Switching between Kodi and Emulator
Hey guys... I have Kodi running on a Win7 PC, where when turned on it boots straight into Kodi and I have EventGhost running for the remote.

I started researching some DIY projects for RaspberryPi and specifically, RetroPie for making a vintage game console. Thought it would be a fun project and if works well, I have a niece and a nephew that would love one.

Started pricing and goes up pretty quick, getting the board, then a case, power supply, heatsink, etc... not super expensive but enough.

My Kodi server is on my main TV and where I'd play the games anyways and thought maybe I should see about it working on that instead. Been on Google looking around but, not seeing an answer to what I want. I figured someone here probably has a similar setup, so I'll see if anyone has any advise.

My PC has no mouse or keyboard. It starts and launches direct to Kodi. My remote is a universal Sony, and my TV is a Sony so they work well together... I don't have a remote with a touchpad or keyboard.

Is there an easy way to run an emulator (emulation station?) and toggle between the two with the universal remote, and whatever wireless controller I end up buying?

Most stuff I've seen involves having something like Raspberry Pi with RetroPi as the main interface running the emulator and Kodi within it, which isn't my setup.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
I use LaunchBox (in its BigBox mode) in my living room--- never have to touch the mouse or keyboard if I don't want to for most emulators since you can map an exit macro to your controllers--- I have mine set to push down on both analog sticks to quit an emulator.

There's a launcher widget add-on for Kodi that exits Kodi, runs BigBox so you can play your emulated games with your controllers, then when you exit BigBox it re-launches Kodi. Slick and everything can be done with a remote (I have a Logitech Harmony Ultimate) and whatever controllers you want to use since you can control BigBox with your remote and/or a controller.

https://www.launchbox-app.com/
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 21, 13th-gen i7, 32gb RAM, nVidia RTX 4090
Thanks for the reply... checking out some YouTube vids for it now. Smile
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching between Kodi and Emulator0