TV.

I'm now getting fairly close to maxing out storage on the QNAP server and was thinhg as an interim solution to add a 4TB drive. So my questions are:

1. Where is it best to add the drive - to the a) QNAP file sever via USB 3.0 (and then add another source for XBMC or b) direct to the Intel NUC with USB 3.0. (and add another source)
Primary objective is to have a simple to set-up/manage, robust and stable additional source of movies, seamlessly integrated into the existing environment - ie there's just more movies there, no need to change anything in XBMC - after adding new source
2. Would there be any latency / speed differences?
3. Can both happily handle 4TB drives ?

Appreciate any guidance on this - thanks in advance / Jim
Intel NUC D54250WYKH | Core i5 | 128 GB SSD | 8GB RAM |HDMI to Pioneer VSX1123
OpenELEC V4.2.0 (Generic.x86_64)
XBMC Version: 13.2 (Sep 26, 2014)
Skin: Aeon Nox Version 4.1.9
XBMC/Kodi is happy to work with very mixed sources spread locally and on the network. It won't really make any difference to XBMC. That being said, I would connect it to the QNAP just because that seems like the logical place to put additional storage. That way all computers on your network can easily access the additional drive without having to have two file servers (although that wouldn't really be that complicated).

As far as playing video back, there will be no speed issues however you set things up.

The NUC can handle a 4TB drive. I assume the same for QNAP, but you might want to double check with QNAP.
Awesome - Thanks Ned

QNAP it is and I'll double check to ensure it can play with a 4 TB drive / Jim
Intel NUC D54250WYKH | Core i5 | 128 GB SSD | 8GB RAM |HDMI to Pioneer VSX1123
OpenELEC V4.2.0 (Generic.x86_64)
XBMC Version: 13.2 (Sep 26, 2014)
Skin: Aeon Nox Version 4.1.9

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding storage for XBMC - via NUC/Player or QNAP0