v16 Mouse lags after update to Jarvis
After updating from 15.1 yesterday, this happens on Kodi 16.0, Windows 7 SP1 32-bit, on a meagre, but so far sufficient Packard Bell Dot S netbook with Intel GMA 3600 graphics and 2 GB RAM which used to be ok, if only just, for serving SD and 720p video to a 720p digital TV (Acer AT3720) through either VGA or HDMI. What I'm now observing is that the mouse cursor is lagging, moving in steps. The UI doesn't become completely unusable, but it's not really nice to use that way. Only Kodi and its UI is affected, whether video is played or not, and video playback itself seems just as ok as it used to be. (Stepping through menus by keyboard isn't quite instantaneous, either, but as I normally don't use the keyboard to navigate I cannot really say whether it's been quicker before.)

Any ideas?

Cheers,
HB
First thing came to mind was, skin; is it default Confluence? Without a proper debug log posted to a public patesbin and linked back to this thread, we'll be in guess mode. With no or little issues with straight playback, and a borderline challenged system supported hardware (wiki), we come to things like heavy amount of graphic extras like extra franart and all those pretty things on the home page (animated weather icons) etc that would bring normal GPU's to their knees. Big difference between 15 and 16 is the move to a DX11 build while too many other changes to list here might have added some complexity to this. Outside issues may come into play, like shared graphics with limited memory, disk space for cache, multiple tasks running the background.. etc. It's truly a wonder that you had such good past experience with a close to the wire hardware system.

I've got an old Barton with an AMD 3650, and playing HD 720p videos was fine as long as I used the hardware acceleration, but the interface was as you 'now describe' as intolerable and one of the prime reasons I updated.

comes back to the old adage 'If it's not broke don't fix it'.
Log: http://pastebin.com/RKyMVLjp

Skin is default Confluence. Motive for my updating Kodi was that the Youtube plugin had stopped working and a quick search on the 'Net suggested the plugin had to be updated, and for the update to be successful it was said a more recent Kodi version was sensible, if not necessary, too. I didn't try to verify that information, though (moreover, I still didn't get the Youtube plugin to work yet, but that's another subject...).

That netbook's only purpose is to serve video or music in my livingroom, it does nothing else, no background tasks (at least not of my making, and I've stopped Windows update from doing things in the background, too). I'm quite aware that it's running at its limit with Kodi and that I will have to replace it with something more powerful sooner or later. I was hoping rather later than sooner, though ;-)
I don't think the log will tell me much, a debug log might have been a bit more helpful, (one of the add-ons is complaining). I suspect the Youtube add-on is depreciated, and at this point, I recommend the 'chrome launche' through Kodi r to cruise the youtube channels. Your reasoning is solid and if I could have gotten my old Barton set-up to work well, I could have avoided the $800 hardware update, old Dharma at 720p wasn't that bad, it's just that 1080p trough Kodi was irresistible.

Be happy.
please post a Debug Log, your isn't debug
i suspect a rouge file use portable mode see if it works ok.
Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry, I didn't realize the difference between log and debug log.

I still would have liked to find out what it was and whether the situation can be improved, but I've solved the issue now and because of severe spare-time scarceness I think I won't bother anymore. The solution was to replace the netbook with a brand new Raspberry Pi 3 (running OpenELEC). While this surely is no high-end hardware either, performance has improved by an order of magnitude and everything works like a charm. (The current OpenELEC release still uses Kodi 15.2, but I don't expect Kodi 16 to cut down performance when it finds its way to the Raspberry Pi as there's no DirectX upgrade involved...)

Cheers
HB
You've made the right decision from my point of view, the Raspberry Pi has a little prestige. On the "still would have liked to find out what it was" some things never get a full explanation. Computers are complex, between MS, the GFX card, Chips makers and sophisticated software someone might have a clue, but if that was the case, debugging wouldn't be needed. Millions of lines of code, and you have one issue on some hardware configuration that is kind of unique to that set-up ya; it would be nice if I won the 500 million lottery too.
@Hubertus...having exactly the same problem, just so you know it's not just you. And besides the stuttering with the mouse, the UI is not what it was with Isengard...at times even pixelates, which never happened with Isengard. Does this with multiple addons (if that isn't a forbidden word?).
Just wanted to follow up with my last post. I updated my NVIDIA GeForce video card (ie, since the Jarvis download...was perhaps a coupla months since I had updated) and the problem appears to have been resolved...so hopefully that's all it was?...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mouse lags after update to Jarvis0