Netflix Hegemonic Expansion - Threat or Opportunity
Interested in hearing people's thoughts.
Meh, I always think of Kodi as a video player for a user's local media.

However, there is a huge opportunity with Android and the fact that there are so many different streaming services. Imagine Kodi indexing all of the shows from all of the services you have (Netflix, Hulu, etc), and then you use the Kodi UI to browse everything. When you find a show or movie you want to watch, Kodi launches the native Android app and goes directly to that video.

vs having to wade through each individual app to figure out what shows/movies are available.

Kodi would need a way to pass on the app-specific URL to the external app, maybe as an "external player" in an strm file, and have some way of generating these entries (strm file generator or an add-on). Whatever creates the index could then exclude anything you have an actual local copy of. A single library UI that lets you browse/filter/search your local library and online content. Sure, it would be great if they also used the same player UI/app, but I would kill for even this kind of "launcher" approach.

It's possible to do this on platforms other than Android (and this has been done with Netflix via browsers), but Android has official clients that are also remote-control friendly.

* Ned Scott wipes away his drool.
The unfortunate reality is that kodi is too small to get these guys to the table. Also, doesn't help that local storage is antithetical to their business models.

But maybe kodi could have a role to play as a bridge between the people who store locally and these companies? A half-way house that shifts them from download-and-storers to high quality streamers.
@ned scott

something like this?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...r-t3281310
Certainly not a threat, as great number of people like myself just don't trust any of these streaming services and prefer to keep all our media local. At least with a local file I'll always have guaranteed access, while with streaming services you're at the mercy of changes to your account whether price or how accounts are structured, plus stuff is constantly being removed from these services due to rights expiring and not being renewed.
I use both - streaming services mostly for tv-shows and Kodi for my local library, so I don't see how these couldn't coexist. And I usually prefer the much better quality of my local library vs the reduced bitrate streaming stuff. And as broadband is still not available everywhere in a good enough quality to f.e. allow multiple 1080p streams in a house hold, offline content/media is still the way to go
(2016-01-09, 11:57)da-anda Wrote: And as broadband is still not available everywhere in a good enough quality ...

I have seen this written multiple times, but it is not the point people think it is. All it does is say that Netflix + improved broadband would be a threat, rather than Netflix on its own.

Something I've thought about is kodi's content-ignored advantages, and I have convinced myself that SKINS and the ability to modify skins is probably the biggest advantage there is. Unfortunately, Confluence does not bring that the the fore; kodi's biggest non-content advantage is hidden from new users.

I know a replacement is being worked on for Confluence, but if skin selection became part of the installation process then skins might take their rightful place in user's minds. Imagine if when people thought 'kodi' or 'xbmc' they thought about skins rather than piracy.
A threat to kodi? Let's assume a thing like a threat exists for a product like kodi, then I'd say it is definitely a threat. Looking at my 14 year old niece coming generations will most probably not even know local media even exists.

I grew up with tapes, vinyl, cds, vhs, dvds and later began transferring these on my harddrives and NAS. Perfect for media consumption with kodi. But even I'm beginning to see the advantages of online content, cloud solutions and such as these services are getting better and better and are affordable. The huge downside is these cannot be accessed with kodi. So there is growing a part of my media collection that I can't use kodi with. Sad thing but it's true. Sadly all the online services have set up walls to access them, that kodi so far can't overcome.
(2016-01-10, 00:35)DarkHelmet Wrote: A threat to kodi? Let's assume a thing like a threat exists for a product like kodi, then I'd say it is definitely a threat. Looking at my 14 year old niece coming generations will most probably not even know local media even exists.

I grew up with tapes, vinyl, cds, vhs, dvds and later began transferring these on my harddrives and NAS. Perfect for media consumption with kodi. But even I'm beginning to see the advantages of online content, cloud solutions and such as these services are getting better and better and are affordable. The huge downside is these cannot be accessed with kodi. So there is growing a part of my media collection that I can't use kodi with. Sad thing but it's true. Sadly all the online services have set up walls to access them, that kodi so far can't overcome.

They are getting better and better, but so is local media. UHD Blu Ray will bring 4K 100Mb\s+ HDR video, it's going to be a some time before internet speeds catch up so streaming at those bitrates is doable for a lot of people.Couple of years at least. As of right now, the audio side of streaming is cringeworthy, Dolby Digital at best in 2016? You must be kidding me.

But yeah, Netflix is great for quick\occasional viewing, but if i want to fire up something like Mad Mad Fury Road or Interstellar, it's not cutting it, 4K BDs with Dolby Atmos (when they re-release then on UHD BD i mean, oviously) or bust. So for the next couple of years local media is still fine, but eventually streaming will take over, hopefully by that time companies like Netflix will be more open with smaller projects like Kodi.
Can these formats you are talking about be played in Kodi? I'm still buying dvds, because blu ray in kodi is still not really fully functional if I'm still informed correctly.

However, even these things will eventually move to the cloud and streaming services.
(2016-01-10, 01:19)DarkHelmet Wrote: Can these formats you are talking about be played in Kodi? I'm still buying dvds, because blu ray in kodi is still not really fully functional if I'm still informed correctly.

However, even these things will eventually move to the cloud and streaming services.

1) Kodi can playback 1080p videos with DTS-HD \ Dolby True HD sound just fine , what current Blu Ray disks use . The only thing that Kodi does not have is support for Blu Ray disk menus , but since a lot of people only want the actual movie (including myself) , the menus are not important (even if you have the movie ripped as a full ISO image, you'll still be able to access the main movie). I think work was being done on the menu side of things, but i have no clue where the current situation is, i never cared since i'm ripping \ playing the main movie anyway.

As for the next generation, Kodi can already do 4K playback in the latest builds, but if and when it's going to be able to playback UHD Blu Ray ISO images , that remains to be seen until the format appears on the market this year.

Yes, eventually they , there's no denying that 10 years from now, local media will mostly be forgotten, even by home theatre enthusiats.
But what if Netflix comes on Kodi as a add-on ? A Simple addon from them officially on Kodi could be great. Imagine streaming 1080p streams from Netflix on a 5 dollar Raspberry pi
(2016-01-24, 15:51)jaspreet Wrote: But what if Netflix comes on Kodi as a add-on ? A Simple addon from them officially on Kodi could be great. Imagine streaming 1080p streams from Netflix on a 5 dollar Raspberry pi

While it would be great, I can't see this happening. Netflix insists on DRM. That is not possible with open source Kodi and/or hardware decoder support.
(It would be very easy to grab the video being submitted to the hardware decoder and save it to a file).
(2016-01-08, 15:21)JinJin Wrote: @ned scott

something like this?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...r-t3281310

NICE!
@NedScott, Yahoo released something like what you described a while ago. I use it on my phone all the time http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/10/...ther-ones/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix Hegemonic Expansion - Threat or Opportunity0