v17 After 9.93.2016 is installed but the interface is not launched
(2016-03-30, 16:56)csgabe Wrote: Still crashes, kodi log:
http://goo.gl/g02ygV

Ok, thnx. I'm at home now so I will try to debug and fix the problem.

UPDATE:
It seems @Montellese used some JNI functions from android API 19 which are not available in API 17. Like: inputDevice.getVendorId(), inputDevice.getProductId(), device.getControllerNumber() ...

UPDATE 2:
Most of the new code for joystick is incompatible with andoid api level 17 which is used for compiling kodi. Now we have two options: Omit for now code for joystick (or make it work with older api), or we can bump minimum android requirements to api level 19 (android 4.4) and compile kodi against new api level. By doing that most of the users with older android devices will be left out in dark.
I have started compiling kodi against api level 19 to test it out.
(2016-03-30, 17:17)dan1j3l Wrote: I have started compiling kodi against api level 19 to test it out.

Mind posting an apk for confirmation? Sry for the trouble and thanks in advance.
(2016-03-30, 23:34)rubenmb Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 17:17)dan1j3l Wrote: I have started compiling kodi against api level 19 to test it out.

Mind posting an apk for confirmation? Sry for the trouble and thanks in advance.

Compilation still in progress. (I'm compiling on atom based micro-server so it's sloooooow...), I'll upload apk when it's done.

UPDATE:
Dev used one function from API 21, so I had to modify it to work on api 19.

APK build from latest source with sdk 19: Download
Applied patch to source code: Patch download
(2016-03-30, 23:46)dan1j3l Wrote: APK build from latest source with sdk 19: Download

It works! Thanks ☺
(2016-03-31, 01:57)rubenmb Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 23:46)dan1j3l Wrote: APK build from latest source with sdk 19: Download

It works! Thanks ☺

Confirmed on my mobile running 4.4. As suspected, this particular bug wasn't chipset specific, after all.
Yes this build works, media player running Android 4.4.2.
(2016-03-30, 23:46)dan1j3l Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 23:34)rubenmb Wrote:

Compilation still in progress. (I'm compiling on atom based micro-server so it's sloooooow...), I'll upload apk when it's done.

UPDATE:
Dev used one function from API 21, so I had to modify it to work on api 19.

APK build from latest source with sdk 19: Download
Applied patch to source code: Patch download

Thanks much for finding out. Could you clean up the patch and send a PullRequest to our github account? You are aware that this commit drops support for everything < API Level 19, right?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yay! This works for me too. Thank you! Smile
@fritsch Actually, it seems the joystick merge practically dropped support for < 21, and the patch allows 19 as well...
Will make our decision easier to bump to at least 19 or even 21? Smile

API 19 = Android 4.4 KitKat
API 21 = Android 5 Lollipop

We are at API 17 = Jelly Bean
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-03-31, 08:57)Martijn Wrote: Will make our decision easier to bump to at least 19 or even 21? Smile

@Martijn
I think at least for now you should support API 19 because there are a lot of devices with KitKat, and sadly not so many with Lolipop.

@fritsch Yes I am aware of dropping support for anything below API 19, but to be honest there is no point in compiling android app with current sdk if we're going to use newer API in code.
Later today I'll clean up code (I need to check other code from broken merge to see if there is any more functions from api higher than 19), and send PR.
Yep, I'm all for bumping to 19, but not yet 21.
The only devices of interest left on the side of the road will be the rooted AFTV's, which are stuck on 17. Definitely not a showstopper...
(2016-03-31, 09:43)dan1j3l Wrote:
(2016-03-31, 08:57)Martijn Wrote: Will make our decision easier to bump to at least 19 or even 21? Smile

@Martijn
I think at least for now you should support API 19 because there are a lot of devices with KitKat, and sadly not so many with Lolipop.

@fritsch Yes I am aware of dropping support for anything below API 19, but to be honest there is no point in compiling android app with current sdk if we're going to use newer API in code.
Later today I'll clean up code (I need to check other code from broken merge to see if there is any more functions from api higher than 19), and send PR.

(2016-03-31, 10:07)Koying Wrote: Yep, I'm all for bumping to 19, but not yet 21.
The only devices of interest left on the side of the road will be the rooted AFTV's, which are stuck on 17. Definitely not a showstopper...

+1 from me on setting API 19 as minimum. At later stage we'll also bump toolchain on the server itself.

@dan1j3l thx for investigating Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-03-31, 10:07)Koying Wrote: Yep, I'm all for bumping to 19, but not yet 21.

I agree. Is Jenkins configured to to build android source with SDK > 17? If not there is some reconfiguration needed (new toolchain, updating sdk to platform-19, setting sdk to android-19, ...). I also used openjdk 1.8 without issues for latest build.
But, but, but ... all the chinese boxes that don't receive firmware upgrades :-)

No, without kidding, let's bump to API19 minimum as further workarounds are not feasible. With that we could also clean some special cases in JNI stuff, Sink and so on.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After 9.93.2016 is installed but the interface is not launched1