How play 2D movies on Google Carboard (side-by-side or doubled width)?
Question 
I spend over 2 hours to try to configure Kodi (16.0) to play 2D (normal, single image) movie as side-by-side on my phone inserted into Cardboard.

No success.
Anyone know is it possible with Kodi??

My settings:

Result:

As can be seen interface is doubled (good), but movie isn't (bad) - movie is displayed as one, and in Cardboard left eye can see only one half of image, and right eye can see the other half.

So... the question is:
is it possible to double image horizontally when playing files in Kodi??
or in other words: is it possible to playback normal 2D movies in side-by-side manner so it can be watched in cardboard googles?

Playing with other options (Settings > System, Video out. > Preffered mode; Playback > Video settings > Stereoscopic 3D mode of video > Auto,etc.) didn't help.

Phone: HTC One M7, Android 5.0.2, Kodi 16.0
Try disabling "Media codec (surface)" in Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration.
Movie still isn't doubled horizontally, but something starts to change. Smile

Movie is still played back as one single image, but at least I now know that screen is divided. It can't be seen when played side-by-side...

...but when I change it to over-under, then it can be seen that screen is broke into two halves: (yeah!)

even "Invert Stereoscopic ... (flip eyes)" option (in Playback > Video settings) works fine.

It is half-way to success.
So this isn't solution yet, but now I know that Kodi have some kind of control over displayed image.

Now how display in both halves whole image (doubled horrinzontally)?

EDIT:
IT WORKS!
In Playback > Video settings > Stereoscopic 3D mode of video must be set to "Auto".

I hope that I would additionally correct aspect ratio.
One more question: is it possible to correct aspect ratio of subtitles? (now are stretched vertically)
I see no reason to put phone into cardboard and watch 2d movies this way. This can make some sense for 3d movies, but not 2d ones
It have sense if you haven't TV in bedroom or don't like hot laptop on your stomach or sleep with someone who don't like flashing light at night in bedroom. Wink

I think that at least it is better than watching movies and holding 4.7-inch phone in hand for two hours. Smile
But I agree that even on cardboard probably on long run it would be more pain than pleasure. Even in bed.
Anyway I just trying and playing with this now. On 470ppi phone screen it is bearable. (Cardboard = Shinecon VR)

Anyone have clues about changing subtitles aspect ratio?
Hello but I see your original question it's still a concern for me. I'm running Kodi 16.0 on Android. I am also having the same issue you were, but I am not able to resolve the issue. It appears I have set all my settings the same except for
Playback > Video settings > Stereoscopic 3D mode of video must be set to "Auto".
I'm in expert settings, but do not appear to have the auto as an option. I'd really appreciate any help. I have been able to get it in lots of different configurations similar to the other trials and errors. The closest I have gotten to getting it to be close is have it split the video in half as if it's supposed to be 3D.
So I can watch a 3d film in 3d or 2d fine. I can get the gui in sbs. But when it comes to 2d, I can watch it normal or half of the film fulscreen or the film spit sbs or over under.
Sorry, but for some other reasons I did factory reset of my phone, so I don't have now Kodi installed, but as I remember this option is in movie's settings (not general Settings).
Try to look at the settings under two marked icons (but I'm not sure):
Hi, I was playing with VR, and found this question too, so I have follow all the setting and find out it only work with local file AVi and RMVB video format, format that did not work only show on left half are MP4, VOB, all the kodi stream video and MKV
WOW...I spent the past 3 hours trying to figure this out before finding this page...tried what was suggested then was stumped as it did not work for me.

I got around to getting it to work. while the video is playing press the lower right button for video settings. set the "Stereoscopic mode for 3D video" to anything but auto. In my case side by side. close this screen. the 3D button will now appear on the lower right part of the screen. Enable this then switch to side by side after enabling 3D. This will split KODI's controls to side by side, but your video will still remain as it is by default, one large picture. Now proceed back to the video settings as before. Under "Stereoscopic mode for 3D video" change this back to auto.

your video will now be split side by side.

warning, you will not be able to use touch screen controls any longer in any 3D mode. if you do not have an external device for control do not proceed as you will lose all control of Kodi. I use a 5 dollar Bluetooth gamepad controller to navigate once enabled.

I think this may be a bug that was overlooked as it is not often used.

fyi, you will need to resize your zoom and pixel ratio once this is complete.
Re touchscreen, could detail the symptoms?
I quickly checked 3d (on 2d display) on a tablet and touchscreen seemed to be working...
@hachi.roku: Thanks, that did the trick also for me. No I can use the VR stuff to watch my anime during flights Big Grin

This issues should be fixed in the Kodi code. Also I can confirm that without keyboard or control via bluethooth its not possible to control Kodi anymore.
(I'm using Kodi Jarvis on Android 6.0.1 - Sony Z5 Premium)
Strange, but it work for me too.
Is it better in 17?
Thanks for all the help, still does the trick here in mid-'17.

I wanted to add, regarding the loss of touch functionality, that as long as I use the left part of the screen, everything works, while the right side of the screen is completely nonresponsive during side-by-side display.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How play 2D movies on Google Carboard (side-by-side or doubled width)?1