Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi?
Well, lots of routers already have an USB port, so... :-)

In any case, it's at least good to know the reasons for "why not", so that attention can be re-focused somewhere else.
(2015-05-04, 18:52)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-04, 18:19)Vlayke Wrote: So why not put KODI on it?

No. The question is "why put Kodi on Windows 10 IOT for raspberry pi".

fyi all, m$ has stated their 'Media Center software is dead'; it is not included and will not run in win10.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

That is one real reason to have Kodi on your Pi, and something to consider when offered any 'free' 10 upgrade.
Quote:fyi all, m$ has stated their 'Media Center software is dead'; it is not included and will not run in win10.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

That is one real reason to have Kodi on your Pi, and something to consider when offered any 'free' 10 upgrade.

I'm kind of spitting in my own bowl here, but to be honest I don't see this as quite relevant in regards with this topic.

Kodi will still be available for Windows 10. So you will be able to use it as a replacement of Windows Media Center on a "normal" PC.
Kodi will also be available on Raspberry Pi in form of many iterations (on Raspbian, OpenElec and so on).

What at this moment seems is that there isn't much interest in combination of the two from the developers. I can respect the reasons for why my wish isn't relevant to a lot of people here. I'm only sorry that I don't have the skills to approach this challenge myself.
(2015-05-08, 11:10)Vlayke Wrote: What at this moment seems is that there isn't much interest in combination of the two from the developers. I can respect the reasons for why my wish isn't relevant to a lot of people here. I'm only sorry that I don't have the skills to approach this challenge myself.

Don't be sorry; it's a discussion forum after all. And I think you raised a very interesting topic. rbi2 + Win IoT maybe at least can run the headless version of Kodi. Kodi Headless would be a killer IoT app, remotely controlling your central content libraries.

Running full Kodi with GUI remains speculative. Any news on Win IoT exposing video API's like Directx/OpenGL/GLES/EGL? Besides, Raspberry needs hardware video decoding support for Windows while currently OpenMax-API isn't even supported on Windows. Software-only (FFMPEG) solution seems possible.
Just want to reach out and correct some misconceptions. Despite despite this being my first post, I must remind everyone that Windows 10 IoT is supposed to be able to run universal apps regardless of platform (I'm reading straight from Microsoft here, haven't actually tried it, but I believe them). However, the Win32 API is NOT supported. Despite that, Windows 8.1/Win10 apps shouldn't have much of an issue. That being said, Kodi is NOT a universal app NOR a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Universal app and it would take quite a bit of work to make it work, especially considering the reliance on graphics drivers. Short of a horde of Windows app developers joining it probably will not happen. If it does however, you'll have your Kodi port. Please don't beg existing developers for this...most are doing all they can to support it on current platforms. If it happens, it will happen. Also please note that this won't improve the state of Win32 and/or chrome specific services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.

In short, using Windows 10 embedded will be just the same as running a linux based distro such as Raspbian or Retropie for Kodi.

Sincerely, a seasoned developer that has no time to contribute to kodi thanks to a loving, yet patient wife, 3 toddlers, and a passionate, yet awesome startup.
Quote:However, the Win32 API is NOT supported. Despite that, Windows 8.1/Win10 apps shouldn't have much of an issue.

This made me laugh :-) Nothing left then ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@betam4x
So, Mr. Seasoned Developer, please enlighten us:

Do we have accelerated graphics Directx/OpenGL/GLES/EGL?

Do we have hardware video decoding support (DXVA/OpenMax/whatever) ?

Please don't feed the people with false hopes.
Kodi on Win10 IoT not going to happen, because it's simply impossible, there are no necessary bits in the lame M$ experiment called Win10IoT.

Quote:I'm reading straight from Microsoft here, haven't actually tried it, but I believe them
You should really review you trusts and beliefs software wise.
(2015-08-17, 22:37)asavah Wrote: Please don't feed the people with false hopes.
Kodi on Win10 IoT not going to happen, because it's simply impossible, there are no necessary bits in the lame M$ experiment called Win10IoT.

Isn't that exactly what he just said?
Some Windows application can be ported into Linux environment using Mono + WinForms, see http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/winforms/. I do have a need to have OPDS books server running in parallel with Kodi on Raspberry 2 Pi. One of the solution is to use TinyOPDS from https://tinyopds.codeplex.com/

Any thoughts?
Are there any new developments on this topic?
(2015-12-27, 22:06)AP2016 Wrote: Some Windows application can be ported into Linux environment using Mono + WinForms, see http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/winforms/. I do have a need to have OPDS books server running in parallel with Kodi on Raspberry 2 Pi. One of the solution is to use TinyOPDS from https://tinyopds.codeplex.com/

Any thoughts?

In order to watch IPTV using the IPTVSimple add-on I need Windows service that generates a list of channels and program guide from my IPTV provider Web-services information. It was quite easy for me to program that service in VB, but I don't know if I can do it for Linux.

I think there are another cases
(2016-04-03, 08:07)vnser Wrote:
(2015-12-27, 22:06)AP2016 Wrote: Some Windows application can be ported into Linux environment using Mono + WinForms, see http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/winforms/. I do have a need to have OPDS books server running in parallel with Kodi on Raspberry 2 Pi. One of the solution is to use TinyOPDS from https://tinyopds.codeplex.com/

Any thoughts?

In order to watch IPTV using the IPTVSimple add-on I need Windows service that generates a list of channels and program guide from my IPTV provider Web-services information. It was quite easy for me to program that service in VB, but I don't know if I can do it for Linux.

I think there are another cases

If VB can do it - python can do it in any case - if(!) no windows DRM stuff is somehow needed. And if python can do it - an Addon for kodi can be written that directly does it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
If you're writing your own applications using .net core, they'll run on any Linux OS on the Raspberry.
Even though there haven't been published video acceleration drivers. I think some form of Kodi could still exist on the Windows IoT Core platform.

Right now on my other platform I've got a sample app running on IoT Core for a Radio player. I have it set up to play Nectarine Demoscene Radio right now (you can enter the URL directly). I'm having a little trouble setting up other streams for things I love like SoundCloud and di.fm that I have going on my Windows 10 Kodi setups.

I'm fully aware that I can run Kodi on Linux/Pi3, and have before (a nice setup running RetroPie and Kodi).

I've also deleted that Linux setup and gone over to IoT Core.

(tldr rant) The final straw wasn't actually having to use a second microSD to save another microSD with fsck after an accidental shutdown, nor was it the generally unhelpful attitudes of people I've talked to in the Linux community, nor was it the ugly window managers believe it or not, it was actually having a microSD literally burn up and die when trying to share RetroPie to some friends one Sunday a couple of weeks ago. So I just got tired and said "meh", I'll try Windows IoT since I've got Windows 10 on just about everything at home including my MacBook Pro now. I actually gave it a chance on Linux, I just got tired from wrestling with it on everything. I spent most of my time in Linux anyway googling up how to do very simple things in the shell, the "free" comes with a cost of time, and I'm busy with many other things (not to mention out of all the languages I know I find it easiest to develop in C# so it makes sense for me to be on a Windows platform). /tldr-rant

I thought it might be cool to put the Pi in some kind of waterproof casing and have an IoT Shower Radio.

Just giving some ideas, don't totally count Kodi on Windows IoT Core as a useless venture just because it may not have full video capabilities, there are plenty of other uses for it, especially with Cortana in the Insider Preview. The music functions are still great in Kodi particularly in the Add-On arena. If those could get ported over to IoT Core, that would be massive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 IoT on Raspberry Pi 2 and Kodi?2