new raspberry owner with newbie questions...
Just got my PI2 yesterday and so far I like it but running into issues.

Some I think are OS issues (mouse is not sensitive enough and I can't find where to adjust it)

I started with Noobs>openelec>kodi 14.x but upgraded tonight to open elec 6 and kodi 15.

This still did not address stuttering issues and slow playback. I am using windows media center with serverwmc to stream live tv

On CBS I get sound drop outs, slow playback and the sound is out of sync.

ABC is better as the playback is normal or at least nearly normal but the sound is out of sync, About once a minute or so I see a popup near the top right of the screen and it gets the sound back in sync for a bit then it starts falling behind till the box pops up again.

Can kodi handle live tv in hd or would I have a better chance in 720p? Anything i can do to fix this. This is over ethernet, I have not bothered with wifi till I can get this sorted out.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
You'll need to buy the mpeg-2 codec from the raspberry pi foundation.
(2016-01-09, 08:38)doug Wrote: You'll need to buy the mpeg-2 codec from the raspberry pi foundation.

Thanks...will give it a try and see what happens..
Yes. MPEG2 licence is needed for HD MPEG2 decode on the Pi and Pi 2, and both SD and HD OTA TV in the US is in MPEG2 format.

In Europe MPEG2 is only used for SD broadcasts, and H264/AVC is used for all HD, and also significant numbers of SD channels. The Pi / Pi 2 come with H264 as standard. MPEG2 is an option. The Pi 2 is fast enough to do a basic SD MPEG2 decode in software, but for HD, and decent quality SD deinterlacing, you'll want the licence.
(2016-01-09, 12:21)noggin Wrote: Yes. MPEG2 licence is needed for HD MPEG2 decode on the Pi and Pi 2, and both SD and HD OTA TV in the US is in MPEG2 format.

In Europe MPEG2 is only used for SD broadcasts, and H264/AVC is used for all HD, and also significant numbers of SD channels. The Pi / Pi 2 come with H264 as standard. MPEG2 is an option. The Pi 2 is fast enough to do a basic SD MPEG2 decode in software, but for HD, and decent quality SD deinterlacing, you'll want the licence.

Thanks for the explanation as I wondered how it would work *at all* if it needed the key but doing it in software explains it.

When I woke up this am, the key was waiting for me, I am getting errors trying to upload via sftp but I think it is a read only file system. /flash is the correct dir?
(2016-01-09, 18:28)fletch101e Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 12:21)noggin Wrote: Yes. MPEG2 licence is needed for HD MPEG2 decode on the Pi and Pi 2, and both SD and HD OTA TV in the US is in MPEG2 format.

Thanks for the explanation as I wondered how it would work *at all* if it needed the key but doing it in software explains it.

When I woke up this am, the key was waiting for me, I am getting errors trying to upload via sftp but I think it is a read only file system. /flash is the correct dir?

Yep - instructions here : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config.txt Either edit the file on another computer, or mount the fs as r/w to do the edit.
(2016-01-09, 18:44)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 18:28)fletch101e Wrote:

Yep - instructions here : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config.txt Either edit the file on another computer, or mount the fs as r/w to do the edit.

The remount worked and let me upload the edited file via sftp. But it's still not working and reports MPG2=disabled when I check.

I added decode_MPG2=<snip> to the config.txt Is there any other steps I need to do?

Thanks.

key removed - DarrenHill
You probably didn't want to post your key in public...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-09, 19:07)fletch101e Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 18:28)fletch101e Wrote: Thanks for the explanation as I wondered how it would work *at all* if it needed the key but doing it in software explains it.

The remount worked and let me upload the edited file via sftp. But it's still not working and reports MPG2=disabled when I check.

I added decode_MPG2=<snip> to the config.txt Is there any other steps I need to do?

Thanks.

key removed - DarrenHill

You didn't include the # did you (that's a remark symbol and everything after it is ignored)

Also - have you re-opened the file to check it saved and survived a reboot?

Did you definitely receive your key? At one point you got an e-mail explaining how to install the key (with a dummy example key), and a separate email with the actual key in it.
(2016-01-09, 19:07)fletch101e Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 18:28)fletch101e Wrote: Thanks for the explanation as I wondered how it would work *at all* if it needed the key but doing it in software explains it.

Thanks.

I am good now. I moved the line to the bottom of the file and then it worked. Not sure If I had an extra line space/etc but regardless it's going good now

play back is MUCH better!

I still have some general ?'s but want to play with it a bit first. Thanks for all the help
I'd suggest you overclock a little bit and enable MMAL Advanced deinterlacing. It should significantly improve HDTV quality on interlaced channels (Usually NBC, CBS and PBS are 1080i in the US. Fox and ABC are usually 720p)
(2016-01-09, 19:25)DarrenHill Wrote: You probably didn't want to post your key in public...
Aren't they unique keys for each pi?

Might be wrong, it's been a while.
(2016-01-09, 19:28)noggin Wrote: I'd suggest you overclock a little bit and enable MMAL Advanced deinterlacing. It should significantly improve HDTV quality on interlaced channels (Usually NBC, CBS and PBS are 1080i in the US. Fox and ABC are usually 720p)

Thanks I will look into this...so far so good though.

If posting the key is an issue,I can delete, but it is unique to my serial #
Ah yes, those ones are.

Sorry, force of habit for such things...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-09, 19:46)fletch101e Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:28)noggin Wrote: I'd suggest you overclock a little bit and enable MMAL Advanced deinterlacing. It should significantly improve HDTV quality on interlaced channels (Usually NBC, CBS and PBS are 1080i in the US. Fox and ABC are usually 720p)

Thanks I will look into this...so far so good though.

If posting the key is an issue,I can delete, but it is unique to my serial #

I moved my rb to a new tv so it could be that, but I did make this change and it did see to help though..thanks.

Really amazed what this thing can do..even reads my iso's something plex can't do,

My rp came with an 8 gig card,not sure of the brand (cana kit). I would like to image this and then reinstall on another larger card (this one has noob on it).

Any recommendations on known good cards + and software to image it?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new raspberry owner with newbie questions...0