Cheap 24p hardware
Ok been researching all night with no luck
I have a few kodi devices, nuc, Firestick and a Pi
Nuc is great and will auto switch between resolutions
Pi did also but was so slow and unreliable
Firestick is really fast but will not do manual let alone auto switching ( can't find out if it's a hardware or software issue. I.know the fire tv will do it manually though)

So what about the mx pro type quad core android boxes on eBay etc? Will they do it?

Most of my stuff is 24p so don't mind having the hardware set permanently to this even if the interface is jerky
If the RPi is too slow for you, the HardKernel ODROID C1+ running OpenELEC will fit the bill nicely for 24p playback. Its nice and snappy with my distros indeed. I use one for my daily 24p box. Works well Smile

All you need is the board and a case and a usb otg cable. It runs happily from a phone charger if you don't attach 2.5 inch HDD, but then really you should be using a externally powered hub anyway. I would also only use an Ethernet connection as some WiFi usb dongles are not supported. Ask over in this thread for further questions about the C1+ and WiFi:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987

I would definitely stay away from MXQ/S S8XX clone boxes from anywhere. They will mostly have dodgy Firmware and run Android KitKat and will be slower than a RPi when running Kodi. 24p support will be a lottery.

The other option is the dirt cheap S905's flooding the market. But again Firmware and support is very questionable, and I have yet to see anyone test these for silky smooth 24p video output. How much do you like to gamble ?

See below:
V
V

Which version of the Raspberry PI have you used?
(2015-12-08, 00:16)pacemaker1000 Wrote: Ok been researching all night with no luck
I have a few kodi devices, nuc, Firestick and a Pi
Nuc is great and will auto switch between resolutions
Pi did also but was so slow and unreliable
Firestick is really fast but will not do manual let alone auto switching ( can't find out if it's a hardware or software issue. I.know the fire tv will do it manually though)

So what about the mx pro type quad core android boxes on eBay etc? Will they do it?

Most of my stuff is 24p so don't mind having the hardware set permanently to this even if the interface is jerky

Do you have a Pi or a Pi 2? The Pi 2 is a LOT faster than the Pi in UI terms, and pretty much everything feels faster. The A/V performance is largely the same in both models (as the PI is already good in video replay terms - with 3D MVC and frame packed output, full refresh rate switching, 23.976/29.97/59.94 support etc.), though the Pi 2 can do an MMAL Advanced deinterlace for 1080i content with a mild overclock (the Pi is limited to a reasonable MMAL Bob).

The Pi 2 also has enough CPU power for lossless HD Audio decoding. Both the Pi and Pi2 will output PCM5.1/7.1 audio over HDMI, as well as DD/DTS bitstreams.

The C1/C1+ has HEVC decode (8 bit 1080p) and at times feels a bit snappier than the Pi 2, though the C1/C1+ also has (or at least had) tearing issues in the UI, and poorer software support (though wrxtasy does a great job with his OpenElec builds). No 3D MVC or PCM multichannel output with the C1/C1+, but it does have GigE and a better I/O implementation than both the Pi and Pi 2 (though for a pure media player this isn't an issue)
I have a Pi 1
Ideally I would like an all in one unit like the Firestick which has a great wifi and remote. So simple to connect around the back of TV's and powers off the USB.
Can't believe anyone could produce a video player without obligatory 24p support!?,
Fire TV seems best bet at moment for all in one as it will do 24p. I made the mistake of thinking the Firestick was the same only smaller and less features
Quote:Fire TV seems best bet at moment for all in one as it will do 24p. I made the mistake of thinking the Firestick was the same only smaller and less features
No it will not as I have already explained to you in the other thread. Same limitation as the FireTV stick.

I think you are getting confused between 24Hz being marketed as 24p, when it is not. 23.976fps video played on the FireTV1/2 at 24Hz will give you a video frame glitch approx. every 41 seconds. The Fire TV's cannot output nicely synced 23.976fps video.

