Check network status more than just at startup
I'm running the latest CVS version of XBMC here (of course). My XBOX uses a wireless-bridge to connect to my LAN (& internet). The problem is that it seems that XBMC only checks its network status during startup. It often happens that my wireless bridge is not powered yet (to save $$$ Wink) when XBMC is started. In practice this means that when my wireless bridge was power on later than my XBox (with XBMC), the network can never be used -> XBMC simply keeps saying "network disconnected", it does say (however) "10/100 link up". I have to power down XBMC and power it up again to make the network finally work. I've tried it with both static & DHCP IP, and both suffer from this problem. I think XBMC should re-enable the network as soon as the ethernet link is up.

I hope this can be fixed?...

Note that other dashes (like Avalaunch or Exov) don't seem to suffer from this problem.
Not a bug, it has always worked like that (by design), so moving to the feature suggestion forum.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i can second this request. restarting the network could come in handy sometimes. not a major thing to reset the xbox, but just for the sake of it Smile
Is an XBMC restart so hard? It takes like 2 seconds...

I also worry that having XBMC to check network sources more then on start up may cause other problems (like if you are in the middle of watching something you may get a stutter in your movie, etc). Just worried about the limited RAM XBMC already has and I feel its a bit bloated already but thats just my opinion...
Typhoid Mary Wrote:Is an XBMC restart so hard? It takes like 2 seconds...

I also worry that having XBMC to check network sources more then on start up may cause other problems (like if you are in the middle of watching something you may get a stutter in your movie, etc). Just worried about the limited RAM XBMC already has and I feel its a bit bloated already but thats just my opinion...

Well, I'm quite lazy and it is simply handy if it would be possible. I agree that XBMC shouldn't do this while ie. playing a movie. But other suggestions I have on this topic are:
- Let it only check its network status when in the main dash/menu;
or
- Let it only check its network status when in the system panel and/or the system information pane (and only when it says "Network disconnected);
or
- Add a (ie.) button in the system panel to "refresh" the network status.

I hope you like my suggestions...
I do like the refresh button Smile

The others I like as well but I love buttons Smile
While running in debug mode I also noticed this when I enabled my wireless bridge (which is connected to my xbox):
Code:
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - Link: full duplex
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - Link: 100 mbps
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - State: ethernet
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - State: error
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - ip:
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - subnet:
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - gateway:
20:12:34 M: 25034752    INFO: CNetwork::LogState - dns: ,
As XBMC is certainly detecting/logging the plugin of the network cable, can't XBMC also simply reinitialize the IP settings at this point (so we get get a possibly working connection from that point)?
technically it should (as i wrote it to handle that). but haven't tested it thaat much. i've seen it crash with webserver or ftpserver enabled thou. they don't play nice sometimes.

there aught to be more info later about network going up again.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Check network status more than just at startup0