"Theatre/Centre" vs "Theater/Center", British or American spelling?
What do you guys think about the spelling of these two words in the context of Kodi and its websites text?

Should team Kodi spell them "Home Theater" and "Media Center", or "Home Theatre" and "Media Centre"?

I for one know of no commercial electronics devices in the same niche as Kodi, such as example media players and home cinema speakers, that use the spelling "Home Theatre" and "Media Centre" instead of "Home Theater" and "Media Center" in their marketing material or product names.

I know that this is partially just semantics and mostly a bored persons rant, and I am usually not a grammar police but for some reason the choice of the choice spelling bothers me that team Kodi is not consistent in the spelling of a few key words that are very important words for the core meaning of what Kodi is used for.

I thought that the Kodi team had already made a conscious choice to go with American English spelling default for all Kodi's websites? If so, then is it just me or is the Kodi team choice of British verses American English spelling not consistent on the kodi.tv website/forum/code?

Anyway, point is that I have noticed that you use the wording "Home Theatre", which is British (originally French) spelling, instead of spelling it "Home Theater" as Americans do.

On the other hand you have spelled "Media Center", which is American English spelling, instead of spelling it "Media Centre" as the British do.

I for one just think that spelling it "Theatre/Centre" spelling looks wrong it when talking about "Home Theater" software, HTPC, or consumer electronics.

If you at team Kodi spell it "media center" and not "media centre" when referring is the Kodi software, why do you spell it "Home Theatre" and not "Home Theater".

While both "theater" and "theatre" do not follow the traditional rules of British and American spelling and can grammatically be used interchangeably in the United States. The British spellings of "centre" just like "metre" are consistently switched to "center" and "meter", respectively, in American spelling.

For me personally the word "Theatre" is only associated with stage theatre for like drama performance, not used to describe a movie theater or home cinema. And living in Europe I associate the word "centre" with a brick and mortar community/visiting centre, not a media center software, hardware, or device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_theater
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_cinema
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC

Again, I know the spelling for the word "theater" verses "theatre" is semantics and have no difference in meaning, but should you not at least try be consistent when you spell it "center" and not "centre"?
Theatre and centre are correct.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-02-05, 22:03)nickr Wrote: Theatre and centre are correct.

I expect better from a mod especially when he wrote an essay explaining it. Not ignorance and arrogance. Shame.
Sorry to dash your expectations. I dislike American spelling, but my post certainly was a little tongue in cheek.

Anyway, chill out.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not aware of a situation in which we use the English spelling.
I just took exception with the "are correct" part. But point taken.

Me personally, I think American spelling looks better visually, but I'm on the England side for punctuation specifically no comma before and. But whatever, who really cares how it's spelt, we can all read lol.
I probably should have added smiley to my first post in this thread!

I agree that it should be consistent throughout the site.
Since the default language of the software is real English and not the bastardised American English (said as someone born, raised & lives in England) then the English spellings should be used everywhere Big Grin
I blame Webster and his dictionary for all this kerfuffle. As a soutpiel with foot in the UK and Canada the different spellings are automatically translated into the Queen's English.
I'm with jjd-uk - we should use british english as it's also the default of Kodi itself
Last I checked US keyboard and en-US-utf8 were the defaults Smile

Also i dont notice any British spelling in kodi besides the obvious "favourites" which btw looks disgusting, favorites looks WAY better. So I don't think it's the default. Honestly, it would be a smarter decision to go with American English as the default if you have to pick one, that's not because I'm in the USA, it's because it's more of a global standard. But I don't really care.
Nope en-gb is definitely the default for anything related to language, unless you are using a build that does not come from an official channel.
Note my responses are slightly tongue in cheek as well, I don't particularly care what we use however we should always aim to be consistent.
british english spelling looks MEH.
-1 on using it.
But seriously, if there are links to where we use it inconsistently, I'd be happy to fix it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Theatre/Centre" vs "Theater/Center", British or American spelling?0