Kodi is nowhere to be found after install (Win8) FIXED!
So I have been at this for a month now and I am about to give up on this amazing program. I have installed Kodi correctly at least 100 times using various versions and every time regardless of which drive or folder I install it to, it goes as follows.

1. Kodi runs after install perfectly fine, everything is awesome.
2. once I close the program, it is nowhere to be found anywhere on the computer (almost like using a program from a flash drive)
3. searching any file on any drive or folder shows no trace.
4. Reinstall. It says there is a version of Kodi already installed in the previous location (ie. C:\Program Files (x86) ect...) would I like to overwrite? yes. Installs to chose location and rinse repeat.

Keep in mind I have hidden folders turned on. I am running on windows 8. Also there is no issue with the program running after install, its all an issue of being able to find it after the first use.

Another thing to note: Kodi does not show up in the Programs and Features list for windows. This is also unique to Kodi, it has never happend with any other program including ones I have installed after the issue with Kodi.

[FIXED] I fucking fixed it!!!! Hell yeah! So its funny right, I never thought to check anti virus as a possible culprit (with reason, granted pop ups tend to appear when it doesn't like a program, also Kodi was downloaded straight from the official site) Turns out my anti virus was quarantining Kodi into hidden sandbox file (which explains the oddity's of it showing up in the installer) This folder can not be accessed with going directly through the Anti virus as a safety precaution which is why I couldn't find nor access it through the installer. To it, all I had to do is turn off Sandboxing and delete the files through the Anti Virus and reinstall BINGO!!!!! Kodi works like a charm and shows up where it should be. Thank you so much!
I have had no issue with installing Kodi on Windows 7 but have read elswhere that Windows 10 thinks it knows better than the PC owner and uninstalls some applications MS does not like.
So who knows, may be Windows 8 has had some MS update which has back ported such sihtty Windows 10 behaviour Confused
But lets not speculate and start from basics.

What you should first do is complete scan of your PC using some virus/rootkit scanner.
I periodically manually scan my PC for nasties using Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
I also find Microsoft Security Essentials to be OK so try it and perform a full scan of your HDD.
Both tools are free and can be found on Microsofts web site linked above.
So go download it from MS, imstall it and fully scan your PC first from rootkits using MSRT, then MSE.
Don't download these tools from 3rd party sites Angel

Then make sure your PC is fully updated.
But mind you, you should check each update to ensure it wont install undesirable updates on your PC like Windows 10 update nagger.
For this reason, i don't have auto updates on and as such manually check updates each month before selecting which ones to allow.
It's time consuming but atleast i don't have push adverts for Windows 10 or forced update to Windows 10 occuring.

Do note that after the updates, you may end up with Windows 8.1 which is a little better than the initial Windows 8.0 release as it has a sort of start menu.
As such, hopefully you should be able to translate the Windows 7 instructions below to appropriate Windows 8.1 instructions Tongue

Your PC should now be clean and fully updated, so look for any Kodi references within start menu.
Hopefully you can find Kodi "Uninstall" within the start menu (or equivalent), so run it and it should remove Kodi from your system.
If you don't find anything and can't find the Kodi install direcory (and hence the Uninstall.exe within), keep reading.

Open Explorer.exe and ensure you have Folder Options set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" AND ensure you have unselected "Hide protected operating system files".
Then left click on C: drive before entering the string Kodi in the search box.

The search should find Kodi references at places like:
C:\User\"you"\Appdate\Roaming/Kodi
C:\User\"you"\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
and C:\Program Files(x86)\Kodi (unless you were successful in uninstall Kodi earlier).

Delete all these directories from your system.
BE WARNED THAT THIS WILL ALSO DELETE YOUR DATABASE IF YOU HAVE ONE.

You can now open regedt32.exe and left click "Computer" before clicking "Edit" and "Find".
Then enter the text "Kodi" in the Find popup ensuring "Keys", "Values" and "Data" boxes are selected before clicking "Find Next".
After Kodi string is found, press F3 and continue looking.

You should find keys with references to Kodi in a few places.
After getting to the end, you should have a bit of an idea what the system thinks is or is not installed with respect to Kodi.
Repeat the find but this time delete the Kodi Key or Kodi value or Kodi string.
BE WARNED THIS COULD BE A LITTLE RISKY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
DO NOT DELETE KEYS OTEHR THAN Kodi (that is some key other than Kodi in the key name within the left pane of registry editor).
IF IN ANY DOUBT LEAVE THE REGISTRY ALONE.

