Bulkzooi is back
I wonder how much Hollywood already is in this community... The drama is there.

Ofc Android is great. It's highest selling and growing influence available for the Kodi software. Those millions Android users are important. Besides the platform-independent "Piracy thread" (that's content-related) is also not just because of Android, also ARM and it's combined low-prices draw a lot of shippers. Platform doesn't matter, be it hardware or shipping via Amazon, Allibabba, Ebay; Kodi will survive on Github.

The problems are related to those shippers. In extended words: the distribution of the Kodi software. Whether they distribute "pirated" addons is not in the realm of XBMC Foundation; they aren't even distributing. Only some devs and sponsors (or who ever wants) distribute Kodi on their own title. Here is the friction among teamKODI, Kodi Foundation and God knows what other forces.

I think it's good that ARM/Android has lead to this discussion about those intertwined subjects. Conflict of interests become more obvious and without proper guidance of it, this mess is what happens. Even with many great devs, Fernetmenta, Fritsch, Montellse and Koying to name a few those forces can still manage to disrupt the project. Call it however you want: there are conflict of interests all over the place while the Foundation is clearly lacking progress in this matter for so many years.

XBMC Foundation in it's current shape can't control this friction. This way, the Foundation is besides pointless also useless. What is it's mission statement anyway? I can't find it anywhere... Same for the (historical!) bylaws, votes, annual reports, meetings notes, etc. Clearly this is not inline with the ethics around XBMC Foundation (which none of the donators can't fact check). However, community have been blown away with distribution related legal stuff like piracy stands and trademarks.

Maybe still not in compliance with some app-stores like Amazon; let it be. The Kodi project has more important things to fix than listening to sentimental Davilla about dropping it's most successful platform. What a joke.

ps. Koying: Probably your future work ends up sooner in a locked down ecosystem than Kodi itself. The project itself can even manage without Android.
ps2. This is my mantra since XBMC Foundation existence. Then I was told it by JMarshall that it would take some time. I think now is the time.
Updated above with some details.

There is a good blogpost over the foundation. Best known pubic info to my knowledge.
Code:
The XBMC foundation is a US-based non-profit (we do in fact have 501(c)(3) status).

Expect a news post and further details to be on the website in the near future. No ETA on that – it’ll be there when it’s done. If the US is anything like NZ, I suspect you can probably discover copies of the articles of incorporation and the like should you wish to from the appropriate US authority in the mean time.

To be clear: There is no need or desire for any of this stuff to be secret – indeed, it is our goal to be as open and transparent as possible – it’s one of the reasons we started the foundation in the first place. Unfortunately, setting up the foundation has taken a LONG time and a LOT of effort (it’s been almost 2 years and we still don’t have a bank account…) I think you’ll agree that it’s best to ensure everything is completely in order prior to announcing it in an official manner.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Stop being a fucking ass
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'm worried.
Worry that you'll be kicked of the forum again.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-01-09, 09:13)Martijn Wrote: Stop being a fucking ass

I don't see anything in Robotica's post that justifies those words.
(2016-01-09, 09:27)FernetMenta Wrote:

Robotica's history may have been before your time, Fernet. He's been professing the end of XBMC since the moment the team started talking about creating a Foundation. He's regularly convinced that we're in league with the movie studios, all the hardware vendors, and whoever else, and that we're constantly out to just get a quick buck. No matter how many documents we post in the wiki and anywhere else showing what our organization is and does, he's convinced that just around the corner is the deep, dark underbelly of the Foundation, waiting to switch from GPL to closed source and sell out to the highest bidder. It's been like that since 2009 when he was known as bulkzooi.

Eventually, when he starts really getting convinced that we're all out to kill open source, he'll get banned, and then he'll come back with a new user name. Sometimes he'll calm down. Sometimes not. Perhaps any individual rant isn't worth martijn's words, but the grand total of his history telling us that we're all evil gremlins out to steal his Precious can lead to some pretty extreme frustration.
(2016-01-09, 09:27)FernetMenta Wrote:

Robotica's been soapboxing conspiracy theories about the XBMC Foundation for years. For a while he behaves and posts normally, adding to threads and having good feedback, etc. Then eventually he goes off about all of this again. I guess he lost the link we gave him last time to XBMC Foundation (wiki), which contains the documents he keeps asking about. (though the page is missing an updated member list and the last Board voting info).

