Hardware recommendations
First, I would like to say hello and introduce myself. I'm going to cut the cable and run all media thru the internet and a large outdoor antenna for live TV. I own a house and have already researched antenna and signal information from tvtool. However, I've been running XBMC from my Moto X to Chromecast, and a Dell laptop. Well, my wireless experiment with Chromecast crashes and fails a lot. I know of a few "streaming" sites that use open source data which are Chromecast friendly. However, my wifi signal is pretty weak due to multiple devices and a baby video monitor that interrupts the signal. The Chromecast works great for Netflix and Youtube, but that's about it after owning it for five months. My older dual core Dell laptop runs XBMC very well but lacks a HDMI port. I tried VGA and an audio jack but the quality suffers and having a laptop next to my 60" HDTV in the theater room looks bad.

In our household, we probably watch one or two shows each night, and possibly two movies weekly. We don't have a lot of time with a toddler in the house. Our 16 month old daughter typically watches an hour of PBS programs and Elmo videos daily. On the weekends I enjoy watching the British Premier League and Formula 1 races. I've already found sources on XBMC for recorded matches which work perfectly.

Now that you've learned a bit of my requirements, I'm looking for suggestions on a new media box. I want something that is VERY user friendly that my wife could use, and is basically ready to go out of the box. We only have two televisions in our house and I'll describe their locations. We have a 39" Samsung TV located in our family room while a 60" Panasonic plasma is in our basement/theater room. My plan is to have the Chromecast placed in the family room for streaming Sesame Street, Peg+Cat, and kid friendly shows via-youtube. Our outdoor antenna will also pick up live HD signal for PBS. I'm going to relocate my router next to my 60" plasma in the basement for a direct ethernet connection to a media box of my choice. After the Chromecast headaches and a weak wifi signal, I want reliable streaming capabilities via-ethernet.

I've watched review videos on almost every "TV box" available to date. Most have great features and decent processors. However, I know this forum is partial towards the RPi2, and especially the Chromebox. The price is great on the RPi2, but I'd have to invest a lot of time and research in order to build one. The Chromebox has a lot of power and the cost is in my budget range, but it seems quite intimidating while reading the procedure to reformat the box. For some of you programmers, it probably doesn't seem like a big deal. I watched a step-by-step youtube video of someone who booted OpenElec for the first time on a Chromebox, and it's possible that I could move in that direction.

Of course there are the typical Android and Windows boxes that are basically ready to go out of the box. I'm sure you're familiar with these names below. I literally have each of these units in my amazon wish list right now and am ready to take the next step.

Minix Neo X8-H Plus - Android
Tronsmart Draco AW80 - Android
Matricom G-Box MX2 - Android
UGOOS UT3 - Android
MK808B - Android
Bluetimes Qplus - Android
Quantum Byte Mini PC - Windows 8.1
Amazon Fire TV - Android
ProBox 2 - Android

All we really care about is simple performance, ease of use, and reliable playback on movies, sports, and shows. Gaming isn't really considered a requirement as I have several consoles. Live TV doesn't interest us either. We find that our time is limited and avoiding commercials is a priority.

If anyone else has suggestions, youtube links, or better recommendations, please reach out. If you really want to push me in the direction of the Chromebox or RPi-2, please provide your telephone number or Skype information for technical support Rofl. Thanks again for reading my post and I look forward to your responses.
Those Chromebox steps might seem hard but they are not. Seriously Matt and the developers made it easy. The other day I took a Chromebox from scratch (aka new) to being an Openelec appliance connected to my network in less than 15 minutes. And you might be tempted to say that is because I am the Hardware Guru or whatever, but no the reason is the tools and guides are so great. No programing or even any Linux knowledge needed.

The solution to your situation is a Chromebox. Take a breath and dive in.

If it makes it easier, FORGET dual booting. That cuts out most of the hardest stuff. Chrome OS is pretty much useless, just blow it away and go the standalone install option. Then the hardest part is removing a single screw (anyone can do that).

