• 5(current)
XBMC for Linux success stories :)
Topfs2 Wrote:Trying to get rid of both OpenBox and the GDM but having problem with autologin without gdm.
mingetty is your friend for this, install it and configure tty1 to autologin as your user; as a reference, this is what I have used in /etc/event.d/tty1 in my LiveXBMC:

exec /sbin/mingetty --noclear --autologin xbmc tty1

Cheers

Luigi
been a long time user of xbmc on my xbox, and finally decided its time to move to HD so I thru together a cheap HTPC and loaded up ubuntu.

Specs:

Opteron 144 @ 2.4ghz
1.25gb Ram
Nvidia 6100 based MB
AV710 Soundcard

the interface seems to work fine, had some issues with slowness at first but got the latest nvidia drivers and that cleared up that issue. but the lingering issue I seem to have is that audio/video seem to be running in slowmo like 80% or something. can't figure it out. anyone have any experience with this issue?
can't figure out why I can't edit the above post but forgot to add an issue, might be more related to the linux system itself than a XBMC issue but I seem to be having issues streaming files that were no problem when the box was running windows (constant buffers on 720p stuff)
I started playing with this this morning and got most it working ok. Have a few issues:

making it run fullscreen. the -fs switch doesn't work, and it reverts back to windowed after a video finishes.
Getting emulators to run.
Occasional crashes here and there.
First run had silly CPU usage in the menu. though it appears to have evened out now.
Probably a few other things that I haven't noticed yet.

I put most of these down to still being in development, though.

I got the remote working fine, and the whole thing is pulling images, videos and music from a NAS on my network.

When playing a video, I get around 20-30% CPU. In the menu it is a little higher. FPS for videos is correct (24-30fps). Menu is 100+.

I'm running on an Athlon64 3000+ and an ATI 9800 pro.

Congrats to the developers. I shall continue to search for solutions to the issues above, if there are any.
Fireboy Wrote:making it run fullscreen. the -fs switch doesn't work, and it reverts back to windowed after a video finishes.
You can try go into System -> Appearence -> Screen and set the resolution to your screens fullscreen. that works for me, The auto resolution is still a bit jiffy.

Fireboy Wrote:When playing a video, I get around 20-30% CPU. In the menu it is a little higher. FPS for videos is correct (24-30fps). Menu is 100+.
100% in menu is normal if you don't have vsync on because then it will render it as fast as it possibly can, wich leads to high CPU usage
Topfs2 Wrote:You can try go into System -> Appearence -> Screen and set the resolution to your screens fullscreen. that works for me, The auto resolution is still a bit jiffy.

Oh right. I thought it was me being an idiot. I'll try that then.

Topfs2 Wrote:100% in menu is normal if you don't have vsync on because then it will render it as fast as it possibly can, wich leads to high CPU usage

The CPU usage did even out to 30-40% is after my first run. But I think I may have turned on vsync during my first use.

All in all, though, it is very good and usable in its current state.
just to let you know, setting up the resolution sorted the fullscreen problem.
Took an old Athlon XP 200 system with onboard graphics/sound/lan. Loaded Ubuntu 7.10, followed the instructions for XBMC compile. To my surprise, it worked first try. It plays XVIDs fine but seems to run at about 80% speed on X264 content. I chalk it up to CPU/GPU being too slow. But for right now, it's seems to be at least as capable as my soft-moded XBox.

