A question about Krypton and Addons
I keep adult content addons on my System. As it is i have to keep my nieces and nephews away from my Kodi setup cause all addons are available accros the board not specific to profiles.

Is this issue addressed (read "fixed") in Krypton or do I have to keep my nieces and nephews away from my TV forever?
Just make another install of Kodi, if you launch in portable mode then they will be independent. You cannot however run both installs at the same time. Not sure why you would want to either.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Why not just use PinSentry to lock the addons in question? The worse case scenario, they'll see addon image and name but won''t be able to access them.
(2016-10-14, 08:50)DaLanik Wrote: Why not just use PinSentry to lock the addons in question? The worse case scenario, they'll see addon image and name but won''t be able to access them.

Because that's too much trouble to go through for a once a week visit plus I'd have to hunt down the repository that contains that which I don't feel like doing (and sure you're gonna want to point me to it. But you know even thet worst case scenario is more than o want to expose children to (adult addons in most every case have adult baground art and icons) I don't want half hearted afterthought security I want a well thought out and executed full measure.. This has always been my only gripe with Kodi, it's a real easy solution. All media addons should seriously be added per-user and any dependencies should be directed toaster user. Its something I have actually managed to do (by modifying the code for Kodi quite a few dot releases back (when it was still xbmc) the program has just gotten to complex for me to modify it at this point with my modest C skills without screening something up. I'm pretty sure its still easy to do but I can no longer follow the code.

I don't understand why this point is being ignored.
It's not ignored. We just know the profiles are not designed what they are used for now and no one has time to rework that part.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Buy raspberry pi (or equivalent cheap device).
Set it up for your nieces and nephews.
Cost - $10ish if you use a pi zero, depending what odds and ends you have down the back of the sofa.
(2016-10-14, 03:10)Dilligaf Wrote: Just make another install of Kodi, if you launch in portable mode then they will be independent. You cannot however run both installs at the same time. Not sure why you would want to either.

This is currently my best solution. Its going to be a lot to go through my setup isn't very friendly when it comes to making changes and since my system is all tucked away INSIDE my wall behind my wall mounted TV, and is a Raspberry Pi in a structured media enclosure (adequately ventilated and cooled) of requires me switching out the SD card when they are visiting.

So you can see why I'd rather a more convenient and complete measure of hiding age inappropriate content.

If my coding skills still matched the complexity of Kodi I'd recode the profile system myself once more and submit a patch, but as I said Kodi has moved way beyond what I can or have time to learn to understand codes wise.
What distro are you using on the pi?
(2016-10-14, 11:06)trogggy Wrote: Buy raspberry pi (or equivalent cheap device).
Set it up for your nieces and nephews.
Cost - $10ish if you use a pi zero, depending what odds and ends you have down the back of the sofa.

My system IS Raspberry Pi based (OSMC) but that is an even better idea. Buying a separate Pi for the kids. Less problematic than other solutions... It's funny when you're looking for the most practical solution you forget to weigh the merits of what should be the obvious solution

I just thought I was done purchasing stuff for my setup.
(2016-10-14, 11:42)JeromyNix Wrote: I just thought I was done purchasing stuff for my setup.
Never happens. Wink
(2016-10-14, 11:49)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-10-14, 11:42)JeromyNix Wrote: I just thought I was done purchasing stuff for my setup.
Never happens. Wink

Apparently... already sank 15000 into building my tiny house when I guesstimated about 8000-10000. Still have to get the solar set up so that's still another 5K. Just thought I was done with all other purchase should have known better from the way things were going. But at least another 10-40$ isn't that much to protect the little ones fragile psyche.
Or you could buy an Amazon Fire Stick or other android stick that plugs direct into a spare HDMI to put Kodi on there to contain the Adult stuff, so it only gets plugged in when you want to watch Adult content and all other times it can be safely kept under lock and key with no one else any the wiser Smile
(2016-10-14, 16:32)jjd-uk Wrote: Or you could buy an Amazon Fire Stick or other android stick that plugs direct into a spare HDMI to put Kodi on there to contain the Adult stuff, so it only gets plugged in when you want to watch Adult content and all other times it can be safely kept under lock and key with no one else any the wiser Smile

+1
(2016-10-14, 16:32)jjd-uk Wrote: Or you could buy an Amazon Fire Stick

Thanks for the laugh! That was a joke right?

but seriously the convienience is bettter for my sake. The kids are 8 days spread out over a month at most. My adult content use is at least double that.
(2016-10-14, 20:35)JeromyNix Wrote:
(2016-10-14, 16:32)jjd-uk Wrote: Or you could buy an Amazon Fire Stick

Thanks for the laugh! That was a joke right?

but seriously the convienience is bettter for my sake. The kids are 8 days spread out over a month at most. My adult content use is at least double that.

The obvious solution is abstinence. Big Grin
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A question about Krypton and Addons0