• 6(current)
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks
Just for interest sake, found a real handy eBook viewer which one could possible run with Advanced Launcher.

It`s real handy, has a command line (which I haven`t played with yet),
and a great tool for Viewing/indexing/converting a vast range of eBook formats, also has portable version.
I call it my MediaCompanion/Ember-R for books (excluding the nfo side thus I didn`t put it under the supplemental thread)
But as with most supplemental tools, first test on samples, cause I accidentally
lost some books (clearing the database removed my books from HDD)

Calibre-ebook GUI & calibre-ebook Demo & Calibre Development

Quote:calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:
Kodi - Windows 7_x64 14.2 Helix
OpenELEC - Generic x86_64 v5.0.8
OpenELEC - Raspberry Pi2 v5.0.8
Ember media manger 1.3.0.20 (thx DanCooper)
Media Companion v3.620b (thx Vbat99)
Rashad TVRenamer 0.7 Beta 2/EPnamer v1.45
Calibre-ebook

ingeon Wrote:J

Calibre-ebook GUI & calibre-ebook Demo

As a partially sighted avid reader a Calibre-xbmc addon would make my dream come true, with this functionality XBMC would truly be a 'one click app' for me. Yes reading on a TV can damage your eyes, but hell, i'm going blind and i'm not quite ready to resign myself to audiobooks. Please could someone look into this as it would greatly increase the quality of many partially sighted users (i'm sure a link back to XBMC download page could be posted on a few support websites that i frequent!!)

PS - studies show that yellow text on a black background is optimal for partially sighted people to use, so if the option to change font and background colours could be retained from calibre it'd be fantastic.
I'd love a PDF reader in XBMC... I don't have a laptop or iPad, and after sitting at a computer desk 8h a day I don't want to sit at one to read. I do however, have a tonne of photography/design eBooks, a comfy couch and a big TV.

Basic PDF reader with a few basic functions would be super handy.... 2pg view, fit width or fit height. Be good for people who get those eComics as well I'm sure.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
[quote=GJones]Ok, next time you go in ask your eye doctor if you should spend hours reading a book from the TV. The doctor will look at you like you've lost your mind.
So i guess watching long subtitled movies is bad too?What ever i still want pdf reader in XBMC and so do plenty others.
(2012-02-20, 05:01)slimmdiggity Wrote: [quote=GJones]Ok, next time you go in ask your eye doctor if you should spend hours reading a book from the TV. The doctor will look at you like you've lost your mind.
So i guess watching long subtitled movies is bad too?What ever i still want pdf reader in XBMC and so do plenty others.

Long, subtitled movies have maybe 20 words on-screen at a time, in a relatively huge font. Books are a different matter entirely.
A reasonable call for PDF functionality is as a supplement reference book library for programmers who sit in front of their media centers all afternoon. I can't speak as to the potential health concerns, but I would love native PDF support so I could pause the movie or music in the background and pop open a PDF without closing the IDE on my laptop.
Here is why I'd love something like this

Imagine a system set up to integrate your calibre booklist into XBMC. What you can do from within XBMC is browse the books you have, like a bookstore, with covers and summary of book pulled from calibre. Then, a simple option to click to send via email to your ereader. This way, we could browse our newly downloaded books on tv, then click to send, and boom, book is now on your kindle to read. all manageable from a remote instead of needing a keyboard like with calibre
(2011-03-27, 15:37)Angelscry Wrote: ...
I know that some users of Advanced Launcher use the SumatraPDF reader (under windows) to view PDF. For my part, I'm use qcomicbook (under Linux) to read mangas into CBR format. There is a lot of different application to read pdf, cbr or any other ebook format. You just have to be sure that the application have command line support to indicate it which ebook open.
Here is the user guide for advanced launcher : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3 . And here a wiki page explaining how configure advanced launcher to read cbr files using qcomicbook : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...Book#Linux . The configuration will not be so different for other ebook applications.

First, apologies for the necro-posting, but I'm quite stuck, even after much searching, and would really appreciate your help, Angelscry.

I too run XBMC on Linux, and now have crude, but working, qcomicbook setup; in that I have a list of filenames that I select, and can read through the comics with the remote - were I able to:

a) launch in fullscreen
b) close qcomicbook with the 'back' button on my remote
c) Have a 'Comics' main menu item

I'd have a fundamentally perfect setup.

Any way, that's for later, for now can you assist me in creating sane title and issue scraping. With that in mind, I have the following questions:

i) how you've set your directory tree: I have ~/comics/<comic title>/issueXXX.cbr
ii) how you're creating groups of comics: I have only created 1 launcher, do separate titles needs separate launchers?
iii) how you're scraping successfully: I've installed comicvine, but I find the process laborious, and inevitably it doesn't work

It's painful to ask, but I'd really appreciate as much detail as possible; as near step-to-step as you feel you can take. I've read as much as I can find search results for, but nothing is working yet.

Kind regards,
n1md4

===

Edit: Noticed this is a feature thread, I could create a post in the help section, if that's more appropriate?
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
(2013-01-19, 21:36)n1md4 Wrote:
(2011-03-27, 15:37)Angelscry Wrote: ...
I know that some users of Advanced Launcher use the SumatraPDF reader (under windows) to view PDF. For my part, I'm use qcomicbook (under Linux) to read mangas into CBR format. There is a lot of different application to read pdf, cbr or any other ebook format. You just have to be sure that the application have command line support to indicate it which ebook open.
Here is the user guide for advanced launcher : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3 . And here a wiki page explaining how configure advanced launcher to read cbr files using qcomicbook : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...Book#Linux . The configuration will not be so different for other ebook applications.

First, apologies for the necro-posting, but I'm quite stuck, even after much searching, and would really appreciate your help, Angelscry.

I too run XBMC on Linux, and now have crude, but working, qcomicbook setup; in that I have a list of filenames that I select, and can read through the comics with the remote - were I able to:

a) launch in fullscreen
b) close qcomicbook with the 'back' button on my remote
c) Have a 'Comics' main menu item

I'd have a fundamentally perfect setup.

Any way, that's for later, for now can you assist me in creating sane title and issue scraping. With that in mind, I have the following questions:

i) how you've set your directory tree: I have ~/comics/<comic title>/issueXXX.cbr
ii) how you're creating groups of comics: I have only created 1 launcher, do separate titles needs separate launchers?
iii) how you're scraping successfully: I've installed comicvine, but I find the process laborious, and inevitably it doesn't work

It's painful to ask, but I'd really appreciate as much detail as possible; as near step-to-step as you feel you can take. I've read as much as I can find search results for, but nothing is working yet.

Kind regards,
n1md4

===

Edit: Noticed this is a feature thread, I could create a post in the help section, if that's more appropriate?

i) The most important is not the directory structure but the filename which must be like this : <comic title> #<issue number : XXX>.cbr (.cbz or .pdf)
ii) If you create only one launcher, all the comic title will be mixed all together. If you want to separate each comic title from others, you need to create one launcher per comic title.
iii) Use filename as described into i)
I was hoping there already was a PDF viewer for XBMC. Thus I wound up here. Surprised (and disappointed) to see that after 8 years, nothing on that front. Hopefully someone will step up.
want some cheese to your tears?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
lol. Parmesan bitte.
Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
isn't it "Cheese to go with your whine"? :D
Not in my world - only drinking beer you know? Wink
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks1