• 9(current)
XBMC for Linux success stories :)
JeffElkins Wrote:[snip] After trying OSXBMC I decided to try Linux XBMC in my office and was immediately sold.[snip]

So, in what ways are the Linux and OSXBMC different? Why do you prefer the Linux version?
Neil Wrote:So, in what ways are the Linux and OSXBMC different? Why do you prefer the Linux version?

The remote is the main differentiator for me. The Apple remote is perfectly suitable for Front Row...but XBMC is so feature-rich that I found that the six-button remote didn't cut it. I had to keep a wireless keyboard handy as well. With Linux, I merely plugged in a msusb remote and had no more need for a keyboard.
N1ckR Wrote:
althekiller Wrote:Quite. Why add the overhead of an OS when it already runs natively?
Would there be any added overhead ?
Yes, Linux on the Xbox is a lot of overhead, ...plus the fact there I do not think there are OpenGL drivers for Linux on the old Xbox and if so the discussion is moot anyway (as XBMC currently requires at least OpenGL 1.5 hardware accelerated GPU and drivers that support that). If you insist on trying then just try install Linux on your Xbox then try to play the same videos in MPlayer there as you play with XBMC nativly on the Xbox, check the frame-rate.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thnx to all who have worked on this project both on xbox and on linux
U make my viewing experience a pleasure.

I got it working thnx to guides of rrambo and cornbell on this forum and a guide on http://ezhtpc.blogspot.com/

XBMC from svn
Ubuntu 7.10 server
Xorg and latest ATI drivers (manual install)

On a
GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
Athlon 64 X2 4850E cpu
plus Remote / Receiver MCE 2005

HDMI: OK
Optical out: OK
720p: OK
1080p: no go (20fps max)

Al works fine except for some screen tearing and no 1080p that will require a cpu upgrade or better ATI drivers.

THNX for my viewing pleasure Big Grin
I got the same board and CPU 780g chipset and 4850e. 1080p works perfectly fine here. no issues at all. though i haven't hooked the box up to a tv yet, but i doubt that this should make any difference.
I can use the onboard ati or my pcie 8500gt, both play 1080p stutter free.

boba
Thanks to all the dev for this great app.
running XBMC Live USB
on

Asus Essentio CS5110 Linky
E8300 intel
2 GB Ram
8600M GT Video

720 no problem
Seems to play all 1080 (at least the ones I have)
HDMI no problem
Digital audio no problem
Remote still working on it

Life is good Nod
Cheers
treefour
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
Smile 
Didn't see this config listed here, so:

Hardware: AppleTV 40Gig
Distribution: Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
CPU: 1.0GHz Intel Pentium M-based "Crofton" CPU
RAM: 256 MB DDR2-667
HD: 40 Gig
Video: NVidia GeForce Go 7300 / G72
Audio: Realtek ALC885 7.1+2 Channel High Definition Audio Codec

Pros: Silent. Tiny. Geared for HTPC out of the box, hack to install linux isn't too hard to accomplish these days. Currently refurb 40Gig unit straight from apple is $200.

Cons: Optical out seems to only be stereo for now (looks like a driver issue). No optical drive by default, six button remote. Theme doesn't lend itself well to included remote. Noone knows yet how to get the led on the front to stop blinking orange.

I've been trying to build the perfect silent HTPC for years now and I finally found a combination that works. The install wasn't easy, but it wasn't crazy hard either. Scott D Avila has done a FANTASTIC job with atv-bootloader to the point that you can basically run off a USB drive until you've got the config to where you want it before overwriting the internal drive (assuming you wanna go that far). Anyone familiar with linux can accomplish the task, and even some of those without. The back of this thing is HDMI + Component (+ Composite too, though it isn't readily visible), audio is stereo RCA + optical s/pdif, network is ethernet (or wireless internally). The thing has IR in the front too. All hardware is supported by linux.

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader

As far as XBMC goes, it's fantastic. It runs without really any glitches. I convert my DVD's to MKV's with ogmrip (h.264 @ 1440 kbs, AAC for the audio) and they play phenomenally well on the box. According to most people who've tested video with mplayer on the thing, it should handle up to 1080i without issue. I keep my video and music on a linux server at the center of the house and they play over the network (through a samba share). I also play straight DVD iso's through this and they play well too.

The only annoying thing is the 6 button remote. The IR receiver is finnicky so you can't just add another remote. I discovered a bunch of codes by painstakingly sending them out an MCE transmitter/receiver into a Harmony Remote and worked out 48 buttons I used to emulate the buttons on an MCE remote. The biggest thing I find creates a problem for me with the included apple remote is the lack of a Stop button. I think the only place this is really a problem in the interface is when watching video or listening to music. I'm planning on modifying the included default theme (Project Mayhem III) to include a "Stop" button in the OSD transport buttons to solve this.

Man, I love this thing.
Yea, A happy XBMC for Linux on an AppleTV customer. Glad to see it working well for you.

Nice trick with the Harmony remote, others have also done this to be able to use the internal IR controller with an different IR remote that has more buttons. I punted and when direct with the MS USB mce remote/receiver.

Scott
dr4stic, are you sure about the composite connection? I would use that to replace my broken Xboxes. I would even settle for iTunes until there is an easy install for XBMC on it, if that ever even happens at all.
You can do HDMI, Component, Composite and S-Video (with adapter) on the AppleTV. The atv-bootloader wiki has the details.
Any chance of seeing a bootable USB image for the aTV? Perhaps if there's still an issue with Apple's files one that just needs the user to insert a few things? I would LOVE to get my aTV running off of a USB w/this on a second TV!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
ok, I give in. I'll make one based off the LiveUSB. It will take a few days to sync in and get it posted to an ftp server. Call it an experimental proof of concept. It will not touch the existing internal disk and run totally off the USB flash drive. It will have the bits for wireless but will require a wired network connection initially. Wireless config involves several branch points that depend greatly on how ones wireless is setup.

It will support either the Apple IR remote or the MS USB mce remote and have xorg.confs for HDMI, component, composite and s-video (needs an adapter).

You will need to obtain boot.efi but that's easy under Linux/OSX. See this link http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...Extraction

This will be a "dd" to a USB flash drive, then manually add boot.efi, remote conf and xorg.conf to a specific location. As always, USB flash drives can be quirky, some work, some don't. This will be sized to fit a 1GB or greater flash drive.
Big Grin 
davilla Wrote:ok, I give in. I'll make one based off the LiveUSB. It will take a few days to sync in and get it posted to an ftp server.
as long as the files in it does not violate any copyrights then you can host it on the official SourceForge project page (login to SourceForge then go to this page)
https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/ed...p_id=87054
instructions on how to upload files can be found here:
http://alexandria.wiki.sourceforge.net/F...r+Download
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
THANK YOU DAVILLA!!!!!

I know I've been a PITA about this but I do think it will let lots more folks try it out including several of my friends! I know a bunch more at work who might also like it. With all of the goofiness going on with the various ATV hacks these days this will be welcomed I think. What you propose is exactly perfect for my use and hopefully many others. Pulling out the Apple files needed should not be too hard either. Wired and HDMI - perfect and having the MCE remote work is icing on the cake. Guess I better terminate the ends on my CAT5 going to the second TV huh? Big Grin
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Gamester17 Wrote:as long as the files in it does not violate any copyrights then you can host it on the official SourceForge project page (login to SourceForge then go to this page)
https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/ed...p_id=87054
instructions on how to upload files can be found here:
http://alexandria.wiki.sourceforge.net/F...r+Download

Duh, totally forgot about hosting it here. That's will certainly ease the strain on my home servers. My upstream pipe is only 512Mb.

Yes, it will be free of any copyright issues, specifically the boot.efi file need to boot (this be be a separate download extraction step) and the windows driver needed for wifi (this can be done using a ssh session). The wifi windows driver is really why I'm waffling on wifi support out of the box.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux success stories :)1