Encrypt or hide URL in Python Script
Hi,
Is there an easy way to hide or encrypt a url...
Basically I have URL's in my add-on that I don't want users to see when they look at my script.
Is this possilbe

For example using something like:

import md5 (or another type of encryption)

getURL=***MD5 CODE***
Why?
(2015-02-24, 19:56)enen92 Wrote: Why?

Because I am creating an add-on that downloads an .xml file but I dont want anyone to see the domain URL that it's coming from.

Http://hidethisdomain.com/filename.xml
Anyone who cared could trivially capture the network activity with Wireshark. You're not going to be able to hide this.
But I need to take this from the script as they could only sniff the URL once they "login" to the add-on.
If not, the URL isnt loaded. Every month I change the URL.

Hense why I want to change it so someone that doesnt have login details couldnt search the script for the URL.

Basically it logs the user in and then once succesfull it loads another .py file with the URLs to load data from XML.

Resume:
getURL=http://mydomain.com/, 'file.xml'

To:

import "encryption ie. md5"

getURL=17373626181726373, 'file.xml'

Something like that...
A quick google search yields that your project is a dixie-deans tv-guide clone, which was a rework of twinther tv-guide plugin?

By the info on your site, you are looking to charge a fee and run a pay for use plugin?

I understand the need to obfuscate urls and sensitive info.

But I do not understand taking someone elses hard work, changing its urls and calling it your own... what's up with that?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2015-02-25, 02:19)aarronlee Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 19:56)enen92 Wrote: Why?

Because I am creating an add-on that downloads an .xml file but I dont want anyone to see the domain URL that it's coming from.

Http://hidethisdomain.com/filename.xml

There's basically 3 reasons for you to be trying to do this. I'm not here to judge but I'll list them anyway to improve the post. Note kodi is an opensource program and ofuscating the kodi/hide code is simply not correct. If every person did that, you woudn't probably know a single thing about kodi plugins.

a) You have a list with questionable content that you don't want another one like you to steal and incorporate on their plugin.
b) You have a list with questionable content that you wan't to hide from any sort of authority, hiding the source of the xml list.
c) You have some sort of api that provides legit content and you want to control access to it.

Either the case it will be extremely hard to do this in a proper way.You could:

Removed the tips after reading lunatixz post. You don't deserve an answer basicaly, figure it out yourself.
(2015-02-25, 03:09)Pline Wrote: Anyone who cared could trivially capture the network activity with Wireshark. You're not going to be able to hide this.

^ this.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Truth is you can't basically run a scam and hide your ass completely. The only way you could, in theory ,do this (hide the xml contents not the url) can lead to your identification by any sort of authority. Involving money into it is just a catalyst for things to go wrong for you.
So think twice and get a proper job.
Okay let's get some things straight..

Don't judge without knowing.. If you're not willing to help that's one thing but don't try and make something that its not.

I have permission from various MODs inc. the creator of the plugin to modify it.

The information you find online is from last year and out-dated.

On the description of the plugin, everyone that contributed is mentioned but until installed you wouldn't see that.

Shall I continue;-
1. What I want to hide is the IP adress of MY server which I pay quite a lot of money for and don't want it visible in github so if someone was to do a basic search, it wouldn't appear in Google or any other search engine sites, nor will the have the right to use something I have to pay for.
2. I don't charge for the add-on, I charge for it's content that I pay my subscriptions for, my VAT (iva in spain), and channels that I make playlists for and broadcast (not original channels). Yes it's illegal that I am broadcasting downloaded videos, football matches but that doesn't concern any of you. The web-site was a cover up but really it was to broadcast IPTV, the add-on was to be able to recieve donations via Paypal.
3. It isn't for the add-on TV Guide as I stopped this (even tho I had permission and made generous donations), it's for another add-on I am building for Video on Demand which I repeat... It's coming from MY SERVER and my IP that I don't want made public, and my VOD list is held on MY SERVER and the video files are also stored on MY SERVER. And yes, I am going to charge a subscription of 2,00e each month.
4. I do have a proper job, this is my hoobie and the 2,00e I take (or I will take) which is no ones business is to pay for the server every month.
5. Why I am doing this..? Because in Spain a new law was put into place on the 1st January and the majority of public web-sites have closed due to fear of being caught, hense why I want to make this private!! I don't use advirtisments nor SPAMWARE as other sites (that don't charge) so I have to make money from charging subscription to be able to keep it running. No one complains at web-sites from hammering you with advertisments, nor the free download sites that make you wait 5 secs before downloading (they all make money from that). I do exactly the same but without adverts.
People don't pay for the code, add-on and they never have (nor with TV Guide),,, they pay for my server usage. If that was the case, I would have charged before downloading.
6. My MOD of TV Guide was changed from the original.. I only used the orignal as a template.. Then DixieDean helped modify the "download logo script".

