Kodi running slowly
I have 2 machines running Kodi, an old Acer Revo which works just fine, and a recently acquired old Dell Optiplex box to use as a living room box.

The problem is, the Dell is slow as treacle, in the menus, I rarely get over 15FPS, and if I try and scroll down at any speed, it drops right down to 2-4FPS. I initially thought this was something to do with the amount of content in the menus, as I do have a fairly large library, however, I noticed that even on the home screen, the news ticker is supper jerky.

The Dell runs a 1.86GHZ Core 2 Duo and has an R7 240 card in it, with 4GB of ram.

Attached is a log from startup and a bit of browsing around in the TV and Movies menus.

http://xbmclogs.com/pdn0zfomt

Any help?
It's an old dog PC, teaching it new tricks.... humm. For starters disable the RRS feeds, but in general pull up the OSD (keybaord o command) while watching a video and look for the bottle necks.

Your log file: The page you are looking for does not exist.
Weird... I use an old 2.40Ghz Core 2 Quad 6600 on an old Asus board with 3GB RAM and Win 8.1. My graphics is supplied via nVidia Geforce 610. KODI runs lovely.

What is VLC like on that Dell?

What else do you have running? Do you have all the Dell crudware on there still, or have you stripped it back to a bare machine with a fresh install? Have you been to Dell Support to grab all the drivers? Ditto with AMD and their R7 240 drivers?
Yeah, I appreciate it's an old PC, but if my significantly older Revo can run it way better, I'd expect this to do so as well.

In every other aspect, this PC is much faster, it plays game much better, so Kodi is a surprise.

When I get back from work tonight I'll do the RSS and OSD things, and post a new log file link that works.

VLC runs just fine, and playback isn't an issue in Kodi, it's the UI that is a problem.

It's a fresh install, so no Dell crapware, Steam is running as well, is that going to drain much away from Kodi when it's just in the background?

I must confess I haven't grabbed drivers from dell, I might give that a try tonight too.

I've got up to date R7 drivers installed.
Oh, and thanks for the help guys!
OK, disabled the RSS. Doesn't have a noticable impact on UI framerate.

I don't see any obvious performance bottleneck, CPU and GPU both hang around under 20% even when I'm scrolling the TV shows, which drops to 2-4FPS. Memory consumption seems fairly flat around 3GB, and I have 4, so no issues there.

Batter Pudding, I had a look at the dell site, but all the drivers are only for XP or Vista, and I'm on 7, so I'm a bit wary.

New log:

This is just me browsing around movies and TV a little bit, and playing an episode of Planet Earth.

http://xbmclogs.com/pigv5ri7g
Vista drivers will work fine when there is nothing newer to hand. I'm guessing you're currently just using what Windows Updates threw your way? Any yellow marks left in device Manager? How many versions of the BIOS has been released compared with the one you are running?

(Funnily enough, I just looked on my PC and realise I rebuilt an Optiplex 745 for a client and looks like the only thing I bothered to download was the BIOS)

It may be worth nipping over to Realtek for the more updated driver for the onboard sound (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/) Or have you disabled in the BIOS to instead use the AMD audio via HDMI?

I assume you have at least got the correct Graphics Card drivers from AMD.com? They would certainly make a difference
Yeah, I updated to the newest BIOS already. I've got no yellow question mark issues, and you're right about Windows Update.

I'm also doing audio over HDMI, so I'm going to bother with that update I don't think.

Yeah, I've got correct drivers for the card from AMD.com, they updated themselves recently, and my performance in everything else is just fine.

My current thinking is that it is most likely to do with where the images and information for the library is stored, but I don't know much about this. I'm leaning towards this because the problem is caused by library scrolling, and is worst in TV shows where the data is densest.

Thoughts?
Trivial\stupid thoughts:
* In the BIOS have you disabled the onboard AUDIO and VIDEO?
* In Windows Control Panel \ Sounds is this now just listing the single sound card?
* Got any USB devices hanging out of broken USB ports? Broken USB cables? Broken SATA cables?
* Hit eject on the DVD drive - make sure there isn't a scratched\broken disk in there. (Yeah... sounds daft... but I have seen it happen)

* I would reinstall the AMD drivers and follow the custom options in the installation package. Then install *just* the drivers and avoid all the auto-updating and other helper apps. I'd even skip all the 3D stuff unless actively using it on this screen.