Here is a read on just the stand alone steps so you can get an idea:

https://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/1...chrome-os/

Or heck if it scares you so much just pay more for something like one of the HP machines that comes with Windows 8.

Thank you for the response. I have a few questions before proceeding with my purchase of a new Chromebox.

1. With the OpenElec OS and Kodi, is an air remote compatible?
2. OpenElec immediately boots to XBMC correct? There is no custom interface such as Android devices?
3. Is it worth buying the Deluxe model? With my budget I can buy a used Deluxe from Amazon for $170.00. A new 2GB ram unit is currently $160.00. I figured the OS modification will void any type of warranty anyways. I know it may sound like overkill, but I want the most of out my hardware.
4. As you recommended the possibility of a Windows desktop or box, what are your feelings about the Quantum Byte Mini PC? Does it not support specific codecs like Android units?
5. I've read your link for the stand alone installation and reviewed the split OS instructions. It's still very confusing as a tech novice, but I'd really like to keep a dual boot with ChromeOS and OpenElec. Do you have a link with easy instructions such as the provided pricklytech wordpress post?
6. Does OpenElec with the Chromebox support 4K? I don't have a 4K TV but my Panasonic Plasma is 7 years old and could possibly crap out at anytime which will beg for a replacement.

That's all I can think of for now. As you can see, I'm pretty motivated and want the most out of my investment.
1) yes
2) yes
3) no. The base model is $130 shipped new on Ebay
4) not familiar
5) the quick start section of the EZ Setup Script thread is as straightforward as it gets
6) the Celeron 2955U model does 4K at 24p/30p via HDMI, 4K at 60p via DisplayPort, but can only handle UI functions at 60p, not video playback
Wait so Celeron cpu in the Chromebox and the like can do 4k well? Cause Asus and HP support told me i either need to go i3 chromebox or nvidia gpu(which asus offers too, but for their windows model). Hmmmm
(2015-03-04, 07:25)CoolKeith Wrote: Wait so Celeron cpu in the Chromebox and the like can do 4k well? Cause Asus and HP support told me i either need to go i3 chromebox or nvidia gpu(which asus offers too, but for their windows model). Hmmmm

playback wise, it can do 4K at 24/30p, h264, up to 80Mbps or so. It can do 4K 60p for the Kodi GUI (via DisplayPort, since it doesn't have HDMI 2.0), but doesn't have the GPU horsepower for video playback at 60p. H265/HEVC is software only, so 1080p and low-bitrate only.

this info is contained in the Kodi ChromeBox wiki page Smile
Recommendation, get the Chromebox, the base model everyone else gets.

Matt Devo aka Mr. Chromebox has done a tremendous job making it easy as to get Openelec up and running quickly on this wee beastie.

Plus you get amazing support here on the forum, and that in itself cannot be bought anywhere Wink

Tip2, the RPi2 is not at all hard to setup, especially if you get one in a Kit with a good power supply to start off with.
Its pretty easy to write an Openelec / Kodi diskimage on to a microSDHC card using the simple Wiki instructions.
Plug that into the RPi and away you go. Kodi control is even available via your TV's remote control if you have a compatible HDMI CEC compatible TV.

Dive in and stop talking yourself out simple techy instructions, its all a learning process after all. Smile

For all i have tested, down 150 USD:

Live TV or Tuner is important = Wetek Play
Live TV or Tuner is NOT important = Pipo X7
I have a few questions about the installation of ChromeOS + OpenELEC (dual boot). I'm stuck at a certain place that will probably be answered by Matt Devo, but maybe some of you guys can answer. I'm going to reference this link:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
and....
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Device_Preparation

Strangely enough, the most confusing installation requirement in the dual boot setup is the "Perform a factory reset using Google's recovery tools". This is probably considered the easiest step for you guys, but remember, I'm seriously a novice at modifying computer hardware/sofware. Looking at the step listed in this link: https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en .... I believe the instructions is to download and save the Chromebook Recovery Utility on a USB stick or SD card.

After this step, the power should be off at this point. I put a paper clip back in the recovery button and turn the power on. Then after that, I insert my USB stick or SD card into the Chromebox which includes the Chrome Recovery Utility when prompted and the box will simply install this OS in my partition.

