• 4(current)
Win 24fps playback problem Helix RC1
It's working for me just fine. Have you checked the "use fullscreen window" option in Settings / System / Video output?
Please file the bug with AMD. It's again their driver producing issues with standard software ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
No-no, this time it's Microsoft who did it wrong and on purpose. The problem affects all software and hardware.
Nice. I think M$ won't care as always :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-24, 10:55)a11599 Wrote: It's working for me just fine. Have you checked the "use fullscreen window" option in Settings / System / Video output?

Yes. Still drops frames. Just not as many.
Well, then your audio and video clocks are not in sync. Just use sync to display option, it was designed exactly to solve this kind of problems. If your clocks are not too far apart then you should be fine. A few dropped/duplicated audio packets in passthrough is not the end of the world IMO. Alternatively you need to tweak your system/hardware to combat the issue.
(2015-08-24, 19:45)a11599 Wrote: Well, then your audio and video clocks are not in sync. Just use sync to display option, it was designed exactly to solve this kind of problems. If your clocks are not too far apart then you should be fine. A few dropped/duplicated audio packets in passthrough is not the end of the world IMO. Alternatively you need to tweak your system/hardware to combat the issue.

Sorry, but while that's a good interim solution, it's not an ACTUAL solution, clearly. There's nothing wrong with my hardware (it's a Haswell Intel NUC). The problem is Kodi isn't switching refresh to 24.000hz to match the 24.000fps playback of some movies. I'd like to know why that is? Plus, I'd have to keep turning that sync to display on and off since I don't need to do it for 23.976hz material.
Debug Log please. I tested the patch and worked fine with both AMD and Intel HD 4400. Do you have issues with other media players as well or Kodi only?
(2015-08-25, 17:18)a11599 Wrote: Debug Log please. I tested the patch and worked fine with both AMD and Intel HD 4400. Do you have issues with other media players as well or Kodi only?

I've tested with two different systems, albeit both are Intel Haswell i5s with Intel HD5000 running Windows 10, connected to two different displays. And yes, I have the same issue with Plex (which is no surprise, I suppose - given their similarities). I haven't tried anything else. I'll get a log at some point.

I installed Kodi 16, and set it to full screen window. Then ran my UK Shaun the Sheep Blu-ray remux. It's a 24.000fps movie. Still skips frames.
No Debug Log no issue - period.
(2015-08-25, 18:59)fritsch Wrote: No Debug Log no issue - period.

Not sure that's quite true. But anyway, I have a log. I put it in Dropbox since there was no add-on on my system to upload it as per the log instructions. So here it is:

https://db.tt/BT2pM8DY

The movie skipped 3 frames when it started. This can happen (between 0 and 3 frames skipped) just because that's fairly normal for any file, working or otherwise. Usually happens before the image comes up. But then the movie dropped 3 more frames, one at a time, over the course of the next minute or two.
Please disable passthrough completely, choose 2.0 speaker layout, and enable Sync Playback to Display and retry.

Same issue?
(2015-08-25, 19:15)fritsch Wrote: Please disable passthrough completely, choose 2.0 speaker layout, and enable Sync Playback to Display and retry.

Same issue?

OK, let's back up here. So your solution above to just run Kodi and run full-screen window isn't the solution, then? Because you're suggesting something completely different, now. Let me explain.

I already mentioned above that syncing playback to display is an interim solution. Yes, that works, but you don't even need to run Kodi in a window or disable passthrough at all for this to work. I can run proper full screen, and just turn on Sync Playback to Display, and it works MOSTLY fine. No skipped frames, but the audio glitches of course. I can see that the video speed is being set to -0.100% sync, which makes sense to take the movie from 24.000fps to 23.976fps.

So as far as I'm aware, the only solution to this issue is to simply turn on "Sync Playback to Display." You don't need to run a fullscreen window, but passthrough is problematic, of course.

The question then remains: Why did you think a fullscreen window solved it? Sounds like you just happened to have a fullscreen window enabled when you turned on Sync Playback to Display/disabled passthrough and thought that was the solution?

The reason this isn't a proper solution is that I'd have to keep switching settings on and off depending on material. I'd rather not leave sync playback to display ON and passthrough OFF when watching 23.976hz material. Just is unnecessary.
Passthrough is always problematic when the wallclock does not match the video clock ... then one or the other will starve ... and this is what we see in your log. After some time video and audio go out of sync ... sure that the movie is not muxed with a faulty tool?
(2015-08-25, 19:31)fritsch Wrote: Passthrough is always problematic when the wallclock does not match the video clock ... then one or the other will starve ... and this is what we see in your log. After some time video and audio go out of sync ... sure that the movie is not muxed with a faulty tool?

Right, that makes sense. But the purpose of this thread: The question is why doesn't Kodi switch to 24.000hz refresh rate when provided with a 24.000fps video? And what can we do to make that work? The sync playback/disable passthrough is not really a permanent solution...

Yes, the movie works 100%. I remuxed it the same way as I did all my Blu-rays - with MakeMKV. I just don't have very many 24.000fps movies, which is why it doesn't come up SUPER often. Most are 23.976fps.

I'm also seeing (when enabling Sync Playback to Display), some "Missed" frames. I'm not sure what that is... But it counts up reasonably quickly. 18 within the first few minutes of the movie.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24fps playback problem Helix RC10