Delete files and folders on SMB/SAMBA shares
i just love the xbmc and i have been using the xbmp and xbmc for a long time now. there is one feature that i would love to see in the xbmc that would just be the finishing touch in my opinion. at least for me it would. how about a way of deleting a file from samba share.

ok here is why i'm asking for it.

i record tv shows on my pc using snapstream. (like a lot of users) and i stream them to the xbox using the xbmc. i would love to see a dialog box pop up after viewing a show  that asks if i would like to delete this show or keep it for future viewing. that in my opinion would be the greatest thing since the invention of the slicer that slices the sliced bread.
unless there was a way to permanently disable this feature inside a .xml file; this would be the worst feature ever added to xbmc.

how easy would it be to accidentally delete a movie by mistake? plus the added incovienience of a dialog box popping up all the time.
i think you can do this allready.
in my files just select the file in the samba share and select delete. make sure your samba share allows others to edit the files tho.

morien
(morien @ mar. 24 2004,10:08 Wrote:i think you can do this allready.
in my files just select the file in the samba share and select delete. make sure your samba share allows others to edit the files tho.

morien

can someone verify this? when i click on a samba share, the delete option disappears.

i think if the dialog box was an option that could be turned on and off only in the xml file would be a great idea. how about another box that ask are you sure you would like to delete this file.

can't you accidentally delete a file in my files?
Quote:can't you accidentally delete a file in my files?

this is true, and something that i wish was possible to lock-out somehow. i am concerned about drunken mistakes, or parties when other people are playing with the xbox. i would like a mode that is safe from changes.

i've recompiled with the ::deletefile() commented out, so mine is now safe :d
i agree with rocky, to be able to delete any files so easily could cause many problems. it is enough for me to delete movies, or any file for that matter, directly from the pc.

if the feature were implemented, it should be disabled by default, and only after enabling should it be visible.
being able to delete files across the smb mount would be great!

i think you would have to be retarded to accidentally delete a file. you have to high light it or select it then go over to the delete option and then say yes to delete it! it's not like it's a one button deal. plus you can already delete the same way on the local drive, so what is the difference?
if you are afraid of accidentally deleting a file across a smb share then use an account that has read only permissions for xbmc.
in my files using the remote i press "1" to select the file, then "0" to delete it and the confirm delete dialog pops up. i hit ok and the file list refreshes, but the file is still there.

on the windows xp smb share i have allowed users to change files.

i would like to be able to delete movies after i've watched them.

am i missing something?
i'm having the same exact problem. can someone tell us if this is at all possible, and if so what are we doing wrong.

i also would like to delete a shows when i'm done watching them.

thanks
bill
you're not doing anything wrong, the answer is you can't as no such function for smb been implemented. moving to feature suggestions
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
* bump *

would really like this feature and as budwizer said...
Quote:if you are afraid of accidentally deleting a file across a smb share then use an account that has read only permissions for xbmc.
(ktd @ june 09 2004,03:22 Wrote:* bump *

would really like this feature and as budwizer said...
Quote:if you are afraid of accidentally deleting a file across a smb share then use an account that has read only permissions for xbmc.
i want this feature too.  thanks.
cant sombody with knowledge plese point out how so we that want this can change it for ourself in cvs and then compile xbmc? please, pretty please!!!
this feature is already available if you put in administrator user & pass in the smb:// field (at least for windows i dunno about linux samba shares), but if you use only the computer's ip address you will not be able to write to the samba share.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delete files and folders on SMB/SAMBA shares0