Now your system should be clean and have no references to Kodi, and hopefully no viruses and no rootkits.

So, download the latest Kodi from the official Kodi site.
Currently its Jarvis 16.1 Tongue
Don't download Kodi from 3rd party sites Angel

Now you can finally install Jarvis by double clicking the file "kodi-16.1-Jarvis.exe" you just downloaded.
Leave everything as default and it will install to C:\Program Files(x86)\Kodi and you should have a start menu item (or Windows 8 equivalent).
After the first Kodi run, it will create C:\User\"you"\Appdate\Roaming\Kodi Nod

And for some extra info, look at the Kodi How-To wiki for Windows.

All this should not take a month to peform unless your system is riddled with rootkits or viruses.

Be methodical and all should work out Nod
I'm a XBMC novice :)
If you want to install Kodi to non default place, it might be more prudent to use 'portable mode', http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
Click the START button and type KODI in to the search. What does it find?

If it finds something, right click and "pin to start" or right click and "Send to" -> "Shortcut on Desktop"

My guess is you are Running Windows 8 in Win 8 Start Menu mode. Try clicking on the DESKTOP tile and look on that side of Windows.

Or just plain get rid of that mess that is Win8 and let it upgrade to Win10. The lesser of two evils.

OR, swap in to DESKTOP mode.
RIGHT CLICK in the middle of the screen
Select NEW from the menu
Select SHORTCUT
Use the BROWSE button to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\KODI\kodi.exe
Give it a name.

And now you have it sorted.

(I am not sure why some people think your PC would be infected. Very bizarre infection if it is removing legitimate applications....)
(2016-06-02, 10:28)skylarking Wrote: I have had no issue with installing Kodi on Windows 7 but have read elswhere that Windows 10 thinks it knows better than the PC owner and uninstalls some applications MS does not like.
So who knows, may be Windows 8 has had some MS update which has back ported such sihtty Windows 10 behaviour Confused
But lets not speculate and start from basics.

What you should first do is complete scan of your PC using some virus/rootkit scanner.
I periodically manually scan my PC for nasties using Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
I also find Microsoft Security Essentials to be OK so try it and perform a full scan of your HDD.
Both tools are free and can be found on Microsofts web site linked above.
So go download it from MS, imstall it and fully scan your PC first from rootkits using MSRT, then MSE.
Don't download these tools from 3rd party sites Angel

Then make sure your PC is fully updated.
But mind you, you should check each update to ensure it wont install undesirable updates on your PC like Windows 10 update nagger.
For this reason, i don't have auto updates on and as such manually check updates each month before selecting which ones to allow.
It's time consuming but atleast i don't have push adverts for Windows 10 or forced update to Windows 10 occuring.

Do note that after the updates, you may end up with Windows 8.1 which is a little better than the initial Windows 8.0 release as it has a sort of start menu.
As such, hopefully you should be able to translate the Windows 7 instructions below to appropriate Windows 8.1 instructions Tongue

Your PC should now be clean and fully updated, so look for any Kodi references within start menu.
Hopefully you can find Kodi "Uninstall" within the start menu (or equivalent), so run it and it should remove Kodi from your system.
If you don't find anything and can't find the Kodi install direcory (and hence the Uninstall.exe within), keep reading.

Open Explorer.exe and ensure you have Folder Options set to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" AND ensure you have unselected "Hide protected operating system files".
Then left click on C: drive before entering the string Kodi in the search box.

The search should find Kodi references at places like:
C:\User\"you"\Appdate\Roaming/Kodi
C:\User\"you"\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
and C:\Program Files(x86)\Kodi (unless you were successful in uninstall Kodi earlier).

Delete all these directories from your system.
BE WARNED THAT THIS WILL ALSO DELETE YOUR DATABASE IF YOU HAVE ONE.

You can now open regedt32.exe and left click "Computer" before clicking "Edit" and "Find".
Then enter the text "Kodi" in the Find popup ensuring "Keys", "Values" and "Data" boxes are selected before clicking "Find Next".
After Kodi string is found, press F3 and continue looking.