(2015-12-08, 10:50)pacemaker1000 Wrote: I have a Pi 1
Ideally I would like an all in one unit like the Firestick which has a great wifi and remote. So simple to connect around the back of TV's and powers off the USB.
Can't believe anyone could produce a video player without obligatory 24p support!?,
Fire TV seems best bet at moment for all in one as it will do 24p. I made the mistake of thinking the Firestick was the same only smaller and less features

Think the Fire TVs don't do 23.976 - just 24.000? So you're in the realms of 'sync playback to display' IF that works on the Fire TV. *** HOWEVER - not sure this is enabled in Android ***

I can see the draw of using a Fire TV - but like many Android solutions it's quite a compromise for Kodi purposes. Personally I much prefer my Pi 2 to a FireTV Stick (I've not used a Fire TV), as Kodi runs far better on a Pi 2 in my opinion (and I got auto refresh rate switching, proper support of both 23.976 and 24.000, 59.94 and 60.00 output, as well as 50Hz, decent deinterlacing and HD Audio lossless output as PCM 5.1/7.1).

For remote control of the Pi 2 I've used CEC, an old MCE RC6 USB remote, a £1 PoundWorld Bluetooth receiver with a PS3 BD remote, a WIFI remote on my iPhone, and all have worked OK. I use a cheap case and the Pi Foundation PSU.

I gave the Fire TV stick to my mum for Netflix access.
(2015-12-08, 10:50)pacemaker1000 Wrote: Ideally I would like an all in one unit like the Firestick which has a great wifi and remote. So simple to connect around the back of TV's and powers off the USB.
Whilst not cheap but have you considered a WeTek Core ?
You could easily hide the lightweight box either behind the TV or buried in a cabinet somewhere because it uses a Wireless Remote control so no line of sight even needed. Its also low powered so can stay on 24/7.
You also get nice 24p video sync and you will still get 1080p HD Netflix + other DRM Apps. Even Netflix is nicely 24p synced. Smile

(2015-12-08, 08:56)noggin Wrote: ...the C1/C1+ also has (or at least had) tearing issues in the UI, and poorer software support (though wrxtasy does a great job with his OpenElec builds).
There should be a fix coming down the pipe for this Mali meson8, OpenGL ES, Kodi GUI tearing. In fact the AML platform is about to get a whole lot more support for libCEC and a bunch of other things in Linux from some experienced guys. I cannot divulge any further details.

(2015-12-08, 10:50)pacemaker1000 Wrote: I have a Pi 1

What have you done it increase it's performance over standard? I have 3 RPI Model Bs and they perform adequately when configured properly. Mine are overclocked to 1Ghz and have various other mods that allow small increases in performance.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-12-09, 04:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 08:56)noggin Wrote: ...the C1/C1+ also has (or at least had) tearing issues in the UI, and poorer software support (though wrxtasy does a great job with his OpenElec builds).
There should be a fix coming down the pipe for this Mali meson8, OpenGL ES, Kodi GUI tearing. In fact the AML platform is about to get a whole lot more support for libCEC and a bunch of other things in Linux from some experienced guys. I cannot divulge any further details.

Good news. If the LibCEC stuff adds the same level of functionality as on the Pi/Pi2 that would be great. Specifically Kodi controlling a connected AVRs volume. I don't use CEC for anything else other than that.
(2015-12-08, 12:30)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 10:50)pacemaker1000 Wrote: Ideally I would like an all in one unit like the Firestick which has a great wifi and remote. So simple to connect around the back of TV's and powers off the USB.
Whilst not cheap but have you considered a WeTek Core ?
You could easily hide the lightweight box either behind the TV or buried in a cabinet somewhere because it uses a Wireless Remote control so no line of sight even needed. Its also low powered so can stay on 24/7.
You also get nice 24p video sync and you will still get 1080p HD Netflix + other DRM Apps. Even Netflix is nicely 24p synced. Smile

if you can live without netflix and DRM stuff, virtually ALL amlogic devices can do perfect framerate switching with Openelec installed,

I know they are cheap and unsupported from the manufacturers but luckily there are many good people working on the firmwares and these days. The Chinese s802 devices with openelec work perfect, CEC support, frame switching, DD and DTS passthrough, can go wrong if your smart TV has Netflix you can use.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap 24p hardware0