Glitches when time seeking, x264 MKV
I use VidCoder to do my own x264 encodes to MKV, 2pass in the 12-14 Mbps range, but some of the encodes (from retail Blu-ray) I've done don't "seek" very well. Any of the files that suffer from the problem consistently exhibit the issue, whereas some of the encodes I produce with VidCoder consistently seek perfectly fine and I can swiftly jump around the timeline and from chapter to chapter without delay or glitching. I'm not messing with keyint settings. Doesn't appear restricted to any particular VidCoder release.

This time seeking issue is a problem I have noticed specifically with XBMC, it doesn't seem apparent with players like VLC etc. However, I'm not entirely sure it's XBMC related, since it's so consistent and specific to particular files, rather than a random occurrence. This makes me wonder if it's a possible encoder issue. But I'm trying to research all avenues before drawing any conslusions.

This is how the issue manifests: as I'm sure you are all aware, XBMC has keymaps for jumping back and forward in time. The ones I use most are "back 7s", "back 30s", "forward 30s", and of course, chapter skipping. Also, sometimes I use the "jump to a specific time" function where you enter in a series of numbers during playback that correspond to a specific time in the video and then press enter and it jumps to that position. The problem I'm having is that at some point (but not right away) during playback these actions start to fail and instead of skipping back 7s or forward 30s or to a specific time or to the next chapter, it just kind of stutters and then keeps playing, and I have to stop and restart playback to get time skipping to work again, which isn't always successful, and often XBMC will fail to resume properly if playback is stopped in one of these "problem areas" and playback must be restarted from the beginning of the video. It tends to manifest around the same mark for any given video.

Any suggestions on what to do about correcting this issue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Glitches when time seeking, x264 MKV0