windows 8.1 with kodi 23.976 playing at 24
Hi I've recently brought a pipo x7 mini PC its basically a tablet with no screen. It uses a z3736f Intel CPU with Intel HD graphics. I've set everything up as it was with my last setup (openelec ion2) but when I playback content which is 23.976 I get 24 and lots of dropped frames.

With my ion 2 system I had to create a custum mode line to get 23.976 playback is this needed here or should I be looking else where.

I have Adjust display refresh rate to match video on and Sync playback to display on set to drop/dupe as I have an avreciever using pass though
Try disabling windows aero.
I'm not sure how to do that in windows 8.1 do you simple set advanced settings to adjust for best performance?
I disabled aero and get the same problem. Just to confirm on the codec screen under windowing information I get fps:23.98 but under sync to screen I get refresh :24 and occasionally I get a missed frame.
Known and here the message again: Currently no active kodi developer is using this Windows 8.1 crap voluntarily and investigating this issue. We only have some inactive devs which don't have issues - so it is unlikely to be fixed. Your best bet is to use Windows 7.

Chances are arround 50% that kodi v15 will have an DX11 based implementation for decoding, which will improve things.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-01-19, 09:35)fritsch Wrote: Known and here the message again: Currently no active kodi developer is using this Windows 8.1 crap voluntarily and investigating this issue. We only have some inactive devs which don't have issues - so it is unlikely to be fixed. Your best bet is to use Windows 7.

Chances are arround 50% that kodi v15 will have an DX11 based implementation for decoding, which will improve things.

Ahh OK message received, I'm trying out a pipo x7 which at the moment is windows 8.1 only. I'm hoping to get openelec onto it. I just wanted to check it wasn't me doing something wrong as all other tests of this device says its working brilliantly so I assumed proper 23.976 playback they must not have check this
I am not familiar with this SoC. Does it actually support 23.976? Do you have 23 Hz as an available refresh rate in Windows? There is a problem with Windows 8.1 which does not respect the requested refresh rate. But the symptom is that it selects 23.976 instead of 24 Hz and if I understood you correctly you have observed the exact opposite.
(2015-01-19, 13:33)a11599 Wrote: I am not familiar with this SoC. Does it actually support 23.976? Do you have 23 Hz as an available refresh rate in Windows? There is a problem with Windows 8.1 which does not respect the requested refresh rate. But the symptom is that it selects 23.976 instead of 24 Hz and if I understood you correctly you have observed the exact opposite.

Your right it is the reverse, I do have the option in windows for 23hz but as you say within KODI it uses 24hz. I can get a screen grab of windows supported refresh rates if it helps?
I have a slightly different but similar problem running a n2820 nuc and windows 8.1. Playing back videos at 23.976 work well but playing back 24.000 videos results in stutter every minute or so. I am going to install windows 7 tonight as I read that it works okay in that OS.
(2015-01-19, 09:35)fritsch Wrote: Known and here the message again: Currently no active kodi developer is using this Windows 8.1 crap voluntarily and investigating this issue. We only have some inactive devs which don't have issues - so it is unlikely to be fixed. Your best bet is to use Windows 7.

Many people will be using Windows 10 soon. It fixes everything that people complained about 8. Hope devs aren't stuck on 7 forever due to stubbornness.
I've not noticed any issues with 8.1 (Intel HD4600 graphics) but it mat be due to a lack of 24Hz material. What's a good example file for the latter to try?
Windows 7 is outdated and obsolete. Windows 10 is coming
(2015-01-20, 10:06)MadScientist Wrote: I've not noticed any issues with 8.1 (Intel HD4600 graphics) but it mat be due to a lack of 24Hz material. What's a good example file for the latter to try?

Most Blurays are 23.976 or commonly called 24p. If you look at http://www.h264info.com/clips.html alot of the trailers are 23.976
Thanks, but it's genuine 24Hz material I want to test.
I guess the message here is that you get what you pay for

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows 8.1 with kodi 23.976 playing at 240