Amazon bans Apple TV and Chromecast
It's a shame that Amazon makes some of the best devices that Kodi works on because things like this make me really want to hate them and not buy anything from them.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/a...ime-video/
HAHAA, their loss and if google/apple wanted, I bet some 'restraint of trade' action would change their tune. It would be fun to see some titans with very deep pockets fight it out.
(2015-10-02, 18:23)MrMC Wrote: HAHAA, their loss and if google/apple wanted, I bet some 'restraint of trade' action would change their tune. It would be fun to see some titans with very deep pockets fight it out.
Can you really force a shop to stock your product?
(2015-10-02, 18:23)MrMC Wrote: Can you really force a shop to stock your product?

Exactly! Everyone has so many buying options these days that no-one has a monopoly on anything ... the way free enterprise should work.
I think the title of the article I posted is misleading because if the goal is to promote Amazon Prime Video, Amazon would sell all the devices, and make Prime Video apps for those devices (which they don't and as a Prime subscriber and Nexus Player owner I am very angry about).
Instead, I think the goal is to promote their Fire TV devices given the fact that 1) Fire TV devices have Netflix on them, and 2) They don't make Amazon Prime apps for any devices other than the Fire TVs.
Free Enterprise is not 'free' Smile One of the things you learn when you get older... Nothing is free.

Amazon Stores != Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime is a content delivery service. Amazon Stores is a place to sell stuff. What they have done is tie the two together and unless they completely remove ALL products that are 'similar', classic 'restraint of trade' . That means all set-top-boxes/sticks that do not offer Amazon Prime or have some hacked version in place.

I doubt Apple will do anything, they just don't care about these things and have their own sales channels that work very well.

Google, maybe. Depends on how pissed off they get Smile
(2015-10-02, 18:46)MrMC Wrote: Free Enterprise is not 'free' Smile One of the things you learn when you get older... Nothing is free.

Amazon Stores != Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime is a content delivery service. Amazon Stores is a place to sell stuff. What they have done is tie the two together and unless they completely remove ALL products that are 'similar', classic 'restraint of trade' . That means all set-top-boxes/sticks that do not offer Amazon Prime or have some hacked version in place.

I doubt Apple will do anything, they just don't care about these things and have their own sales channels that work very well.

Google, maybe. Depends on how pissed off they get Smile
Can you point to an example of a shop being forced to stock a competitor's product?
Should Amazon be moaning 'cos you can't buy a Kindle in the Apple shop?
It doesn't sound anything like Restraint of Trade. That would be more Amazon telling their sellers they can't sell Chromecasts on ebay if they want to carry on using Amazon marketplace.
Amazon is well within their rights to do so, but the negative publicity and reaction may not be worth it. I'm sure they have precise data on how many people look at Chromecast vs Fire on their site and what they end up buying.
Amazon's move is absurd... what about all the other media players they sell that also don't support Amazon Prime? Are those all going to be banned as well?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
The issue isn't that Amazon is choosing not to sell something. That is well within their rights. The problem is that they have banned 3rd party/market sellers from listing those products as well. It might still be legal, but it violates a trust people had in Amazon. Amazon is both shopkeeper and market place in this example, and their success is largely built on that trust.

First it's TV boxes, but what about tablets and phones?

The excuse that it's about Prime video support is laughable, especially in the Chromecast examples. Amazon is the one who refuses to make Prime available or not on those devices. They already work with Chromecast and AirPlay, and they have iOS and Android ports for the actual player.
I don't get the trust problem. Amazon is somewhere to go to buy stuff. They don't sell everything. The 'trust' for me is that if there's a problem they'll sort it out - not that I can buy a particular product.
I don't get why anyone would care.
Apps in (or not in) the store for dubious reasons - I can understand the annoyance there.

Edit: that's not saying I think it sounds like a good idea. If I wanted a chromecast I'd find one elsewhere, possibly find other stuff at the same time, possibly use that supplier in the future and Amazon would lose business. But not because I 'lost trust.'
If Amazon truly dominated the online marketplace then competition law would definitely prevent this. But there are plenty of places to buy online.

But yeah, I would have thought the bad publicity would have driven this idea out the backdoor of the Amazon ideas dept.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Pretend it's a movie. Amazon also has movies. Amazon also owns the movie theater. Amazon decides not to show a very popular movie only because it "competes" with one of their movies. While you can go to another "theater", this kind of behavior from a mega company is cause for concern. Google and Apple can afford to sell direct, but for a lot of people it's hard to beat the store model that Amazon or eBay put out. It also means that people who are casually looking to buy things will only see what Amazon wants you to see (part of the trust issue).

Again, if it was just their store the I could understand. But this is a whole "market place", and one that Amazon said we could trust them to be fair about.
Imagine if Google decided to block amazon.com from their search results, which of course is completely legal and within their rights, how would Amazon feel about that? And btw this is not without precedent, Google did this to Microsoft (Windows Phone), refused to support it and refused to build apps for the platform or let anyone else do so.

This is simply desperation on Amazon's part, no one is actually buying Fire tablets/phones and Amazon continurs to lose money on the platform and will continue to do so.
(2015-10-02, 17:22)jonandtice Wrote: It's a shame that Amazon makes some of the best devices that Kodi works on....
Lets not get carried away here either, especially when you use the word Best.
The Fire TV does NOT do:

1) 23.976/49.94Hz video output
2) Dynamic Refresh rate switching
3) HD Audio Passthrough or HD decoding to lossless PCM Audio output
4) Lousy Live TV deinterlacing

and

5) Lack of interest by the Kodi devs, since Amazon pulled Kodi from their store. I doubt the Kodi / Android dev Koying will revisit the platform either with SPMC due to Amazon's stance on legal Open source media player Apps that threaten their revenue stream.

Its a competitively priced, nicely integrated device for paid streaming Apps, that happens run Kodi OK. That is all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon bans Apple TV and Chromecast0