Linux Kodi not seeing external USB drive
I recently replaced an old computer running Ubuntu 12.04 & XBMC 13 and I did not have this problem.

New setup:

Device: NUC DN2820fykh
Kodi 14.0

Booting into Ubuntu session the USB drive is mounted at /media/kodi/media and permissions are set to user kodi.

Booting into Kodi session the USB drive is not accessible. Once in this mode I can SSH into NUC box and see the drive. Permissions for /media/kodi/media is root rather than user kodi.

I found several posts with suggestions but none seem to work. Does anyone have a solution?
I've recently done the same, but different hardware.

Ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi installed and I automatically log in to the Kodi session as user name "kodi" at start up.

My experience was that plugging in a USB drive did nothing. The drive is visible with fdisk but does not get mounted in Kodi. Although, everything works fine in Ubuntu desktop.

Kodi standalone session seems to rely upon udisks for automatically mounting and removing USB drives. Ubuntu 14.04 does not have udisks installed, but Kodibuntu has both udisks and udisks2 installed.

I installed udisks and Kodi standalone now shows a prompt to browse the drive when plugging in a USB hard drive, and provides an option to unmount safely.

I found this thread helpful: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854

The first posts shows the necessity for a "custom-actions.pkla" file, but I didn't find this necessary for my Ubuntu 14.04 desktop install with Kodi installed along side.

Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not seeing external USB drive0