Now I'm working an a P4 3.0 Ghz platform on a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H with onboard HDMI and HD Sound. Currently it's running Vista Ultimate MCE but I've installed a second drive just to test XBMC Linux. So far, I've got all the drivers working in Ubuntu but after a compile with no errors, when I launch XboxMediaCenter all I get is a black screen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith
This is something weird, i got XBMC working just fine on my USB hard drive Ubuntu install, but yesterday i installed Ubuntu on my 4 gig i bought USB stick (so i can travel with it, and XBMC) and for some reason i did the same steps in the process, but on my USB stick install (which to my computer is just seen as a hard drive.) when i try to run, it says something like "XBMC_HOME not defined" and in the XBMC window is all black and have to 'Kill Process' just to quite XBMC.
I tried different things like "# XBMC_HOME=/HOME/XBMC/" and "# XBMC_HOME=/HOME/XBMC/BUILD/" (as i realized Build.sh is much easier to update/make and all in one command, verses doing updating commands, then make. But i do have it working perfectly on my usb hard drive external, i'm just having this problem on my usb key stick. I think a few weeks ago i had the same issue on my usb hard drive at first though as well, but don't remember what i did to fix that. Anyone please? Thanks guys.
keithskaggs Wrote:Took an old Athlon XP 200 system with onboard graphics/sound/lan. Loaded Ubuntu 7.10, followed the instructions for XBMC compile. To my surprise, it worked first try. It plays XVIDs fine but seems to run at about 80% speed on X264 content. I chalk it up to CPU/GPU being too slow. But for right now, it's seems to be at least as capable as my soft-moded XBox.

Now I'm working an a P4 3.0 Ghz platform on a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H with onboard HDMI and HD Sound. Currently it's running Vista Ultimate MCE but I've installed a second drive just to test XBMC Linux. So far, I've got all the drivers working in Ubuntu but after a compile with no errors, when I launch XboxMediaCenter all I get is a black screen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith

look at the log, and post it here... there are some topics about a blackscreen.. mostly i think it's the GFX-Card not properly installed.. so no HW-Acceleration
Motherboard: some nforce board I got for near free
CPU: AMD64-3500
RAM: 2048
GPU: Geforce 7600GS

Nvidia Driver: 169.09

Had to change the Makefile to add -logg -lvorbis becuase of the way Gentoo splits the libraries up. Not had any luck with Wii Remote, due to a problem with a subroutine (still fiddling with it).

DVD = 0.33% cpu load
720 mkv = 25% cpu

1080 not possible due to old TV LCD Smile
Kirth Wrote:Had to change the Makefile to add -logg -lvorbis becuase of the way Gentoo splits the libraries up. Not had any luck with Wii Remote, due to a problem with a subroutine (still fiddling with it).
If your running gentoo you are probably running the latest cwiid version? then you need to uncomment (put "//" infront of) line 40 in XBMC/guilib/common/WiiRemote.h and it should, hopefully, compile on the newer cwiid. newer is 0.6.0.0 and old is 0.5.0.3
This goes for fiesty users to who need to compile from source.
This should be taken care of in configure but it isn't added there yet.

Good luck
Got it working on my kids htpc, a P4 1,8 Ghz, Geforce FX 5200, TV-out to a 32" thick-TV, MCE Remote...
SD material is good but HD is nogo, but that's to be expected, and the kids don't need HD yet Smile
Xubuntu 7.10 with autologin and XBMC autostart...
Works one helluva lot better and quicker than WindowsMCE + mymovies.

Thank's Team XBMC and the users here on the forum!!
I have it all up and running on a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI using the onboard video card and HDMI connector. The box has 2gb of RAM and an C2D E6600.

My TV supports 720p, and I have been watching Apple HD trailers 1080p without a drama!

I have documented every step I have taken, software I have installed and little scripts that make it work. All the documentation is here - http://ezhtpc.blogspot.com/

Just to comment, the XBMC Linux port is so great, and I am so impressed with it. Sure it takes a little bit of messing around to get going, but I couldn't be happier. There's just a few files that make it crash for whatever reason but its a small price to pay for such an awesome Media Centre option.

A big thanks to the developers of this software and also the users of this forum that have provided me with lots of reading material, tips and tricks. Hopefully someone can get something out of my blog also to make their use/installation of XBMC easy!
great work Spite. Excellent blog which will hopefully ease the process for some other early adopters. Hope to see it updated as you discover new tricks.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux success stories :)1