XBMC 'back' navigation confusing, can it be changed?
Hi, I am just wondering why XBMC can't be like the Xbox 360 in the way that you can always press B to back out of something.

On XBMC you can press B to back out but to get back to the Main Menu you have hit MENU, so for newbies and my kids/wife it's a little confusing, you hit B to back out of a folder but then you have to hit MENU to get back, it would be great if you could just hit B to back out.

I know the XBMC is different than the 360 interface and I understand how to use it fine but I do think this could be simplified a little.

I really notice this when I am programing my Harmony 360 remote, using the 360 is easy. When I am using XBMC I often find myself hit B B B to get back to the menu and then realize and finally hit MENU to get back.

Anyone else get what I mean?

When I heard about the MC360 skin for XBMC I was excited as I thought it would fix this navigation issue but I don't belive it did. Must be due to the way XBMC's interface is designed. I love XBMC in everyway, I feel this is it's only interface weakness.

Instead of B B B for back back back, you have to go
B B MENU, just doen't flow.
keymap.xml
B B B only makes sense if that is the only way you access your music and files etc. (ie if it always must start in the root folder). While this may be easier in terms of remembering the key presses, it is inefficient in terms of browsing to music.

Instead, a separate button to go back a window from the parent folder item makes navigation more efficient.

You are welcome to map parent menu item to B, but expect things not to work very nicely - the window is likely to handle the action before it gets handled by the control. This would require a redesign of how actions are processed, which is not likely to happen short-term.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Just for the record, I have the same problem. I use it kind of like a web browser. If I want to go back to the screen I was on before this one, I hit B
Kind of like the home screen is the root of everything, and my music, my videos etc are sub directories.

Well, that's the way my brain sees it Smile

I can see that fixing it is a big deal, but maybe something to think about if someone happens to be tinkering in that area Smile

Thanks
this topic dismays me. after using XBMC for like 15 minutes this "problem" should resolve itself...
Is it possible with keymap.xml to make xbmc go back to the main menu when B is pressed and it is in a home dir ?
nope that would reqq special code
Markeen Wrote:Is it possible with keymap.xml to make xbmc go back to the main menu when B is pressed and it is in a home dir ?

That is how I think it should work. I like being able to go straight back to the main menu regardless of what subfolder you are in by pressing the menu button on the remote but once you are in the root folder and you click back again it would be nice for it to go back to the main menu.
I think the XBMC navigation is completely intuitive but I guess everyone sees things a little differently.

But anyway, if you're smart about the way you use the keymap.xml file you can probably achieve most anything you'd like to do. I have a Harmony 880 and with the help of an old Pronto TSU2000 I've been able to set-up individual activities on the 880 to go straight to the various sections of XBMC.

In other words, if I'm watching TIVO and I want to pop over and check the weather I just use the "Weather" activity on my 880 which changes the inputs on my receiver to the XBMC and send an IR signal to XBMC to switch directly over to the Weather screen. I've set these codes up for each area of XBMC that I use and it's impossible to get lost this way.

FWIW - I think that XBMC is an EXCELLENT application and love the fact that it's so customizable. I like to tinker with things and every time I've ever sat around and wondered if I could configure something in XBMC a certain way I've been able to find out how to do it in less than 15 minuntes. It's very intuitive...
i'd like to see this feature added : B button + Home dir = Prevmenu
if no one else is interested i could code it if you point me in the right direction (the way you'd do it).
yeah, grab the CVS and go to town Smile
Everything you need to alter is in GUIMediaWindow, look for ::OnAction and ::GoParentFolder(). In end you'll wind up with something like this (in psuedocode):

Code:
if (action == PREVIOUS)
{
  // copy GoParentFolder into a function which only returns the parent folder
  // but does not alter the navigation stack
  strParent = GetParentFolder();  
  if (strParent.IsEmpty())
  {
    // no parent means we're at the root
    m_guiWindowManager.PreviousWindow();
  }
  else
  {
    GoParentFolder();
  }
  return true;
}
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Wow, I thought I was just missing something but it seems this behavior would be a welcomed addition, it would be great if this could be added!
Patch created : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840
As always... feedback appreciated.
very nice thnx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 'back' navigation confusing, can it be changed?0