Bug workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server
I tried NFS Manager and was able to add the folders I wanted, but when trying to access them in zeroconf, nothing happens when I click on them. I've read the posts about permissions and I don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions?
Maybe try a reboot of the server machine.
Is OSX Firewall enabled ?, even tho I don't think that would make a difference.

A reboot didn't make any difference and the firewall is disabled.
Lets see if everything is configured properly, in OSX Terminal copy and paste the following code:

Code:
rpcinfo -p | grep nfs

You're looking for this type of output to say port 2049 is open:
Quote:100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs

You can also try Adding a Networked Location in Add Videos > Browse and enter the IP address of the server for server name, leave username and password blank then OK.

(2015-01-31, 05:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Lets see if everything is configured properly, in OSX Terminal copy and paste the following code:

Code:
rpcinfo -p | grep nfs

You're looking for this type of output to say port 2049 is open:
Quote:100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs

You can also try Adding a Networked Location in Add Videos > Browse and enter the IP address of the server for server name, leave username and password blank then OK.

The port 2049 data is the same.
Tried adding the network location, but get the same result. Still can't open the folders.
Did you add The -N Line in the nfs plist? Here you can see how its done. http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X

To Find it in finder just type in Terminal sudo nano /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist . It will show you the plist in the finder.

Then add the hole line : <string>-N</string> (where it belongs -> http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#Troubleshooting_NFS_on_OS_X)
press ctrl + o, press enter , press ctrl + x and you added the -N line. And Thats it
(2015-01-31, 19:46)T0m93 Wrote: Did you add The -N Line in the nfs plist? Here you can see how its done. http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X

To Find it in finder just type in Terminal sudo nano /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist . It will show you the plist in the finder.

Then add the hole line : <string>-N</string> (where it belongs -> http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#Troubleshooting_NFS_on_OS_X)
press ctrl + o, press enter , press ctrl + x and you added the -N line. And Thats it

This was done using NFS Manager, as wrxtasy suggested. There's not supposed to be any editing necessary.
(2015-01-31, 20:06)mobius60 Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 19:46)T0m93 Wrote: Did you add The -N Line in the nfs plist? Here you can see how its done. http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X

This was done using NFS Manager, as wrxtasy suggested. There's not supposed to be any editing necessary.

ok. That was my issue. i tried it with NFS Manager, too. The settings were all correct etc. it didnt worked, so i edited the plist. And after i edited the plist it worked just fine with NFS Manager... Just wanted to let you know that i had exactly the same problem as you and editing the plist fixed by myself fixed it...

Another question am i wrong or does nfs works in sleep mode since yosemite 10.10.1? Suddendly it worked for me xD no more caffeine xD
(2015-02-01, 00:44)T0m93 Wrote: Another question am i wrong or does nfs works in sleep mode since yosemite 10.10.1? Suddendly it worked for me xD no more caffeine xD
I really really hope this is the case, its the only reason I've been even hanging on to SMB. It was not working when I updated to Yosemite a while back. Maybe an update finally fixed this long standing issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plist and the -N flag....
Strange, I've never touched the plist and I've just checked the output from this:

Code:
ps aux | grep nfsd

No -N line is present and everything works fine on my Yosemite iMac with NFS serving files to a RPi and 2 Crystalbuntu ATV1's.

@T0m93, csan you post the output from this command pls ?
Code:
cat /etc/exports

Toms:~ tom$ cat /etc/exports
/Volumes/Intenso/Filme -alldirs -maproot=0:0
/Volumes/Intenso/Serien -alldirs -maproot=0:0
Toms:~ tom$

Its just like in NFS Manager.
(2015-02-01, 10:30)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 00:44)T0m93 Wrote: Another question am i wrong or does nfs works in sleep mode since yosemite 10.10.1? Suddendly it worked for me xD no more caffeine xD
I really really hope this is the case, its the only reason I've been even hanging on to SMB. It was not working when I updated to Yosemite a while back. Maybe an update finally fixed this long standing issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plist and the -N flag....
Strange, I've never touched the plist and I've just checked the output from this:

Code:
ps aux | grep nfsd

No -N line is present and everything works fine on my Yosemite iMac with NFS serving files to a RPi and 2 Crystalbuntu ATV1's.

@T0m93, csan you post the output from this command pls ?
Code:
cat /etc/exports

After setting the -N flag in the plist, NFS seems to be working even without NFS Manager running. I quite NFS Manager and restarted the iMac, and NFS still works.
I guess that's all it took. Go figure.
Thanks T0m93. Same as mine.

Yes I should have mentioned NFS manager is just for configuration and setting up shared folders.
Just like OSX System Preferences and setting up SMB Sharing.

OSX has NFS built into the core of its operating system, you only need to configure everything.

-N is needed for osx as soon as clients should be able to connect which are not running kodi as user root (we need any nfs servers to allow connections from non-privileged ports). Thats why it is mentioned in the nfs wiki in my signature - its still a valid requirement.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ok for the first time I have actually run into the NFS -n flag issue and had to edit the .plist Grrrrrr!!!

This in on Openelec 5.0.2 on the RPi2 so something has changed with Openelec as my old RPi B+ on 5.0.1 had no such issues.

to reload and relaunch OSX NFS once .plist editting has finished:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist

Now to Zeroconf and Bonjour discovery services problems again, this time encountered on Openelec 5.0.2.

The fix for this was recycling:
OSX > System Preferences > File Sharing > Options > Untick - Share Files and Folders using SMB > Done

repeat the process...

OSX > System Preferences > File Sharing > Options > Tick - Share Files and Folders using SMB > Done

now reload and relaunch Bonjour Discovery services on OSX so both NFS and SAMBA show up if you select Zeroconf Browser when adding media shares in Kodi: (this step may not even be needed)

Yosemite:
Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

Mavericks:
Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

I'm now back to normal with everything sharing correctly with both NFS and SAMBA using Zeroconf Browser to add shares in Kodi.

Smile

OK... tried every possible combination of all these suggestions and still not able to connect to my Mac server using AFP or SMB. It used to work perfectly under v13, but seems broken in 14.

Have any devs chimed in yet and said they are working on a fix?

crash

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server0