You should find keys with references to Kodi in a few places.
After getting to the end, you should have a bit of an idea what the system thinks is or is not installed with respect to Kodi.
Repeat the find but this time delete the Kodi Key or Kodi value or Kodi string.
BE WARNED THIS COULD BE A LITTLE RISKY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
DO NOT DELETE KEYS OTEHR THAN Kodi (that is some key other than Kodi in the key name within the left pane of registry editor).
IF IN ANY DOUBT LEAVE THE REGISTRY ALONE.

Now your system should be clean and have no references to Kodi, and hopefully no viruses and no rootkits.

So, download the latest Kodi from the official Kodi site.
Currently its Jarvis 16.1 Tongue
Don't download Kodi from 3rd party sites Angel

Now you can finally install Jarvis by double clicking the file "kodi-16.1-Jarvis.exe" you just downloaded.
Leave everything as default and it will install to C:\Program Files(x86)\Kodi and you should have a start menu item (or Windows 8 equivalent).
After the first Kodi run, it will create C:\User\"you"\Appdate\Roaming\Kodi Nod

And for some extra info, look at the Kodi How-To wiki for Windows.

All this should not take a month to peform unless your system is riddled with rootkits or viruses.

Be methodical and all should work out Nod

My computer has been completely rid of any possible virus or root kit 3 times in my process. There is absolutely no reference to Kodi on my PC. It is the strangest thing ever. Another weird thing is that a kodi file shows up in the (x86) folder when reinstalling (only on the install, folder select menu) yet when going there, it is nowhere to be found. I mean where the hell could it be? It cant run without being properly installed right? also, my settings on kodi are saved when accessing after the install, so it has to be storing it somewhere. Searching for it on windows search bar shows nothing. Searching my computer shows nothing. Searching each folder shows nothing.
Quote: Searching each folder shows nothing.
They are there, just hidden.
You can unhide hidden files/read only files and directory thru the command prompt.
start/run/cmd
Code:
c:
cd\
cd "program files (x86)"
attrib -h -r -s *.* /s

You might get some permission denied but the files you want to see will be there for you .
(2016-06-03, 01:33)OTinley Wrote:
Quote: Searching each folder shows nothing.
They are there, just hidden.
You can unhide hidden files/read only files and directory thru the command prompt.
start/run/cmd
Code:
c:
cd\
cd "program files (x86)"
attrib -h -r -s *.* /s

You might get some permission denied but the files you want to see will be there for you .

So I am not familiar with script in the slightest. When putting the code you gave, i was prompted with nothing but Access denied folders. I just copy and pasted your code.

Something else I noticed, when Kodi is running after installing it, i tried to access the file location through task manager yet when I click "open file location" nothing opens unlike other programs. (gif of it http://imgur.com/pi4wDOP)
OK try this

start/run/cmd (enter)
At the prompt again:

Code:
cd c:\"program files (x86)\kodi"   (enter)
start .
The above line is Type 'start' space 'dot' (enter)

You are now in the Kodi folder.
(2016-06-03, 03:15)OTinley Wrote: OK try this

start/run/cmd (enter)
At the prompt again:

Code:
cd c:\"program files (x86)\kodi"   (enter)
start .
The above line is Type 'start' space 'dot' (enter)

You are now in the Kodi folder.

No luck http://i.imgur.com/QTCzgvU.jpg

Tried typing it in a couple ways and finally got this to pop up. Showing an unknown file named kfc lol http://i.imgur.com/DSfBnR4.jpg
Please try again, you are in the user folder:
start/run/cmd (enter)
At the prompt again
Code:
cd\ (enter)
cd c:\"program files (x86)" (enter)
dir /A (enter)
What do you see?
start . initiates the folder view from the command prompt.
(2016-06-03, 04:26)OTinley Wrote: Please try again, you are in the user folder:
start/run/cmd (enter)
At the prompt again
Code:
cd\ (enter)
cd c:\"program files (x86)" (enter)
dir /A (enter)
What do you see?
start . initiates the folder view from the command prompt.

