[split] AFTV vs Shield
Can MrMC do Atmos on AFTV? I don't think Fire TV 2 supports does it? SPMC rules, I have 7.2.2 atmos working wonderfully. I just hope Nvidia gets the next firmware update right. Koying rules! Thank you Koying!

Really the only problem I am having still (using the test build posted in this thread a week or so ago) is refresh rate adjusting automatically, but I think that's also a combination of my HDCP 2.2 AVR HDMI passthrough (Denon x4200) and the latest Nvidia update not communicating well . For now I just run the Shield at 100% 24p and it seems to be working well enough though auto refresh rate adjusting would be awesome.

I was considering just building a dedicated htpc box for my higher end needs (high resolution streaming, live tv through HDHomerun without judder, atmos audio) but I'd much prefer to run it all off this little Nvidia Shield if I can. I really think SPMC is close to perfect, if only this refresh rate thing gets worked out and Nvidia's next update fixes what this one broke.
The Nvidia shield does support passthrough for the more exotic audio formats like atmos but lacks in other areas. For example, it does not have Amazon Prime. In general when picking a device, trying to hit 'perfection' and 'future proof' is a pipe dream. Users should get the box that meets their needs.

Side Note: MrMC fork really tried to get Nvidia involved but they refused to answer emails... Their loss Smile MrMC only gets involved with devices where we can communicate to the device developers. With Amazon, we have a direct pipe-line to them so things like atmos passthrough support might appear in future fireOS versions.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-08-04, 15:48)MrMC Wrote: The Nvidia shield does support passthrough for the more exotic audio formats like atmos but lacks in other areas. For example, it does not have Amazon Prime. In general when picking a device, trying to hit 'perfection' and 'future proof' is a pipe dream. Users should get the box that meets their needs.

Side Note: MrMC fork really tried to get Nvidia involved but they refused to answer emails... Their loss Smile MrMC only gets involved with devices where we can communicate to the device developers. With Amazon, we have a direct pipe-line to them so things like atmos passthrough support might appear in future fireOS versions.
You can sideload the Amazon Prime sony android tv apps now, they work really well.

Shame there was no response from nvidia, was really hoping MrMC would make an appearance on the shield.
Yeah I have the Amazon Prime app sideloaded, and it works like the other Android TV apps and not like the old method of the crappy phone app.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2016-08-04, 15:48)MrMC Wrote: The Nvidia shield does support passthrough for the more exotic audio formats like atmos but lacks in other areas. For example, it does not have Amazon Prime. In general when picking a device, trying to hit 'perfection' and 'future proof' is a pipe dream. Users should get the box that meets their needs.

The Fire is also half the price of the Shield and bundles an excellent controller. It's the closest we've had yet to a plug and play Kodi box. Speaking of which you might consider rejigging your Kodi default keymapping given almost everyone using it has the same remote.

No, there is no Amazon Prime app specifically for the Shield, but you can sideload the Sony TV (Android TV) app and it does work, though only for up to 1080p and limited to 2 channel audio. But besides that, once sideloaded it installs and works just like any other Android TV app.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...g-mostly-/
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-08-05, 02:11)Tinwarble Wrote:

No, there is no Amazon Prime app specifically for the Shield, but you can sideload the Sony TV (Android TV) app and it does work, though only for up to 1080p and limited to 2 channel audio. But besides that, once sideloaded it installs and works just like any other Android TV app.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...g-mostly-/

If you're willing to stump up for Amazon Prime content then definitely get the Fire so you can enjoy it as intended. As with iTunes and Apple TV.

The Shield falls between all the cracks. It's a better gaming device than anything else on Android, but that's faint praise. If gaming's your priority, you're on the wrong platform.

The only thing the Shield offers over the Fire TV, that I can see, is out of the box support for NTFS USB3 drives.
(2016-08-05, 04:57)Meatus Wrote: If you're willing to stump up for Amazon Prime content then definitely get the Fire so you can enjoy it as intended. As with iTunes and Apple TV.

The Shield falls between all the cracks. It's a better gaming device than anything else on Android, but that's faint praise. If gaming's your priority, you're on the wrong platform.

The only thing the Shield offers over the Fire TV, that I can see, is out of the box support for NTFS USB3 drives.

Well, I have a FireTV, 2, & Stick and I wouldn't take 3 of them for my Shield. I don't care about Amazon Prime, cancelled my membership about 6 months ago, but for those with the Shield and don't want to take a step down to the AFTV, the Prime app from Sony Android TVs will work. Plus, I have it good authority that Nvidia is working to bring the Prime app to the Shield natively, just like they did with Vudu.