I don't think the guy should be perm-banned (again). For one, despite how insulting he gets sometimes, he's normally well behaved. And two, I'm pretty sure he just posts under a different name every time we ban the "Robotica" account, which just makes it harder to ignore him (if people wish to do so). So maybe there's nothing he's said this time that justifies calling him an ass, but considering past situations, I can understand the frustration.

However, I would appreciate if a mod would split off his posts into their own topic.

EDIT: what natethomas said
For example, he's constantly asking for a purpose statement and by-laws, and those have been posted for I don't know how many years.

Foundation Purpose Statement (inside Cert of Incorporation) http://kodi.wiki/images/3/30/Delaware_In...Notice.pdf
By-Laws: http://kodi.wiki/images/a/a0/ByLaws.pdf

Both posted for several years now.
No, XBMC Foundation is doing a terrible job in being a good steward for the software. Github repository however, runs fine. But I guess Martijn is one of the dicks and I have a message you don't understand or like.
The only one here in this thread (and many others) that can't use normal words is Martijn. His comments are alway's very short and insulting a lot off people.I think the only words he can use is Fuck of, I will ban you, Get a life etc I really think something is really wrong with his attitude. But this is just on a site note, sorry for that, but that's what i read on many posts.
Nate: I used this url: http://kodi.wiki/images/c/c9/Delaware_No...anding.pdf
Yours seems newer. 1a of your bylaws says aggregate copyright although I heard individual copyright. Is that an outdated version? I didn't bother reading further.. But I'm interested in many details. Most importantly, how ended current votes? Still hanging in there?

But my info may be outdated or just hearsay; some of it is still valid. I'll wait for future announcement. I saw RetroPlayer comming! Biggest feature since PVR. It's not all sad news.

I think Fernetmenta is by far most senior around. Let him talk ;-)

edit: Or Koying, Spiff, Opdenkamp, Memphiz, or many others. There are a lot more dedicated smart guys around here and i can't imagine them seeing you both on the right position. I'm not fully aware of all problems but they seem complicated as hardcores Koying and Fritsch sounds their voice. Hopefully Fernetmenta can fix arisen problems and continue mighty work on the renderpipeline and continue this project as is. What's needed is a strong leader who connects ownership with community. This Foundations stinks and needs an external guide alongside Fernetmenta, Montelesse, a few of those above and rest of the committers on github if they would like to. Some team-formalization procedures might do the trick. Yet the scary "governance" word is unheard of.

And Nate: You are so wrong on my spirit or motivation. I see FOSS Software as a tool for software to become part of the commons.
You with all info available, think those ethical values are well vested in the kore of this Foundation? And I go back 'till 2004 or so, so stop with those stupid acquisitions to discredit me. I heard you talking on a video about those matters. That was a nice, but short-sided intro. You can always start with reading this open letter dated 20 May, 2010. If you have time, I would have a good read overthere.
retracted
See? Crazy.
(2016-01-09, 09:55)misa Wrote: The only one here in this thread (and many others) that can't use normal words is Martijn. His comments are alway's very short and insulting a lot off people.I think the only words he can use is Fuck of, I will ban you, Get a life etc I really think something is really wrong with his attitude. But this is just on a site note, sorry for that, but that's what i read on many posts.

+1 obviously Wink

(2016-01-09, 13:40)natethomas Wrote: See? Crazy.

Some called Joan of Arc Crazy but in the end as French I'm quite happy she was how she was because she was damn right Wink
(Nothing related to Robotica strange and not clear message at all, but just a reminder that when lot's of people says the same things, maybe their are not all crazy Wink

And even if I do believe the Foundation purpose is not evil, I also do know that the relationship is really not clear for at least 90% of peoples.

Edit : Redacted before the split :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bulkzooi is back0