• 1(current)
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes
Lightbulb 
Embedded Entertainment ROM

EmbER (short for "Embedded Entertainment ROM") is a JeOS Linux distribution based on Buildroot with the primary goal of providing a streamlined, completely optimised Pure Linux implementation of Kodi to Amlogic devices. (see below for a list of currently supported devices).

This thread is for Announcements, Discussion and General Support for the firmware on all supported devices.
As with the rest of this forum, no add-ons will be discussed here.
EmbER is a pure vanilla Kodi firmware, designed as an alternative to android, that does not support third party add-ons.

For all downloads, please use the direct links here: http://ember-dev.com/downloads.

Currently supported hardware:
Amlogic MX/M6 Devices
- Geniatech ATV400
- Geniatech ATV1200
- Matricom G-box MX2
- Generic MX2
- CMX (Clone MX2 devices)
- U6D
- TLBB v2 (that second round of shocking hardware with no firmware support)

Amlogic M8 Devices
- MXQ M12
- MXQ HD18Q (almost complete. See below for test releases)

Current firmware version:
EmbER V4.0.0 (Kodi 16.1, Jarvis)

Testing beta firmware downloads:
MXQ - HD18Q SD Card Installer Image (EmbER v4.0.1~beta2) - MD5 = 80ad01fc5224d43b569aa0f11f2b84c5
MXQ - HD18Q SD Card Update Files (EmbER v4.0.1~beta2) - MD5 = 89e446048ab0d119d088f85e41b225e7
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

SD Card Install:

Tools needed:
Install to new SD Card:
  1. Download the "Installer Image" for your device.
  2. Use Winrar to extract the image file.
  3. Open Win32 Disk Imager and select the extracted disk image.
  4. Insert your SD Card into your PC.
  5. Under "Device" on Win32 Disk Imager, select the SD Card drive letter.
  6. Click "Write". Warning, this will nuke your SD Card and all data will be lost!
  7. You will now have a SD Card that will boot EmbER on your device. Eject it and have fun!
Note:
The first time you boot ember from an sd card, you will need to power on your device while holding the reset button.
After this first boot this step is not required.

Update an EmbER SD Card:
  1. Download the "Update Image" for your device.
  2. Insert your SD Card into your PC.
  3. Use Winrar to extract the contents of the downloaded "Update Image" to your SD Card.
  4. Eject the SD Card and return it to your device...

WARNING:
Please do not assume you understand how this firmware's installation process works based upon previous experiences with other firmware providers or even past EmbER releases. Complacency in not following these instructions is a good way to end up with a broken installation or even a bricked box. It is important that you re-read and follow these instructions every time you manually (re)install Embedded Entertainment ROM. You have been warned.
Consider our forum rules before continuing: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

From what I see you have two possibilities: Either remove the fusion installer from your basic setup or this has to be moved into trash. Also make 100% sure that you tell people that you are shipping a non supported out of date kodi version 15.2 with non upstream custom patches.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fusion installer is not in our firmware. We admit that in our very first build of XBMC Gotham it was added. But that was a mistake and it has been now removed. Download it for yourself if you do not believe me.
Our firmware does not come with any addons pre installed. Only a "system settings" add-on which I know is allowed because no one complains about openelec's system settings add-on.

The older amlogic m6 devices are just receiving their Kodi 16.1 updates this week. We have had a hard few months with them trying to get them to the newer 3.10 Linux kernel. Because of inconveniences and the potential for many people to brick their devices, we have again decided it is best to not run with the kernel update and to just release the Kodi update on the old system. This delay was with the best intentions, and we always try our best to keep our supported devices up to date with the latest kodi releases.

Sent from my LG-F320
More over, to add to your own point (and obviously the point of every other moderator that keeps deleting my forum posts), This new thread I am creating is in your best interest. It is other people re-hosting our files that have the older firmware images. I have no control over that.
So this is one of the reason why I create my one thread for our firmware...
This new thread only points to our latest builds (the ones with a pure vanilla Kodi experience). No one who comes to this thread will be directed to a firmware that contains third party addons
I want to add that I install EmbER Linux firmware to my KODI boxes removing the bloatware of Android. Apart from in the now well obsolete EmbER V1, which has long been removed, I can confirm that there are NO, repeat NO links or any other adverts or encouragement to install any third party add-ons. Ember installs over Android to a pucker clean vanilla KODI install. After that, like with Windows OS on a PC or Android on these KODI boxes, then it is up to each user as to what add-ons he installs or not, and that is clearly NOTHING TO DO WITH EMBER DEVELOPMENTS as they are playing firmly by the rules here. .

