Thumbs and database folders
Hi,

For some unknown reason my databases are beyond what I thought was possible for a useable db (in file size) and my thumbnails folder is making Western Digital sweat thinking they can't build drives big enough fast enough. It's unexplainable large?

I browse YouTube etc loads and use xbmc for videos, games, tv, music etc but not to the degree to justify such a large thumbs folder.

I have looked in my thumbs and its mental in there. Jpg, dds, files form over 5 years ago which are clearly no use, and loads of random images from old plugins, videos, YouTube vides etc.. It's incredibly badly designed to keep all these orphaned files?

So quick question...

If I do a clean reinstall of xbmc...
make a back up of this current install...
Copy over all the settings, addons, favourites, sources etc from the backed up install to the new install (but leave out the database folder and thumbs folder)
Will xbmc rebuild it's thumbs for all sources automatically or will that skupper it?

What if I copy over the video database etc but not the textures.db and not the thumbs folder etc! Will that work and allow xbmc to see my sources, my video db and then rebuild the textures and thumbs for those sources.

Can do that? Will it work out well or end badly for me...
You might want to check out this:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158373

scott s.
Hi,

Yea I saw that previously... But as I have a clean install I don't currently have a thumbnails folder or any thumbs (I have a back up, but they are not present in my clean install...yet). I'd rather they weren't unless absolutely necessary.

I'd like like bring over my sources file, and my VideoDB etc from my old install, and have the new install cache only what it currently needs.

I just need to know what files to bring over...

To my understanding, I think if I brought over my sources file, then xbmc would see all my video sources but I would have no thumbs... So I'm not sure if I did a "update/scan for new" if xbmc would pull in new thumbs... Or if they would just appear naturally as I browsed the library... Or would I need to bring over the sources file AND the video.db ... I'm not sure exactly what files will allow me to start xbmc (on this clean install) have it see my "sources" notice that have thumbs/fanart etc and then begin re caching them all... Does it need the videos.db to do this or is that not required?

I know if you delete the thumbnails folder and textures db it should re cache everything.. I think... So that means I should be able to bring over only my videodb and sources for that to happen? I think? But some say the videoed needs to be removed too? I can't find a definitive answer and don't want to start xbmc without the required files to avoide any issue..

Appreciate the link though Wink
Ok got some advice from reddit who said it should just rebuild the textures.
I'll try that out and see how it goes.

If anyone else has any ideas on which particular files should be left, copied etc for a smooth transition, that would be really useful too Smile

Edit:

all sorted via reddit Smile
It's a nice easy way to clean the entire db if you move the right files Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbs and database folders0