How about a "4:3 Expanded" view mode? ie. "16:9 Pan and Scan", or "14:9 Stretched"
Lightbulb 
It is basically a half zoom and half stretch option for watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 television.

I don't like the normal mode because you have the black bars on the side. The zoom option cuts out way too much of your picture and the 16x9 stretch makes things way too squished. A good compromise is to meet in the middle on both of those. I set the custom Zoom x1.16 and Pixels 1.12:1. The aspect ratio then ends up being 1.54:1. The picture fills the entire screen and you don't lose nearly as much picture to cropping. The image is still squished but it isn't as noticeable as the 16:9 stretch.

I know you can set the default option for all movies and have this the permanent setting for custom view but I still think it would be nice to just have the option out of the box on XBMC.
This is effectively what Stretch 14:9 does, except for the fact that it doesn't do the zoom to get rid of the black bars.

We can probably just implement that straight into the stretch 14:9 mode IMO.

Sound OK?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That sounds good to me. I don't know how many others are attached to the way 14:9 mode works right now but I know I never use it as it is because, like you said, you still have some black bars with it.
few dasy ago , i report some mpeg4 avi AR error
thx jmarshallnz tell me a way use pixel ratio to watch the correct AR movie.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph...tid=581838

but today my wife use xbmc watch AR error movie , i found use pixel ratio to adjust AR is too complex to a normal user.

so i think , the i find a easy way.
can add a new view mode to fix some movie AR error?

the movie Lolita (1997), Lolita.1997.XviD.AC3.CD1-WAF.avi
the move is 704,384 AR is 1.83 , Custom use pixel ratio adjust, is't petfect 1.83:1

Normal is AR 2.22:1

Zoom is AR 2.22:1

Stretch 4:3 is AR 1.27:1
Stretch 14:9 is AR 1.56:1
Stretch 16:9 is AR 1.78:1

Movie The.Transporter.2002.XviD.AC3.CD1-WAF.avi
the move is 800,336 AR is 2.38, Custom use pixel ratio adjust, petfect 2.38, all see right

Normal AR is 1.78:0 , not right.
as the screen shot , you can see waht error.

1. can add a view mode let view mode AR EQ movie org AR,it's a force.
2. Screen show can show movie org AR just like
SizeSad800x336 2:38:1) , it's can help some user just like my wife to easy get right ar .
The movie is encoded with the pixel aspect ratio flag set. Remove the flag (there are mpeg4 tools for this) and it'll work just fine.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:The movie is encoded with the pixel aspect ratio flag set. Remove the flag (there are mpeg4 tools for this) and it'll work just fine.

yes , jmarshall , you are right !

i think add a view mode let view mode AR EQ movie org AR is more friend for most xbmc . i use xbmc adjust pixel aspect ratio to watch movie , than use mpeg4 tools fix movie . i try to use mpeg4 tools fix The.Transporter.2002.XviD.AC3.CD1-WAF.avi , no effect , it's slow and make a new movie to save , the new movie files i found more bad than old one. as your notice adjust xbmc pixel aspect ratio is more easy and fast than use mpeg4 tools fix movie , hehe
There are tools available that edit just the aspect ratio flag (no reencoding is needed). And it's not really much of an issue to correct it once for the odd movie that is encoded wrong.

you means

the org:

must change to this?

the The.Transporter.2002.XviD.AC3.CD1-WAF.avi
Correct. From the frame sizes I presume that both are supposed to be 1:1 (square pixels).

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Correct. From the frame sizes I presume that both are supposed to be 1:1 (square pixels).

Cheers,
Jonathan

thx Jonathan and jmarshall , i try to read source to implement it by my self , fifteen year ago i am pascal programer , too long time no coding for me.

GUIWindowFullScreen.cpp

org :

Code:
strSizing.Format("Sizing: (%i,%i)->(%i,%i) (Zoom x%2.2f) AR:%2.2f:1 (Pixels: %2.2f:1)",
                       SrcRect.right - SrcRect.left, SrcRect.bottom - SrcRect.top,
                       DestRect.right - DestRect.left, DestRect.bottom - DestRect.top, g_stSettings.m_fZoomAmount, fAR*g_stSettings.m_fPixelRatio, g_stSettings.m_fPixelRatio);
      CGUIMessage msg(GUI_MSG_LABEL_SET, GetID(), LABEL_ROW2);

i try to this code , but after i compile cvs , it's wrong , can you tell me why?

Code:
strSizing.Format("Sizing: (%i,%i %2.2f:1)->(%i,%i) (Zoom x%2.2f) AR:%2.2f:1 (Pixels: %2.2f:1)",
                       SrcRect.right - SrcRect.left, SrcRect.bottom - SrcRect.top,((SrcRect.right - SrcRect.left)/(SrcRect.bottom - SrcRect.top)),
                       DestRect.right - DestRect.left, DestRect.bottom - DestRect.top, g_stSettings.m_fZoomAmount, fAR*g_stSettings.m_fPixelRatio, g_stSettings.m_fPixelRatio);
Try:
Code:
strSizing.Format("Sizing: (%i,%i %2.2f:1)->(%i,%i) (Zoom x%2.2f) AR:%2.2f:1 (Pixels: %2.2f:1)",
                       SrcRect.right - SrcRect.left, SrcRect.bottom - SrcRect.top,(float)(SrcRect.right - SrcRect.left)/(SrcRect.bottom - SrcRect.top),

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How about a "4:3 Expanded" view mode? ie. "16:9 Pan and Scan", or "14:9 Stretched"0