Win kodi a/v sync method issue
Hi There

1st of all, Thanks to all the devs for the most awesome htpc experience i have ever had on the pc.

Ive just installed the beta of kodi and am having a major stutter/hitching problem in 24p when i enable the A/V sync method to video clock (resample audio) option, hitting O during play shows some wacky error syncing too, turning off the sync playback to display restores the smoothness but im back with audio sync issues Tongue I have reverted back to gotham for now which is fine under said conditions.

windows 8.1, i5 2500k, nvidia 680(sound and video) 344.60 driver, 8gb memory, kodi beta 1

Looking forward to watching kodi progress and giving the next beta another shot Smile

Thanks
Hi,

If you do bitstreaming, Video Clock (Drop/Dupe) method is the way to go.

cheers
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
(2014-11-06, 12:45)sat4all Wrote: Hi,

If you do bitstreaming, Video Clock (Drop/Dupe) method is the way to go.

cheers

does not matter. there is enough intelligence in the code that it falls back to drop/dupe automatically for passthrough audio.
(2014-11-06, 06:07)Pillze Wrote: I have reverted back to gotham for now which is fine under said conditions.
Thanks

I am sorry. Without users willing to contribute in solving an issue we can't fix it. Do you think one of the devs can reproduce this issue and we just ignore it? On our systems all is fine. Fine if you decide to stay on Gotham but most likely the next time you try a more current version the issue will still be there.
See my earlier post...........

208121 (thread)

Granted I am in no way a "power user" but I found my multiple installs of different versions gummed me up.
As usual for me, it was self inflicted,

A complete uninstall and deletion of all files did the trick for me.

All is well in my Kodi Helix world now.

Also, I am digging the Transparency Skin now!
Hey

being as the problem only crept in between alpha 1 and beta 1, i would of thought the problem was already known about and i was posting more in the effort of reassurance, i can go and install kodi again and post a log if u wish, just i dont have alot of time and over the last few days i spent alot of time installing and uninstalling kodi/gotham, i dont think the issue has been ignored by the devs at all,i rather feel its known about and would probably be fixed without my input, but as it seems to be an isolated issue down to just me i will install kodi later and grab a debug log to post,

i did not mean to ruffle your feathers fernetmenta, you have me pegged wrong, im more than willing to help in anyway possible Smile

Thanks

EDIT : Heres a log Smile http://pastebin.com/tW1MP1je
Hey

Does anyone have any info on what i might be doing wrong or is it something that is out of my hands and i can stop troubleshooting now? Smile

Thanks
"sync playback to display" never worked reliable on Windows. please disable it. It should not have any influence on a/v sync. In case it has influence there is something wrong. please post a long for this case.

EDIT: why do you use DirectSound? please try with WASAPI.
Great! Thanks for clarifying, FernetMenta.

Just like OP I started to experience major stuttering in beta 1 with the "sync playback to display" option enabled. I've been using this option without problem for a couple of years so I never considered disabling it. Something has clearly changed in Beta 1 though (something in FFMPEG perhaps? I don't see the stuttering in Kodi Alpha 3). Luckily playback became smooth again when I disabled the "sync playback to display" option.

Now my question is why don't we remove this option completely (except perhaps keep it in advanced settings) for the Windows version since it's causing issues and, as you say, has never worked reliably? Or is it still required for some HW/OS combinations?

I'm using Windows 8.1 and a GeForce 210 graphcs card. It sits on a MB with AMD 780g chipset (built-in, but currently disabled, graphics/audio) if that matters.

I'm not sure about the A/V sync, looks alright atm but might be a little off. Anyone know a good test video to test/calibrate A/V sync?
Hi There

Thanks for the advice, i was using directsound because back when i was using frodo i tried using wasapi but i was getting some pops and crackles so i switched to directsound, i never messed with it again because it was working fine Smile
Switching over to wasapi again in kodi beta 2 seems to be working great although im not using passthrough this time.
The a/v sync has been a funny thing for me over quite some time, i was one of the users that had the 175ms sync issue in all 24p content, i fixed it for a while with advanced settings delay, but it was not ideal and then i found the sync playback to display option, yes its resampling all the audio but i had perfect sync so i thought they were the perfect settings for myself, over the last 2 nights iver tried reinstalling the beta 2 using wasapi and not using the sync playback to display and WELL what do ya know, everything seems to be in sync and playing great all bar 1 movie so far and i think thats more due to a bad backup rather than anything else. if i do come across a bunch of things i shall be sure to log and post again. I noticed a fix over the last 2 nights on the github which may fix my initial frame drop/sync issue with the settings i originally used Smile but with my new found sync i dont think i need to tick that option anymore Smile

Once again thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated Smile
(2014-11-09, 16:57)seeker83 Wrote: Great! Thanks for clarifying, FernetMenta.

Just like OP I started to experience major stuttering in beta 1 with the "sync playback to display" option enabled. I've been using this option without problem for a couple of years so I never considered disabling it. Something has clearly changed in Beta 1 though (something in FFMPEG perhaps? I don't see the stuttering in Kodi Alpha 3). Luckily playback became smooth again when I disabled the "sync playback to display" option.

Now my question is why don't we remove this option completely (except perhaps keep it in advanced settings) for the Windows version since it's causing issues and, as you say, has never worked reliably? Or is it still required for some HW/OS combinations?

I'm using Windows 8.1 and a GeForce 210 graphcs card. It sits on a MB with AMD 780g chipset (built-in, but currently disabled, graphics/audio) if that matters.

I'm not sure about the A/V sync, looks alright atm but might be a little off. Anyone know a good test video to test/calibrate A/V sync?

There was a bug as well in "sync playback to display" function. The fix should hit the nightlies soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi a/v sync method issue0