Skin Viewer for Windows (in Visual Basic)
hey guys!

i'm currently working on a skin viewer to simplify skinning process. uploading an underdevelopement skin and testing it out on the xbox is really a pain, so i thought it would be useful.
for the moment only a few controls are supported (image (with colorkey and colordiffuse), button, buttonm, ...) but i'm stuck with id's. for instance, the button 'my programs' seems to switch to my programs section only because it has id=2, but i'm not sure about this. is there a listing available that says what those id meens exactly ?

thanks a lot

moving thread the development forum as you need help with the development of the application, (so you don't just get requests for it)
ps! i believe frodo said/suggested before that it would be simplest to port 'the real' xbmc skin engine from xbox to windows (in c++)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
window switching is done via the hyperlink tag. for example the my programs button should have a line like this: <hyperlink>1</hyperlink> in it. window ids are set in the respective window's xml file (at the top). certain button ids have special meanings in the code (reboot, exit to dash, power down, credits, etc.) these can be found by checking the .cpp file for the appropriate window (e.g. guiwindowhome.cpp for the home window).

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

hmm... just a thought: wouldn't it be possible to port xbmc skin engine/interpreter to windows?
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
(hullebulle @ mar. 15 2004,20:47 Wrote:hmm... just a thought: wouldn't it be possible to port xbmc skin engine/interpreter to windows?
offcource Smile but to do so you have to know some cpp programming. and from the looks of the screenshot this guy is using vb.

but a strait port from xbmc would definitely be a better choise as it would reflect the exact same thing.

but give the guy a chance. it could be a great self learning thing.

i guess sooner o later a cpp developer will make a 4 hour port of the skining engine Image
//nickman
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
a really great idea to make a skin viewer. maybe this can be extended to a skin designer later, with property pages for controls and all that stuff. Smile

also a integrated strings.xml editor would be neat, so eg. localization would be much easier.

just some ideas. Image

greets

bobbin007

well i thought about taking xbmc code to do this but i hate c++  Angry and there's thousands of stuff inside the code that would need to be cleaned up, and it is something really difficult to do if you you're not the one how coded it. besides i'm 50% done, it's already too late...

Quote:but a strait port from xbmc would definitely be a better choise as it would reflect the exact same thing.
agreed! but it's not reallly a problem, most of the skin is based on bitmaps and their positions are fully described in the skin. the only thing you have to guess is relative positions, like how much pixels is the checkmark picture from the text that describes it.

the only thing i have problems with is fonts. i can't use xprs but since they are based on regular ttf fonts, i'm mapping ttf with xprs in a xml settings file and ... voila!

Quote:also a integrated strings.xml editor would be neat, so eg. localization would be much easier.

already done !  Image

Quote:maybe this can be extended to a skin designer later
of course this viewer is only a preview module of a larger skin editor ... :lol: i'll post more screenshots later

art
(art @ mar. 16 2004,07:26 Wrote:well i thought about taking xbmc code to do this but i hate c++  Angry and there's thousands of stuff inside the code that would need to be cleaned up, and it is something really difficult to do if you you're not the one how coded it. besides i'm 50% done, it's already too late...

Quote:but a strait port from xbmc would definitely be a better choise as it would reflect the exact same thing.
agreed! but it's not reallly a problem, most of the skin is based on bitmaps and their positions are fully described in the skin. the only thing you have to guess is relative positions, like how much pixels is the checkmark picture from the text that describes it.

the only thing i have problems with is fonts. i can't use xprs but since they are based on regular ttf fonts, i'm mapping ttf with xprs in a xml settings file and ... voila!

Quote:also a integrated strings.xml editor would be neat, so eg. localization would be much easier.

already done !  Image

Quote:maybe this can be extended to a skin designer later
of course this viewer is only a preview module of a larger skin editor ... :lol: i'll post more screenshots later

art
sounds like you'r ontop of it all.. can't wait to see the end result. best of luck!

//nickman
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
hey,

here's a couple of shots showing xpr font mapping support and a render of the hifi skin in myvideos. speaking about fonts, does anyone know what the original ttf fonts are for common-fontxx.xpr and matrix8.xpr ??

art
the matrix font used in the screensaver can be found here;

matrix symbol font by lexandr (mcode 1.5 - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/2040700/)

(art @ mar. 17 2004,11:49 Wrote:does anyone know what the original ttf fonts are for common-fontxx.xpr
tahoma (not sure if it's "tahoma.ttf" or "tahoma bold.ttf", anyway get of windows pc from "c:\winnt\fonts" or "c:\windows\fonts")
(gamester17 @ mar. 17 2004,13:16 Wrote:
(art @ mar. 17 2004,11:49 Wrote:does anyone know what the original ttf fonts are for common-fontxx.xpr
tahoma (not sure if it's "tahoma.ttf" or "tahoma bold.ttf", anyway get of windows pc from "c:\winnt\fonts" or "c:\windows\fonts")
thanks for the quick answer but it doesn't seem to be tahoma, look how the 'm' is bendend to the right and the typewriter-like 'g' or 'a' doesn't look the same in tahoma ...
tahoma is the credits font, i think the normal skin font is trebuchet (comes with windows).

(butcher @ mar. 17 2004,13:55 Wrote:tahoma is the credits font, i think the normal skin font is trebuchet (comes with windows).
that's right, now it does look the way it should!!
thanks a lot

btw, i'm around 70% of work done until i get a complete skin viewer, and i will have to do some basic interaction, so that you can navigate through the different xbmc screens.
this will make the preview module of a larger skin editor and the grounds of the editor itself (i'll only have to draw some basic schematics above the controls in order to do that), but i was also thinking it could be used as a "remote xbmc desktop" as long as the web server offers enough control commands, what do you guys think ?

art
did you upload your source anywhere?
if not- are you planing of doing so anytime soon?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin Viewer for Windows (in Visual Basic)0