Installation of kodi without (hdmi) screen
Hello,
I have a PI2 raspberry with rasbian distro. I would like to install a media center to select music stored on an external hard drive connected to the raspberry from my tablet because I have no Hdmi screen.

So I installed Kodi / xbmc in accordance with the procedure (http://michael.gorven.za.net/) via an ssh connection because I have no hdmi screen. I can access the raspberry from my laptop running under Windows 8. I put music (mp3 file) on a key USB: I can see that the key is mounted automatically with the user kodi.
I enabled the automatic startup of Kodi (ENABLE = 1)
I enabled the remote connection with the following parameters:

<Advancedsettings>
<Loglevel> 2 </ loglevel>
<Services>
<Esallinterfaces> true </ esallinterfaces>
<Webserver> true </ webserver>
<Zeroconf> true </ zeroconf>
</ Services>
</ Advancedsettings>

Then I installed the "kodi remote" application on my tablet. Apparently, I could access then raspberry. On my PC, in a browser, when I enter the ip address of the rapsberry: 8080, I get a page with the kodi logo, the remote control and buttons with profiles, music, movies ....
But Icannot add a music source from my pc (brower) or from my tablet. On the tablet, I pressed the refresh button or “update the library” without success. Similarly, in the browser, if I click on music, nothing happens.

Here are some tests I made:
- I created a “sources.xml” file with the path to the music directory: it does not work
- I tried to “force” the scan (scanonstartup): it does not work
- I enabled debug loglevel = 2 and there 's no error message

Is there a tool that allow the display of the kodi interface on my pc: I installed tichvncserver the raspberry and VNC viewer but I do not see the kodi GUI.

How can I add music without HDMI display and thus without access to the GUI?

Do you have any idea to progress or any idea in order to have a media center on the Pi without hdmi screen.

Thank you very much for your help !
I think you'll find plugging in a display just for setup the simplest solution.

But, if you want the harder route, then the dispmanx vnc server should work with kodi.
It will be pretty slow and clunky though.
Or as you're on Raspbian, you could install xrdp and use your PC to remote desktop connect into the Pi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-04-08, 22:01)DarrenHill Wrote: Or as you're on Raspbian, you could install xrdp and use your PC to remote desktop connect into the Pi.

Won't help with kodi which uses a separate EGL overlay, that is not visible to X.
The dispmanx vnc server does grab all the overlays.
Well you learn something new every day Smile Thanks Popcornmix for the correction.

I've got my Kodi on a separate card (OpenElec) to my Raspbian install, so was just commenting based on how I normally remote-connect to the Raspbian card when I need to (or when both my kids want to use Scratch or Minecraft at the same time).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installation of kodi without (hdmi) screen0