Celeron vs Pentium NUC?
Hello,
I want to build my first HTPC/Download server to offload that activity from my main pc.
It will be a linux box with kodi, some torrent client (probably transmission) and SickBeard for automated TV download.

I'm wondering whether a Celeron base NUC would be sufficient and save me the 50$ or would I have to splurge on the Pentium?

Thx,
z
HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you have a specific need for it, such as gamers, etc.

These days the popular choiice is to get a NAS that can be your Linux/NAS/SickNeard/Torrent Client/etc + a set-top-box or small factor Kodi client.

Start with the sticky thread called "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)"
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Getting a separate nas and some kind of media player that mostly has limited support could be a option but could be expensive.
Problem with the nuc you don't have real storage space in it and then you need to play around with removable hard drives what makes it look messy.
That's why getting a small and powerful enough nas often a better choice.
Or get a bigger case and use the PC as mediaplayer with Kodi and download machine.
But it makes it also mostly noisier.
Which mediaplayer supports your needs depends on what kind if video and audio you want and what kind of support.
Like the wetek it looks promising but you need to wait for the hardware company till they are willing to update there Kodi version.
That's why I would choose something that supports the normal Kodi versions so I have the free choice what to install and use.
For some people a RPi 2 does all they need.
For example if you connect it straight to your tv.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
True, forgot to mention that. More expensive at the beginning but cheaper long term.

If you get the correct NAS for your needs, it can be years, 4-6, before you have to do anything to it.
With Kodi client, plenty of options under $200USD and that is the high end prices. These are changing rapidly...
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-12-15, 08:17)shabuboy Wrote: HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you have a specific need for it, such as gamers, etc.

These days the popular choiice is to get a NAS that can be your Linux/NAS/SickNeard/Torrent Client/etc + a set-top-box or small factor Kodi client.

Start with the sticky thread called "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)"

why is it a thing of the past ?
it can do everything any set top box can do and more if i'm not mistaken, it can also run windows / OpenElec
you can get the full web browsing experience on it ,
you can use it as a media player / download server / 2d gaming console and even some 3d on low res
you can easily use external storage connected to your router/network or just a small usb cable in the back of your NUC.

i'm new to this and i currently does not own a kodi dedicated device,
i'm using my gaming desktop at the moment but planning to get a NUC to do exactly what the OP is asking for because i think it is the best all rounder.

Please feel free to correct me and show me if there are better alternatives to the NUC.
Well, the people above are correct in one regard - NUCs are severely limited if you need local storage. If you have any other means of getting content to your kodi, a NUC (what I use) is in almost all cases the best choice to make considering money and power consumption vs. size..
HTPCs are no more or less a "thing of the past" than they were five years ago. The line between an embedded box and an HTPC is very blurry, anyways. All that matters is if it works for what a person needs.

The Celeron NUC is plenty fast enough for what you need, OP. Unless you feel like you would need a little more umph, I wouldn't worry much about it a lot.
I got the Pentium solely because I like having a bit extra umph.

Everything I read suggests I have unneeded umph and could of saved $50, but that does not bother me.

I vote with the "GET A NAS" crowd. A big honking noisy PC in my entertainment center is not what I want. Heck... the NUC fan bugs the sh.... heck out of me. I'm gonna get a fanless case soon.
(2015-12-15, 21:21)smitopher Wrote: I'm gonna get a fanless case soon.
which case? There is imo only one fanless case available for the Braswell NUC..the Akasa Newton P.
(2015-12-15, 21:21)smitopher Wrote: I got the Pentium solely because I like having a bit extra umph.

Everything I read suggests I have unneeded umph and could of saved $50, but that does not bother me.

I vote with the "GET A NAS" crowd. A big honking noisy PC in my entertainment center is not what I want. Heck... the NUC fan bugs the sh.... heck out of me. I'm gonna get a fanless case soon.

pfft, the nuc fan is all but silent. An HVAC system turning on and blowing air out the vents makes more noise than a NUC. I can't even hear it 10 feet away.
I can certainly hear the fan on my i5 Haswell NUC when it kicks in. And I'm more than 10 feet away. Doesn't worry me hugely - but I can definitely hear it.
(2015-12-15, 21:53)slag Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 21:21)smitopher Wrote: I got the Pentium solely because I like having a bit extra umph.

pfft, the nuc fan is all but silent. An HVAC system turning on and blowing air out the vents makes more noise than a NUC. I can't even hear it 10 feet away.
i can. An annoying buzz. Not really loud, but annoying.

The Newton P is likely what I'll get.
I have the celeron N3050 NUC. Wish I had gone something better (probably an i3) that had a bit faster clock speed and maybe more cores. I am having issues with certain files not playing smoothly, and when I went into the system monitor (I'm running Ubuntu), it has 1 (if not both) cores maxed out to 100% (this happens constantly if mythtv is recording anything).

With mythtv, I also find that playback sometimes freezes for up to 30sec and then fast forwards until it catches up. as soon as it freezes I look at the system monitor and the CPU is always maxed out.
I have the Pentium NUC and I dropped it in the Akasa Newton P fanless case. I have a separate Myth box. I highly like not running them both on the same box but that is your decision.

Plenty of performance for running OpenElec alone and it's silent.

Now while running Stock OpenElec is stable, I was rather disappointed with the performance of the Pentium as deinterlacing performance was poor and there were some files that did not seem to play well.

I've been running the EGL OpenElec dev build. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
The EGL dev build does have great color (NO banding) and can deinterlace Live TV with very smooth playback of all of my media due to the advanced GPU support in the EGL Build.

Stable... uh... not really. But hey... it is a DEV build.
(2016-01-27, 14:44)MicWit Wrote: I have the celeron N3050 NUC. Wish I had gone something better (probably an i3) that had a bit faster clock speed and maybe more cores. I am having issues with certain files not playing smoothly, and when I went into the system monitor (I'm running Ubuntu), it has 1 (if not both) cores maxed out to 100% (this happens constantly if mythtv is recording anything).

With mythtv, I also find that playback sometimes freezes for up to 30sec and then fast forwards until it catches up. as soon as it freezes I look at the system monitor and the CPU is always maxed out.

Make sure you upgrade the kernel to at least 4.3. The stock kernel in Ubuntu isn't Braswell-friendly yet. That could account for performance troubles.

I changed my all-in-one HTPC into a file server under the stairs, and now run a Braswell Pentium NUC as my Kodi box. It does have a slight fan buzz, but it's silent in my cabinet, and it performs great! Just for reference, I'm using the Fritsch OE v6.0.98 which has the correct kernel already and has been rock-solid. Smitopher is likely talking about the v17 DEV build that is continually updated. I decided to stick with the stable 15.2 version of OpenElec that is linked in that same thread. Granted it isn't being actively supported, I needed something stable and feature-rich since I'm not the only user. I run MediaPortal on the file server as a backend PVR, the OE Chromium unofficial addon, and RetroArch. I also use my new Harmony Ultimate via Bluetooth with the NUC. No issues, so that makes me and the family happy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Celeron vs Pentium NUC?0