I can strongly recommend all users of Android boxes to change their firmware to the Linux based EmbER firmware for all those boxes which are compatible and listed on the EmbER downloads page. You will find that KODI runs so much better and smoother running from the far more efficient Linux kernel as EmbER firmware is purely built to run KODI and nothing else.

It is totally inappropriate and unfair to delete posts made in this forum by Ember Developments and indeed by Josh.5 as one of their senior and respected developers.!! EmbER are doing a great service in promoting KODI and making it run even better for grateful users out there.
Cheers
Raymw
Quote:It is totally inappropriate and unfair to delete posts made in this forum by Ember Developments and indeed by Josh.5 as one of their senior and respected developers.!! EmbER are doing a great service in promoting KODI and making it run even better for grateful users out there.

Posts are deleted based on rules not on day of the week or kilograms after having a shower. Stick to the rules and all is fine. I asked our public relation / copyrigh / GPL / etc. experts to have a look.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
is https://github.com/EmbER-Dev/EmbER/branches really your development repo as pointed to by your website?
If yes then I wonder why it was last updated >1 year ago.
They have a private repo: https://gitlab.com/ember-dev/EmbER
Hi all.
Using Ember 4.0 on M12 box. Twice now on boot I've had it hang at the KODI logo after the Jarvis screen. It will do this every time I reboot. The only thing I've found that works is to hold the reset button in and get to TV EmbER boot screen and pick reboot.
I'm not sure if it's a skin issue or an EmbER issue. I'm using the xonfluence skin.
Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone
This is not an issue I have heard of specifically for the firmware release. But I have seen circumstances like this in the past where the guisettings prevent Kodi from starting, whether it be looking for a skin that is not installed, or the skin that is installed is failing to load for some reason. Could you please try changing the skin to see if the problem persists. Otherwise, if you are not bothered resetting up Kodi, I'd recommend restarting building Kodi Jarvis from scratch (factory reset in the system settings).

I have just about finished the server side of our new "log uploader" add-on. It will be added to the ember repository in the next few days (possibly even later on today if I can finish this new mxq build). I'll send you a message once it is so you can submit your device's logs for further analysis.

Sent from my LG-F320
Please link to the source code that is used to build your firmware. kodi is GPL.
Sure thing. Here is the Kodi source: https://gitlab.com/ember-dev/kodi

As you can see, it contains everything up-to-date with our current aml patches for Kodi 16.1

Sent from my LG-F320
I've just added a DL link to the first lot of MXQ firmware pn the first post of this thread.
This new firmware is for MXQ with NAND Flash storage only. It will not boot emmc at this time.

Hit me up if you find any bugs.

Things I already know about:
- Remote is configured for the newer/smaller MXQ remote, not the one that came with the original MX2 boxes.
- Blue light stays on during standby
(2016-06-13, 12:41)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:It is totally inappropriate and unfair to delete posts made in this forum by Ember Developments and indeed by Josh.5 as one of their senior and respected developers.!! EmbER are doing a great service in promoting KODI and making it run even better for grateful users out there.

Posts are deleted based on rules not on day of the week or kilograms after having a shower. Stick to the rules and all is fine. I asked our public relation / copyrigh / GPL / etc. experts to have a look.

Of course I appreciate that. But my point was that I cannot see how EmbER are breaking any rules here, and if remotely so that was only with the long past EmbER V1 which has been withdrawn back last year I understand. I appreciate KODI has to keep vanilla clean of course, as do EmbER, and they indeed both do so, Anything that could be deemed to be legally dodgy is of course left to other third party organisations who write and promote their own add-ons, same as on a PC or Android OS, and is thus a totally separate issue. However I have to honestly say that, like Windows and Android platforms, of course such third party apps/add-ons do make the platform far more popular than it otherwise would be and that is purely fact, not conjecture. So it is far from killing KODI, as has been implied, but in fact the complete opposite if you look at the hard facts. But that is all totally down to each individual user and nobody can pass any blame onto the Kodi organisation for such activity that may be deemed illegal on copyright grounds.

So my advice, for the little it is worth, is for KODI to stay out of such third party add-on issues and just keep to their forum rules here and spend their valuable time keeping up the excellent work that we all appreciate so very much. Much like Microsoft, Apple and Google they all just concentrate on their legal vanilla firmware and stay out of third party legality issues.

Hope you do not mind this post but it is just my honest two cents worth.and all meant with the very best intentions and well wishes to KODI :-)
Cheers
Raymw
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes0