Playing and ISO over local network buffering
I was wondering if anybody could help me with this issue.

I have a Pi 2 in my bedroom running openElec, connected to it is a 5TB external hard drive which has a load of my DVDS ripped to iso's.
In the living room I have a Pi 3 running the same version of OpenElec.

I've only had the Pi 3 set up for two weeks but so far 90% of the iso's I stream downstairs work perfectly but the odd one or two will then skip frames or start to buffer at the same point every time, if I watch the same iso upstairs or bring the hard drive downstairs the iso plays fine.

I've added the following network settings to the advancedsettings.xml

Quote:<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> (Should use the hard drive in this case 28gb is left on the 32gb microsd)
<readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>

but on a few threads I read that when playing an iso these settings are ignored.

The strange thing is if it was a network problem I would expect it to happen all the time for all iso's but it's always the same few iso's and always at the same point in the episode, it can't be a corrupt iso because I can play them fine on either pi when the drive is connected.

Any help with this weird issue?
(2016-04-14, 12:43)ajrobson Wrote: The strange thing is if it was a network problem I would expect it to happen all the time for all iso's but it's always the same few iso's and always at the same point in the episode, it can't be a corrupt iso because I can play them fine on either pi when the drive is connected.

Probably a higher bitrate part of the file causes the buffering. You can check with codec overlay ('o' key) to see the current bitrate.
(2016-04-14, 12:53)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-04-14, 12:43)ajrobson Wrote: The strange thing is if it was a network problem I would expect it to happen all the time for all iso's but it's always the same few iso's and always at the same point in the episode, it can't be a corrupt iso because I can play them fine on either pi when the drive is connected.

Probably a higher bitrate part of the file causes the buffering. You can check with codec overlay ('o' key) to see the current bitrate.

Thank you I will have a look at that when I get home tonight. If that is the case is there anyway to stop the buffering?

Both Pi's are connected to my network using powerlines instead of Wifi because I get faster speeds over powerlines.
(2016-04-14, 15:42)ajrobson Wrote: Thank you I will have a look at that when I get home tonight. If that is the case is there anyway to stop the buffering?

Both Pi's are connected to my network using powerlines instead of Wifi because I get faster speeds over powerlines.

Well, you can test with a direct ethernet connection (perhaps my moving the Pi closer to server) which I suspect would work.
The powerline adapters will have lower performance than an ethernet cable.

You could also test converting the ISO to an mkv (perhaps with makemkv) which would allow the use of buffermode.
(2016-04-14, 12:43)ajrobson Wrote: I was wondering if anybody could help me with this issue.

I have a Pi 2 in my bedroom running openElec, connected to it is a 5TB external hard drive which has a load of my DVDS ripped to iso's.
In the living room I have a Pi 3 running the same version of OpenElec.

I've only had the Pi 3 set up for two weeks but so far 90% of the iso's I stream downstairs work perfectly but the odd one or two will then skip frames or start to buffer at the same point every time, if I watch the same iso upstairs or bring the hard drive downstairs the iso plays fine.

I've added the following network settings to the advancedsettings.xml

Quote:<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> (Should use the hard drive in this case 28gb is left on the 32gb microsd)
<readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>

but on a few threads I read that when playing an iso these settings are ignored.

The strange thing is if it was a network problem I would expect it to happen all the time for all iso's but it's always the same few iso's and always at the same point in the episode, it can't be a corrupt iso because I can play them fine on either pi when the drive is connected.

Any help with this weird issue?

Don't you need to set buffermode to 1? I thought 0 only buffers internet sources and 1 buffers all sources including local network sources.
[/quote]

Don't you need to set buffermode to 1? I thought 0 only buffers internet sources and 1 buffers all sources including local network sources.
[/quote]

Sorry that was a typo it is it set to 1
I used to have an issue with BluRay and DVD rips playing. I will have to say I messed with the GPU memory a bit and had the max buffer set to 0. I would get sometimes not all the times missed frames. I set the GPU back to normal and then set the buffer to 75MB. Really you don't need more than that if you have a good network. Since I setup normal GPU and only 75MB buffer I have had zero issues. Below is my settings with zero issues.

Quote:<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>75857600</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams in memory
WARNING: for the bytes set here, Kodi will consume 3x the amount of RAM
When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM, as of v12 Frodo -->
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Choose what to buffer:
0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
3) No buffer -->
<readbufferfactor>8.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 4.0. -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>
on my RPI-2 I use
<cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams in memory WARNING: for the bytes set here,
Kodi will consume 3x the amount of RAM When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead
of RAM, Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB 41943040 is 40MB 52428800 is 50MB - 104857600 is 100MB -->
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Choose what to buffer:
0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
3) No buffer -->
<readbufferfactor>9.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering.
Default value 4.0. -->

BUT can you tell me where you read that the buffer is not used for .iso images? I have just been converting everything to .mkv as they worked much much better, this could be why!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing and ISO over local network buffering0