So here is what I see on CMD http://i.imgur.com/tnFuuKL.jpg This is what I see on the Kodi installer vs what i can see in the actual folder. http://i.imgur.com/GTjl5hX.jpg

It is a real folder that was created two months ago. Wtf, why can I only acsess it through the installer? Here are the folder details http://i.imgur.com/V7IBWAo.jpg http://i.imgur.com/lPUOC62.jpg
(2016-06-03, 01:07)GataWaya Wrote: My computer has been completely rid of any possible virus or root kit 3 times in my process.
What rootkit and antivirus software did you run?
Did these tools find anything and remove the infections?
Did any infection come back at a later data?
(Rhetorical questions really)

Just note that some rootkits and viruses are very difficult to remove.
In such difficult instances, where infections return, often a complete wipe and reinstall is the most time effective way to resolve such issues.

And when planning to reinstall due to infections, if you want to save your user data, it is best backed up to FAT32 formated external drives rather than NTFS drives.
That's because all sorts of stuff can hide in alternate data streams that NTFS supports and as such viruses can piggy back via your user data ads and as such you may soon have the same problem again!
Stuff can even hide within user inaccessable parts of a HDD and within BIOS windows executable extensions making it very very difficult to have a clean system - yuck!

So it's fair to say it's almost an artform to keep a system updated and clear of viruses.
In other words it's not a trivial task.

I also see that you have "login4me" installed.
Though login4me has legit uses, some scams are perpetuated using sweet talking 'support people' that help you with scary sounding issues on your system.
They get you to install login4me and give them access to your PC.
Then these people can install whatever they like (which virus scanner may mever pick up).
Even using "login4me hamachi" for VPN that can bypass your firewall can expose you to hacking by anyone on the VPN (really do you know and trust all the people that may leark on such VPN's?).

I guess what i am trying to say is that the issues you are experiancing doesn't sound like a Kodi issue at all.
It sounds more like you have some issue with your OS or some other installed application or possibly the way you use your PC (web/vpn gaming habits, etc) and the trust of others that this requires.

So forget about Kodi for a bit and look into such issues first.
(2016-06-03, 01:07)GataWaya Wrote: There is absolutely no reference to Kodi on my PC. It is the strangest thing ever.
As mentioned, I really doubt that this is related to Kodi in any way.
But if you remove all Kodi directories and registry entries as i mentioned in my earlier post, the system will not have Kodi installed (as it will have no reference of it).
Any reinstall from official Kodi download sources will result in a clean install without any popups stating Kodi is already installed.

But in essence you have not followed the steps i have outlined earlier and have not commented individually on the results.
As such i don't know what state your system is in so it's hard to help.

I'd say you should go back to basics and perform a full backup or your system.
Windows 7 comes with "backup and restore" tool that allows you to creat a bootable CD and a backup on another external HDD or DVD/BD, so likely Windows 8 has the same.
Use the Windows 8 backup tool and back up your systems, then test your backup will restore OK.
That way you can't make a mess and have some path back to youer
Only once you have done this, either wipe your HDD clean and reinstall the system using your PC vendor supplied recovery disk OR use the BIOS recovery option (which uses a partition to recover from).
(Only you know what system you bought and what recovery options come with it and thuis which method to use)
FYI, some HP systems come with recovery partitions and some come with recovery disks; so RTFM Tongue

Doing this will allow you to get back to a cleaner OEM system.
Then update your system using MS update and only after that try and install Kodi.
I'd be surprised if Kodi doesn't now work as expected.

Then you can uninstall Kodi and reinstall all your applications before finally installing Kodi.
If Kodi now has the same problem that you had earlier, it's one of those applications that is causing this issue.
(2016-06-02, 06:20)GataWaya Wrote: So I have been at this for a month now ... I have installed Kodi correctly at least 100 times using various versions and every time regardless of which drive or folder I install it to... searching any file on any drive or folder shows no trace... Kodi does not show up in the Programs and Features list for windows. This is also unique to Kodi...
As a final note, if you installed and reinstalled Kodi 100 times, the old saying that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" comes to mind.
Maybe you should have tried installing another applciation and see if this also has such issues (in which case you will confirm for yourself that this is not a Kodi issue) Big Grin

So it may be time to take another approach Nod
(2016-06-02, 20:53)BatterPudding Wrote: (I am not sure why some people think your PC would be infected. Very bizarre infection if it is removing legitimate applications....)
An Operating System is determanistic so when one get application behaviour outside the norm, expect that something is not as it should be.
Whenever one get odd behaviour, it can only be either an application fault, an underlying OS fault or some virus.

