Options for front panel display
Hi,

I have a Cooltek G3 case that comes with a front panel display, unfortunately its not configurable and only displays one message. So i'm thinking of replacing it with an after market option, but am having a hard time finding anything.

I looked into the iMon but there doesnt seem to be a way of actually buying one anymore. Another option i found was the Futaba MDM166A but they wont ship outside of Germany so the only one i can find that looks viable is an nMEDIAPC Pro LCD from Amazon.

Does anyone know of any others that may suit my needs?I would like to display general media info i.e. name of song/movie/tv show playing maybe a graphic equalizer...you know, the usual cool stuff. It needs to be compatible with Kodi and Ubuntu 14.04.

If anyone has any ideas and could help me out i'd really appreciate it

Cheers all
Medialab vfd?

http://pcplanetsystems.com/pcp/magento/t...black.html

Silverstone vfd?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TLS...B002TLST92

http://www.lcdmodkit.com/lcd.html
Search ebay for "hd44780 USB" and you'll find some really cheap pre-made interface boards for the really cheap hd44780 displays. If you want to go even cheaper, like under $10, you can DIY using instructions on google. Just look up "hd44780 USB" there.

If you have a Raspberry Pi you can even hook up the cheap hd44780 directly up to the GPIO. You just want a resistor to set the contrast, IIRC.
What kind of (transparent) surface area do you have to work with? If you only want to replace the LCD, I guess there is little point in going with a display that is larger than the transparent opening. There is no scan/overscan adjustment on your case facia - although there's always a Dremel Wink
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Hi Gouldy, I've been in the same situation as you, I've been looking for that exact Futuba display for the past few days, and like you said there only seems to be one supplier (bummer that he wont ship outside of Germany).

After looking for alternative displays, I realised some are far too expensive (matrix orbital), not compatible with/no info on Openelec, discontinued, or just plain ugly looking.

What I ended up doing was use a German mail forwarding service to purchase the Futuba display - You may want to look into that if you really want this display
Quick update to those who may be interested in purchasing a Futuba mdm166a from eisgold.de

I signed up for a free Germany mailbox at mailboxde.com since eisgold does not ship outside of Germany. Mailboxde instantly emailed me my new Germany mail address, so I went ahead and purchased the display using the address provided - One thing I was a bit skeptical of about eisgold was the only method of payment was bank transfer, but as I really wanted this display I went ahead and transferred the money. 2 days later I receive an email saying the item had been dispatched, then the following day mailboxde email me saying my parcel had arrived at their warehouse. Total cost for shipping + their fee's was only 6 Euros - but I opted for UPS at a price of 15 Euros (still cheap for faster delivery). As soon as I paid the shipping fee's the parcel was then marked as ready for shipment. Today I've received an email from UPS saying they have my parcel and it's on it's way to me. So far it's been a smooth experience - and a lot easier than I imagined.

I will update again once I receive the display.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Options for front panel display0