• 22(current)
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...
jmarshall Wrote:Indeed - I appreciate the joke about the Audi though.

Fortunately, the small amount I've received in donations (mostly consisting of a couple of modchips and a little cash from "code this and I'll pay you $x") has been more than I expected or desired. I'm with spiff - I'm not in it to make my fortune (rather fortunately :p) - I'm in it because I enjoy it, and because I am improving the application for my own use.

With that said, the donations are ofcourse extremely valued and appreciated - they help pay for the hosting (and software) of these forums, the website and so on.

If and when there's an obvious hardware platform for us to focus on, then a donation drive may be appropriate at that point to help developers out in purchasing the hardware.

The main thing we need at this point is more developers Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan,
I think a lot of people would like to get involved but aren't sure where they can be most useful. Is there a place for where small tasks related to the porting effort are kept and tracked? I saw the todo list on the wiki but how up to date is it etc?

Maybe if it were broken down to a lot of smaller chunks with dev guidelines on a recommended approach would be good.

Maybe this already exists and I'm missing the obvious. If so, forgive me.

-Ed
the list is up to date.

the best attack angle at this point; use it, crash it, figure out why, fix it. or find something that hasnt been ported yet, port it (or if that isnt applicable) reimplement it to suit the new platform.

and don't be afraid to ask, i think you'll find us most helpful when asked about code issues.
Long time lurker, home media enthusiast and serial entrepreneur here.. (nothing that resulted in complete financial freedom, but getting there).

I'm still in the commercial software / outsourcing industry and was wondering...

If developers are needed to accelerate the port to Linux here's a thought.. please no flames.

How would the XMBC developer community feel if a commercial firm (that finds making money "fun") applied it's developer resources to help complete the XMBC linux implementation and then extended the platform with proprietary features that were packaged and sold as a slick, commercial, pre-integrated, consumer friendly home media platform (think sonos and the newly launched firm Fuze http://www.fuzeav.com/).

Think of this as the RedHat business model.

Comments / thoughts?

Thanks,

bradesp
bradesp Wrote:How would the XBMC developer community feel if a commercial firm (that finds making money "fun") applied it's developer resources to help complete the XBMC linux implementation and then extended the platform with proprietary features that were packaged and sold as a slick, commercial, pre-integrated, consumer friendly home media platform (think sonos and the newly launched firm Fuze http://www.fuzeav.com/).

Think of this as the RedHat business model.

Comments / thoughts?
Team-XBMC have no problems with that at all, ...as long as your XBMC fork is kept open source and follows the GPL the source code is licensed under. Sure you might be able to workaround add some closed source proprietary plugins via some sort of API but the GPL still need to be followed for the 'core' of XBMC (ei. the GUI), we can not and will not change the license of that. See how a few companies commercialized on MythTV (and most of those are perfecly legal and follow the GPL):
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Com...hTV_System
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I noticed a bulletpoint on the todo list:
  • No good support for streaming video
and was wondering if meant streaming from http and other similar protocols, or network streaming over network filesystems like smb/cifs?

I'm kinda at that point where I may have to take the plunge and pick up a mac mini after the next refresh if it's to the point where I can actually do reliable video playback from my NASs' and my laptop.
Should work...

http://www.adam.com.au/davos/Video001HQ.3gp
Exclamation 
@bmfrosty, you are welcome to 'take the plunge' if you insist on cheking it out for yourself but know that the XBMC Linux port is still in an early development fase and we do not accept and bug-reports or feature-request nor do we offer support to end-users. It is still only meant for developers (and some very skilled/experinced Linux users) who can and want to contibute without needing to much of a helping hand themselves.

http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...rt_project
Quote:Note to XBMC end-users! Please understand that this Linux port project is not yet mature enough for you as an end-user to play with. We can not yet give you an ETA as to when it will be useful for end-users. Respect that we can not accept any bug-reports or feature/function-requests for this Linux port yet, nor do we offer support to end-users. If you as end-users have any general questions or need to get something off your chest about this then please direct that towards the existing XBMC Linux port end-user discussion topic-thread in our community-forum.
Please respect that.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
@Gamester

I happen to be an experience linux user (although a bit rusty due to OS-X over the last few years) and still have my X-Box running XBMC just fine, and picked up a computer to try and run mediaportal a few of months ago (big mistake). I'm perfectly happy to poke and prod around to get an installation working, I'd just rather invest the money on hardware to do it with once I have a platform to work on that I can reasonably expect to be up to spec a couple of years down the line.

The question still stands though, can the Linux port of XBMC as it currently is reasonably mount a network share via samba, and play back video over that network share?
The video playing on the video I sent,
isplaying off a samba share, it's probably not immediately obvious but I assure you, it's a samba share and to top it off, it's a 720P h.264 encoded video.
Quote:The question still stands though, can the Linux port of XBMC as it currently is reasonably mount a network share via samba, and play back video over that network share?

When I checked over the weekend, it could read the local filesystem, mounted NFS drives mapped into the local filesystem (mounted filesystems), and SMB inside of XBMC itself. So yes, it can access those files.

I had good success using its audio playing. Video playing always ended with a coredump, and the image flickered.

HTH
untg99 Wrote:The video playing on the video I sent,
isplaying off a samba share, it's probably not immediately obvious but I assure you, it's a samba share and to top it off, it's a 720P h.264 encoded video.

Oh. Cool. Exactly the type of confirmation I was looking for. Big Grin
gfairbanks Wrote:Video playing always ended with a coredump, and the image flickered.

But I see from untg99's movie that others are having more success. I'm sure the developers are working on the success cases for their hardware first. I did look into the coredump, but it was in one of the opengl libraries, not in the xbmc code, so I didn't look into it any further.

I'm sure you saw in the movie that his cpu load was low, as was mine, which indicates there's some overhead for higher bitrate movies.
gfairbanks,

A few questions: What is you system configuration (video card in particular)? What graphics drivers are you using? Also, I'm guessing you're using latest SVN? If possible, please paste the following:

1. xbmc.log
2. gdb backtrace
3. output of glewinfo and/or glxinfo

Thanks.
@gfairbanks

That's ok with me. This is really going to be a fun project box for me for a while. I just want to make sure that it will be something that I can get some sort of success early on and that I'll have something that I can run as a full production system afterwards.
@bmfrosty, get an NVIDIA 6150 graphic-chip/chipset or later and you should be fine with whatever other hardware you choose.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Linux port questions and answers...7