Bug workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server
EDIT2: This definitely fixed all my issues when running Kodi14.1 / Openelec 5.0.2, follow this link....

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1921762

EDIT1: Before trying to add shares from OSX please try this step first...

In Kodi > System > Settings > System > Power saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

Then Kodi > Video > Files > Add Videos > Browse> Zeroconf > Server name (SAMBA) > add shared folders

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this may be a bug that has been introduced with Helix v14 as Gotham 13.2 has no issues on my Ubuntu client when accessing my Mac (Yosemite) via SMB.
My Openelec Kodi - RPi client has the same SMB access issues as per symptoms below..

I have done a bit of further testing for those with the following symptoms after upgrading to Kodi:
Sharing using a networked Mac (Yosemite) via SMB and then adding Videos via Kodi > Video > Files > Add Videos > Browse....

- Windows network (SMB) - will not find any SMB shares, even ones on the same machine.
- Zeroconf browser > Mac Name (SAMBA) - does absolutely nothing. Cannot even enter Share location.
- Zeroconf browser > Mac Name (NFS) - yes this still works!

Workaround Solution: Smile
==============
OSX > System Preferences > Sharing > note down (at top) .. Computers on your local network can access your computer at: xxxxx.local

This can also be EDITed to something easier to remember

Then:
Kodi > Videos > Files > Add Videos > Add Network Location > SMB > Server name > xxxxx.local
- leave Shared folders blank
- enter Username & Password if required (on OSX this is generally not required)
OK

There will then be a new - smb://xxxxx.local - added to the "Browse for a new Share" list.
Select that and add the shared folders as required.

Devs: adding an ip.address in the Server Name as was possible in Gotham, fails as well. The only solution was the .local Mac address

Debug Log to follow shortly....

Hi,

I've just tried your method and I get a connection timed out message.......any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave
Yes, thoughts are your hard drives from your sharing source(s) are taking a while to spool up.

In Kodi > System > Settings > System > Power saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

W.

using smb://xxxxxx.local gets
connection refused
if I use smb://guest@xxxxx.local I get
connection refused.
guest account is enabled for sharing.

File sharing for afp and smb are enabled, and three folders are shared.

running Yosemite

thoughts?
Kodi v17.6 on Asustor NAS
Kodi v17.6 on Fire Stick v2
(2015-01-18, 20:05)wrxtasy Wrote: In Kodi > System > Settings > System > Power saving > Try to wake remote servers on access > Enable

Wow. I had the same problem with my video files on a Debian samba server. I could browse them, but they wouldn't scan. Setting this fixed it for me. Thanks.
(2015-01-18, 21:32)IndieRockSteve Wrote: using smb://xxxxxx.local gets
connection refused
if I use smb://guest@xxxxx.local I get
connection refused.
guest account is enabled for sharing.

File sharing for afp and smb are enabled, and three folders are shared.

running Yosemite

thoughts?

Did you try with your user name and password?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
@IndieRockSteve

leave username and password blank when following my instructions in post #1
EDIT: In fact follow the EDIT in post #1 first and forget the detailed stuff that follows.

This is the only way I could get the Guest shared folders to show up in Kodi:

OSX > System Preferences > Sharing > Select folder that you are Guest sharing > Users > Everyone > Read Only or R/W

Done

Kodi > Video > Files > Add Videos > Browse> Zeroconf > Server name (SAMBA) > add shared folders

I have there Zeroconf Browse (i guess that this is what you meant) > I have there 3 folders :
1. iTunes Music Sharing
2. AFP
3. SAMBA

When i press my "Ofir Mac Mini (SAMBA) > nothing happens

I also tried the XXX.local > I'm getting "Connection refused"

I really hope you can help find a solution for this problem
Good to know.
(2015-01-23, 22:33)james341 Wrote: I also tried the XXX.local > I'm getting "Connection refused"
Try putting in the IP address of the server instead of xxx.local, mine did not work but that is not to say yours will not.

Hi chaps,

I have a Yosemite server that worked fine until I upgraded to Kodi. I now have the same issue as above. I've tried all the suggestions but still no joy. Anyone else still struggling or found a solution?

Regards,
Steve
Does it work for anyone? Recently the NFS share stopped working either. Dont know why^^
Hopefully apple will fix nfs,smb etc.
(2015-01-29, 19:15)T0m93 Wrote: Does it work for anyone? Recently the NFS share stopped working either. Dont know why^^
Hopefully apple will fix nfs,smb etc.

I've tried wrxtasy's suggestions, but the only way I have been able to get this to work is by using SMBUp. It works, but I have to start it every time I start the mac. I haven't found a way to autostart the server after a restart.
BTW I have a 2011 iMac running OSX Yosemite.
NFS still works fine, I configure the NFS shares with a program called NFS manager. Its pretty easy to use.

NOOBS Guide to NFS here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1814794

Only way I can get SMB access to shares tho is via the method in Post #1
This is accessing the shares with 3 Kodi clients, 2 ATV1's and a RPi B+

Thanks wrxtasy. I've looked at NFS some, but found it a bit daunting.
I'll give NFS Manager a whirl.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server0