Doesn't the AFTV only support 4K up to 30FPS? Does it support HDR? Does the it support Live TV integration from multiple sources natively? Will the AFTV get a Android Nougat update once it's released? The Shield will and there are several new API specific additions for better media playback that will come with "N". Can the AFTV not only be a media client but also act as a Plex Server? Can you dual boot the AFTV from a USB drive? The Shield can now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsrqg7EqktU

And I'm not really a gamer, but I have had a lot of fun playing Borderlands 2 and TPS natively on the Shield, something else you can't do on the AFTV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
While you are popping out questions, you might also ask, will kodi devs ever find an android maintainer to add all those new APIs when they appear ?

Don't get me wrong, the NVidia Shield is a nice device and they seem to be doing the right thing. But not any device fit all shoes. Users have wildly different needs, I've been doing this long enough to not try to out guess them Smile

I personally like the fireTV2 because a) it works well, b) priced right c) has netflixs and prime out of the box and most important d) my wife has no problem using it without me driving.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-08-05, 05:50)Tinwarble Wrote: Does the it support Live TV integration from multiple sources natively?
When and if Hardware deinterlacing, you know actually works reliably on the Shield Wink

(2016-08-05, 06:12)MrMC Wrote: While you are popping out questions, you might also ask, will kodi devs ever find an android maintainer to add all those new APIs when they appear ?

Don't get me wrong, the NVidia Shield is a nice device and they seem to be doing the right thing. But not any device fit all shoes. Users have wildly different needs, I've been doing this long enough to not try to out guess them Smile

I personally like the fireTV2 because a) it works well, b) priced right c) has netflixs and prime out of the box and most important d) my wife has no problem using it without me driving.

That I don't know if Kodi ever will, but I was under the impression that somethings like support for ENCODING_IEC61937 was already in Kodi 17, or maybe I missed something in translation.

And I'm not saying that everyone needs or should have a Shield, but when someone says that it doesn't offer anything over the AFTV, well, I feel that just requires a rebuttal. I like the AFTV's even my stick, they are great for what they are and I have nothing against them, but I would still not have them over my SATV(s).

As for the WAF, as brilliant as mine is, she is a techno-idiot and she's able to operate them (after me spending some time teaching her, but was the same for the AFTV when I used them as daily drivers) with no problems. Though, truthfully all she really needs to know is how to work Netflix since that's where she spends most of her time.Wink

SIDE NOTE: If you don't mind, I'm going to push what you said about not being able to get someone to contact you up to my contact(s) over at Nvidia.

(2016-08-05, 06:14)wrxtasy Wrote: [When and if Hardware deinterlacing, you know actually works reliably on the Shield Wink

Yes, wrstaxy, as you know this is broken currently (3.2). But is being worked on, as well as some other bug fixes and will be fixed in the next update.

But if you expect to a device that doesn't have bugs or doesn't have them introduced in a update, then you're in the wrong business. Blush
(2016-08-05, 09:35)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 19:51)tredman Wrote:

You can sideload the Amazon Prime sony android tv apps now, they work really well.

Shame there was no response from nvidia, was really hoping MrMC would make an appearance on the shield.
Does that app support 4k playback?
Not at this time.
(2016-08-05, 05:50)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 04:57)Meatus Wrote: If you're willing to stump up for Amazon Prime content then definitely get the Fire so you can enjoy it as intended. As with iTunes and Apple TV.

Doesn't the AFTV only support 4K up to 30FPS? Does it support HDR? Does the it support Live TV integration from multiple sources natively? Will the AFTV get a Android Nougat update once it's released? The Shield will and there are several new API specific additions for better media playback that will come with "N". Can the AFTV not only be a media client but also act as a Plex Server? Can you dual boot the AFTV from a USB drive? The Shield can now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsrqg7EqktU

Nothing anyone wants.
(2016-08-05, 10:24)Meatus Wrote: Nothing anyone wants.

Sooooooo.....translation, my box doesn't do those things so nobody must want it.

I hope that your boat doesn't have any leaks because it takes a long time to get to shore when your trolling.
Main reason I switched from AFTV to the Shield was the 16GB. AFTV had so little storage, I had to shrink all of my jpg's down to ugly, low resolution files so it wouldn't run out of space. I think the AFTV's remote > the Shield remote. I hate how Nvidia cheaped out on the buttons. Having to long press is dumb for a remote that costs $50.

Love that the Shield has built in SMB server now.

For me, all the USB ports wins it for the Shield, even though I'm not using them. My cousin is though. She doesn't have a media server like I do, so I helped her setup 3 x 5TB drives, we bought a USB 3.0 hub and it's working great! She's running everything locally.

I do wish that Amazon had a Prime Video app for the Shield. Anyone get that working, yet? It's the only reason why I have sold my old AFTV box.

Shield gets ~90% use, AFTV 10%.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] AFTV vs Shield1