New Setup Help, Blu Rays are a problem
I'm reevaluating my current HTPC setup. I've always been a big believer in having a single device hooked up to a TV for all of my media needs, but am now struggling to get everything I want/need from an HTPC.

Currently, I have an HTPC (Intel i5-2500, Nvidia 460, blu ray drive, 8gb memory, 250gb SSD, secondary 500gb HD) running Windows 7 and using Total Media Theater to watch blu ray discs. My DVD collection is mostly ripped down and stored on the secondary hard drive, but because the lower quality is becoming terribly evident I've been slowly transitioning to blu rays. My family also watches Netflix and on rare occasion rents something from Amazon Prime's streaming service or from a local Redbox (in order to watch new releases before deciding to purchase or not). My teenage son also like to play the occasional computer game on Steam.

So, here's my issues/questions:

I would like to transition to Linux. I've done the locked-in Apple thing (with Macs, iTunes, and so forth), but it got too expensive to stay up to date with. I've been doing the Microsoft thing since then, and although everything is supported, I couldn't stand Windows 8 (with a keyboard and mouse), and I was really let down by the big "Windows 10" announcement and the issues surrounding Windows XP's end-of-life. I like the "vibe" and goals of Linux, and I've used it at work for years (as an IT support and server admin), but can't seem to figure out how to make it work with my HTPC needs. How do you folks handle blu rays and Netflix on the Linux side? Do I just buy several really large hard drives and rip everything to them? What software do you guys use to do that (MakeMKV?)? Or do you supplement your HTPC with a blu ray player, Roku, or other separate device?

Are blu rays even the way to go for HD movies? I like owning my movies, and knowing (or at least, believing) that they won't suddenly disappear from my collection. I worry when buying from iTunes, Amazon, or Vudu that the movies will suddenly not be available at a future date. I've literally been burned that way before and don't like the idea of my investment going up in smoke again.

Finally, speakers have become a problem for me. I currently use an older set of Logitech 2.1 speakers (similar to the current Z623 set) and they have been wonderful for everything from movies to games. Problem is, they only work from the HTPC. I want to have a single-device-for-everything setup, but if I supplement with a secondary device I'm stuck using the TV speakers (YUCK!). So, what's a good speaker solution? I've been looking at soundbars, but wasn't sure if the quality was comparable to my Logitech speakers. I was also wondering if plugging my computer's HDMI into a soundbar, and then the soundbar into the TV would mess up the HDCP required by some streaming services.

I've been doing my research, but have felt like I'm running in circles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
As far as your Windows 8 comment goes I'm in full agreement but have you tried something like classicshell or Start8? I use Start8 on my Windows 8 pc and by and large its now like using any other Windows machine and from what I've read classicshell does exactly the same except its free.

I'm not a fan of soundbars (or at least the Samsung ones I've seen/heard in action) but they do offer a solution for you, I have a couple of friends with them and all their equipment is connected via HDMI to it then an HDMI from the soundbar to the TV, they haven't had any HDCP issues but what I hate about the particular models I've seen is that there isn't any even rudimentary bass and treble controls let alone a graphic equaliser, the only way to alter the sound on them is to cycle through various DSP settings all of which sound horrible to me and I'm no audiophile!
I'm guessing you are probably looking for hardware options for BD's but I prefer to rip mine to mkv and save the disk as a backup. It's a little work initially but saves incompatibility problems and scratched disk problems and such. The video/audio quality is the same and with the right addon you can even enjoy the bonus features, with just a few button clicks. They do make for rather large video files though. Something like 30-40GB for a 2 hour movie. Just my 2 cents.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-10-17, 20:02)wgstarks Wrote: They do make for rather large video files though. Something like 30-40GB for a 2 hour movie.

WGStarks, how do you store them all? Do you use a bunch of internal hard drives or an array of some sort? I am leaning towards ripping and storing, but I'm worried about the ongoing cost of hard drives and replacing them.
I use an unRaid server. If all you want to use it for is a media server you could probably build a decent sized one for about $300 US. Depends a lot on how many drive bays you want.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-10-17, 22:27)wgstarks Wrote: I use an unRaid server. If all you want to use it for is a media server you could probably build a decent sized one for about $300 US. Depends a lot on how many drive bays you want.

Just one 3TB drive would cost me between $100 and $200. I guess that's my main issue is the cost of the drives.Each terabyte would hold about 20 to 30 movies (assuming ripped blu rays are 30gb to 50gb each), and I already have over 80 blu rays. Do you compress the movies down with Handbrake to save space? I could probably get each movie down to 10-15gb if I did that, but it would take a LONG time to compress that much content. This is what makes me wish there was a better option over using blu ray for HD movies.
I don't compress mine, but honestly I've done a little playing around with handbrake and if space was a problem I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Storage: build a real raid array / or use something like freenas
HDD: 6TB drives are out now 250-290 $. That would hold 120-150 bluray ISOs
Bluray: use anydvdhd from slysoft to rip to ISO
Netflix and others: not a good native solution for Linux but playon seems to be the bast option
(2014-10-18, 04:43)fnc1 Wrote: Bluray: use anydvdhd from slysoft to rip to ISO
How do you get AnydvdHD to work on Linux? I didn't think that was possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Setup Help, Blu Rays are a problem1