Since it would be very bizarre if Kodi is killing it's own install directory, this would leave an OS issue or a virus issue.
Ive not read any other posts about a vanishing Kodi directory, i'd rule Kodi out as the cause.

Since it's bizarre to expect the OS to be removing an application, that only leaves a virus.
And some viruses can be very difficult to find and remove Sad

However there are reports here, here and here that Microsoft is removing applications from Windows 10. Question is, does that make W10 a virus?

The OP seems to be fixated on a Kodi fault.
He has not stated what tools he has used to scan for rootkits or viruses, nor what the results were from such scans.
He has only stated he is completely rid of rootkits and viruses as has scanned 3 times (implying something was found?).

Still, the cause may not be a virus but KB890830 (Malicous Software Removal Tool) is not difficult to run (though it does take time).
And everybody should have an antivirus solution running on their PC and periodically they should do a full manual scan.
I suggested MSE which is free and OK, but no antivirus tool is 100%.

Maybe it's not a virus, maybe it's MS backporting their shitty W10 attitude to W8?
I don't know, but when odd stuff happens, a system cleanup/reinstall is not a bad approach (and it forces people to be more aware of what data is important to them).

As for your suggestion of getting W10 into the desktop mode, that's a good idea.
The thought of migrating to W10 with such MS behaviour occuring on this OS version (if it's true) - not so Tongue
(2016-06-03, 09:36)skylarking Wrote:
(2016-06-02, 20:53)BatterPudding Wrote: (I am not sure why some people think your PC would be infected. Very bizarre infection if it is removing legitimate applications....)
An Operating System is determanistic so when one get application behaviour outside the norm, expect that something is not as it should be.
Whenever one get odd behaviour, it can only be either an application fault, an underlying OS fault or some virus.

Since it would be very bizarre if Kodi is killing it's own install directory, this would leave an OS issue or a virus issue.
Ive not read any other posts about a vanishing Kodi directory, i'd rule Kodi out as the cause.

Since it's bizarre to expect the OS to be removing an application, that only leaves a virus.
And some viruses can be very difficult to find and remove Sad

However there are reports here, here and here that Microsoft is removing applications from Windows 10. Question is, does that make W10 a virus?

The OP seems to be fixated on a Kodi fault.
He has not stated what tools he has used to scan for rootkits or viruses, nor what the results were from such scans.
He has only stated he is completely rid of rootkits and viruses as has scanned 3 times (implying something was found?).

Still, the cause may not be a virus but KB890830 (Malicous Software Removal Tool) is not difficult to run (though it does take time).
And everybody should have an antivirus solution running on their PC and periodically they should do a full manual scan.
I suggested MSE which is free and OK, but no antivirus tool is 100%.

Maybe it's not a virus, maybe it's MS backporting their shitty W10 attitude to W8?
I don't know, but when odd stuff happens, a system cleanup/reinstall is not a bad approach (and it forces people to be more aware of what data is important to them).

As for your suggestion of getting W10 into the desktop mode, that's a good idea.
The thought of migrating to W10 with such MS behaviour occuring on this OS version (if it's true) - not so Tongue

I fucking fixed it!!!! Hell yeah! So its funny right, I never thought to check anti virus as a possible culprit (with reason, granted pop ups tend to appear when it doesn't like a program, also Kodi was downloaded straight from the official site) Turns out my anti virus was quarantining Kodi into hidden sandbox file (which explains the oddity's of it showing up in the installer) This folder can not be accessed with going directly through the Anti virus as a safety precaution which is why I couldn't find nor access it through the installer. To it, all I had to do is turn off Sandboxing and delete the files through the Anti Virus and reinstall BINGO!!!!! Kodi works like a charm and shows up where it should be. Thank you so much! I know you didnt exactly how the fix for my issue but your insensate to check for infections had me running all my software and checking it for anything nasty, which is where I saw Kodi haha. Why it sandboxed Kodi? Idk but Im glade this shit is over haha.
Glad it's sorted.

So what antivirus software are you using which was causing this?
What sort of malicious behaviour did your antivirus think Kodi was going?

Maybe you could also notify your antivirus software vendor that they have a false positive with Kodi and this has caused you much waisted time and some angst.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi is nowhere to be found after install (Win8) FIXED!1