Is it recommended to keep the partition size at 50/50? Keep in mind that I'll only use the ChromeOS side for checking emails, maybe writing a google doc, surfing the web, etc. What is the exact number I should put in the requested partition size for an even 50/50 (or suggested size) when requested?

I've been reading the installation details all day and will definitely require a beer this evening. But, I'm almost ready to buy my ASUS unit and let the fun begin. Something tells me I should just do a standalone setup and avoid all of the crap above. Anyways, thanks for your help and I look forward to some final direction.

Thanks
My question for your questions- Why are you considering keeping Chrome OS? Unless you have a reason just blow it away and go stand alone for an appliance feel. Chrome OS is basically a web browser.

(2015-03-05, 00:34)Jetfire79 Wrote: I have a few questions about the installation of ChromeOS + OpenELEC (dual boot). I'm stuck at a certain place that will probably be answered by Matt Devo, but maybe some of you guys can answer. I'm going to reference this link:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
and....
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Device_Preparation

Strangely enough, the most confusing installation requirement in the dual boot setup is the "Perform a factory reset using Google's recovery tools". This is probably considered the easiest step for you guys, but remember, I'm seriously a novice at modifying computer hardware/sofware. Looking at the step listed in this link: https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...0595?hl=en .... I believe the instructions is to download and save the Chromebook Recovery Utility on a USB stick or SD card.

no, you run the Recovery utility, and based on your input, it will download the correct recovery image for your device and write it to the USB stick.

Quote:After this step, the power should be off at this point. I put a paper clip back in the recovery button and turn the power on. Then after that, I insert my USB stick or SD card into the Chromebox which includes the Chrome Recovery Utility created USB media when prompted and the box will simply wipe/repartition the hard drive and reload ChromeOS from the recovery media.

corrections in bold

Quote:Is it recommended to keep the partition size at 50/50? Keep in mind that I'll only use the ChromeOS side for checking emails, maybe writing a google doc, surfing the web, etc. What is the exact number I should put in the requested partition size for an even 50/50 (or suggested size) when requested?

50-50 would be 8GB each, and that's a fine starting point.

Quote:I've been reading the installation details all day and will definitely require a beer this evening. But, I'm almost ready to buy my ASUS unit and let the fun begin. Something tells me I should just do a standalone setup and avoid all of the crap above. Anyways, thanks for your help and I look forward to some final direction.

Thanks

yes, you probably should just do a standalone setup Smile
Standalone it is. We have iPads, tablets, phones, laptops, and even the Playstation browser if needed. I'm going to buy the unit tomorrow from eBay for $130 + free shipping. I plan on connecting internet thru ethernet. However because I have to know everything, how does OpenElec or Kodi identify a wireless network. For instance, most OS allows you to securely connect to a wifi network. Since there is no interface and OpenElec boots right up to Kodi, is there something within the system management that allows you to gain access?

Oh, and while I was digging on eBay, I found a seller that charges $30.00 to convert Chromebox's to several operating systems. I thought some of you guys might want to dig into that market since you can complete the task on a regular basis.

Thanks
There is an OpenElec Kodi addon to configure such things as WIFI, Bluetooth etc that comes built into every OpenElec distribution.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...tion_Addon

(2015-03-05, 03:15)Jetfire79 Wrote: Oh, and while I was digging on eBay, I found a seller that charges $30.00 to convert Chromebox's to several operating systems. I thought some of you guys might want to dig into that market since you can complete the task on a regular basis.

kinda goes against the spirit of this entire thing, no? If I had wanted to, I could have very well not released any of this (custom firmware, scripts, etc) and just sold pre-configured ChromeBoxes. But I'm a lousy capitalist I guess, since I'm not much for exploiting the labor of others for personal gain.
(2015-03-05, 03:26)wrxtasy Wrote: There is an OpenElec Kodi addon to configure such things as WIFI, Bluetooth etc that comes built into every OpenElec distribution.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...tion_Addon

Is there a Flirc addon for OpenElec?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recommendations0