* Is the "blip blip" noise on when you scroll the library? Have you been messing around with a few too many settings in the Audio and Video options? Have you accidentally enabled a feature your hardware doesn't support?

Deeper testing of KODI
The "images and information in the library" is stored in %APPDATA%/Kodi which usually means your C drive. Is the hard disk cleanly defragged? Plenty of free space on it?

I saw a simple idea for testing library and settings issues. Try this.

* Close KODI.
* Go to %APPDATA% and locate the KODI folder. This is where ALL of your settings, addons, database, library, textures, everything is stored.
* RENAME KODI to KODI-HIDDEN
* Now start KODI. It will start up as if it was a new installation. As it starts, it will reinitialise all of its settings. And have a nice empty library.

Give this a kick around. When empty of data, is it feeling snappy?

Add a single source with only a couple of TV shows.

Now is it still feeling snappy? Or has the lag kicked in?

Now try adding everything in again. What is it like now?

This experiment lets you know if there is anything fundamental about the hardware that is wrong. It also lets you check it isn't a dodgy add-on or a bad setting.

Once you have finished experimenting, you can put your original settings and data back by CLOSING KODI again. Then return to %APPDATA%. Now rename that newly created KODI folder to KODI-TEST. And rename your original folder from KODI-OLDHIDDEN back to KODI.

Now restart KODI... and if the stuttering all comes back... then you know it is something about your KODI config.

Does that test make some sense? This method of testing lets you swap back and forth between "clean" KODI settings and your "dirty" settings without having to loose any of your library.

The way you describe your stutter sounds more like video GUI issue that reading in images issue to me.
Ok, I guess you might call this progress.

Disabled onboard audio etc, as per the stupid/trivial section. No joy, but at least it eliminates those possibilities.

Testing of Kodi has revealed it is to do with adding content.

'Out of the box' so to speak, running confluence and browsing an empty Kodi, I get 16-20 FPS, which whilst still lower than my Revo, is presumably to do with the resolution I'm running (1080p) as opposed to 720p on the Revo's TV. Correct?

As soon as I add a single TV show (30 Rock, 134 episodes), it slows right down to 8-10FPS browsing episodes within the show.

Could there be a reason for this other than the relative slowness of the PC? I don't understand why it would be the case, given how much faster this PC is than my Revo.

Thanks for all your help.
Actually, just tried running at a lower resolution on the Optiplex's TV to see if that made any difference. It didn't.
Sounding like some kind of issue bringing up the artwork itself? Is that art online and therefore a possible networking issue? Or is there a hard disk issue here?

Networking - what is HD Streaming on YouTube like? Damaged cables? Check driver - maybe try out Dell's Vista driver?

Have you tried without Steam running? Or at least go into Steam and make sure it has either fully updated or fully paused. Stop it from hammering your network when KODI is trying to pull in the new images.

I have Steam installed on my KODI PC, but I don't let it run all the time. It is not visible by the task tray and not set to Start with the Computer. I do notice that it can kick off some enormous updates at times.

Hard Disk - check event viewer for any NTFS\ATPI\DISK errors in case the hard disk is failing and spluttering.

What else is running on the desktop? I had an old PC the other week where an iTunes install was causing strange problems because bonjour was broken. So I stripped out everything Apple\Bonjour\iTunes related. Made a noticeable difference.

Have you thought about killing Aero on the Windows desktop?
i am having the exact same problem as you.

my pc is old dell optiplex 755, C2D E6600, 2gb ram, AMD R7 R240. Previously using on board graphic got no problem at all, so i assume the problem is with the graphic card.

now still trying to find the best driver for this GC that can run kodi smoothly.

will update u if i found the suitable one, but will be glad if others can give solution too. if still cant, then i might switch back to on board graphic.

thanks!
2GB RAM? Seriously? Get some more memory in there as 2GB is bare minimum for Win7. Bump it up to 4GB. That is the heart of your stuttering issues.

With the Graphics card, there is only one place to head for the drivers - the manufacturer.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Select your AMD R7 240 driver there. I would give you a link but you haven't said which OS you are running on.

When installing the driver, do use the Custom option and pick a minimal install. Just sticking with video and audio drivers and the control panel.
You are not going to want to go back to On Board video on that old Dell as your AMD card will be a certain improvement over the basic Intel graphics. Especially as the onboard graphics will steal more of your precious system memory whereas the AMD card has its own memory to use. Looking at the specs online, even the cheapest version of that AMD R7 240 has 1GB of RAM onboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi running slowly0