To conclude,
before judging someone, get up-to-date information please. This is not a SCAM, people know what they are paying for and why they are paying.

So I take it no one is going to help....?

I don't bother about hiding the content from URL Helper, Wireshark etc as the vod files have a token that is only valid for the IP, MAC and has an expiry of 3 hours... I just want to hide the URL (domain) from the simple eye in the code.
I don't want to hide any other code, only my domain from github or anyone that freely downloads the code. If anyone abuses this then I could easily change the URL.
(2015-02-25, 17:31)aarronlee Wrote: To conclude,
before judging someone, get up-to-date information.
So I take it no one is going to help..?
Okay thanks.

I'm sorry if you felt my post was judgmental, I simply stated what I read on your website, and my opinion on the matter...
(2015-02-25, 17:44)Lunatixz Wrote:
Okay thanks.

I'm sorry if you felt my post was judgmental, I simply stated what I read on your website, and my opinion on the matter...

No need to apologies...
As I stated before, tvguideaarronlee.com was only a cover up for paypal and it is seriously out-dated.
One good thing I have learnt is that I have covered up my tracks because searching on google hasnt revealed the new project haha.
I also wanted to say that I have NEVER called it my own, and I didn't just change URLs and the Add-on ID... I added a lot of features

Can you please help with the domain encrypt..?
(2015-02-25, 17:53)aarronlee Wrote:
(2015-02-25, 17:44)Lunatixz Wrote:
Okay thanks.

No need to apologies...
As I stated before, tvguideaarronlee.com was only a cover up for paypal and it is seriously out-dated.
One good thing I have learnt is that I have covered up my tracks because searching on google hasnt revealed the new project haha.
I also wanted to say that I have NEVER called it my own, and I didn't just change URLs and the Add-on ID... I added a lot of features

I wish I could help... but honestly the community answered your question in your last topic from a few months ago.

There is no way, You can obfuscate and encrypt code, but honestly... its not hard to decode or un-obfuscate.

Only suggestion I have is cpython - Hide behind compiled c code, which will put your plugin on the shit list of most legit kodi sites. Not even sure it would work...
(2015-02-25, 18:30)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2015-02-25, 17:53)aarronlee Wrote:
(2015-02-25, 17:44)Lunatixz Wrote: I'm sorry if you felt my post was judgmental, I simply stated what I read on your website, and my opinion on the matter...

No need to apologies...

I wish I could help... but honestly the community answered your question in your last topic from a few months ago.

There is no way, You can obfuscate and encrypt code, but honestly... its not hard to decode or un-obfuscate.

Only suggestion I have is cpython - Hide behind compiled c code, which will put your plugin on the shit list of most legit kodi sites. Not even sure it would work...

Thanks for your quick response...
Maybe I could protect the .xml file on ym server and add a login feature... I think you have something similar am I wrong?
I still maintain my opinion, the thing is not if it concerns me (or not) but if I do agree with what you're doing in the first place. I don't. Still any of the answers in this thread are correct. It will be always possible to reach you. It might be easier or harder but given the proper authority, it won't work.

Also consider something. You're hosting the files yourself so...streaming from your server. Even if you could do a bazilion things to hide that .xml file (that really concerns you) you should think more about the playing files. Those will be always exposed to the logs. The majority (if not all) of the users of these kind of services are just plain noobs (yeah it makes no sense to pay money for re-streaming content when certainly there are legit alternatives). This means a lot of logs will be available in public places. Writing a simple script to search for logs from users that have script.yourplugin installed is just plain simple. Probabilities that some of them will have played files are quite high. Your ip will always be exposed somehow.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Encrypt or hide URL in Python Script1