Shutdown computer via XBMC
what you need to do is open up DialogButtonMenu.xml (in Project Mayhem 3) find the shutdown button which is started at <control type="button" id="3112"> and change this
<onclick>XBMC.ShutDown()</onclick>
to this
<onclick>System.Exec(shutdown -h now)</onclick>
Of course you will have to be a root user for this to work or make shutdown work so non root people can
I'm getting this:
Code:
Keymapping error: no such action 'system.exec(shutdown -h now)' defined

and nothing happens....
[quote=Duduke]I'm getting this:
Code:
Keymapping error: no such action 'system.exec(shutdown -h now)' defined

and nothing happens....[/QUOTElocate shutdown on linux then its

eg.. system.exec(/bin/shutdown -h now)
same thing, i'm still getting the keymap.xml error...
Works fine for me :\ maybe you edited it wrong because its got nothing to do with keymap.xml
Did you put the command in quotes like yuvalt's example? ie system.exec("command") ?

Also, shutdown is usually in /sbin/ and requires root access to execute.
You can add the XBMC user to sudoers with visudo to execute /sbin/shutdown with the NOPASSWD flag. That'd work.
rodalpho Wrote:You can add the XBMC user to sudoers with visudo to execute /sbin/shutdown with the NOPASSWD flag. That'd work.

I added the following line with visudo:
ALL ALL = NOPASSWD:/sbin/shutdown

which allows me to execute #sudo shutdown -h now
without prompting for a password

I also made the change to the DialogButtonMenu.xml file listed above with the exception of adding sudo to the command. I made the change to both xml files in PAL and PAL16x9 directory.

However, it still just shuts down XBMC and goes back to the desktop.

Any ideas?
Well if you put the pound sign in front of it you commented it out, which won't work. Beyond that if it works from the commandline it's a XBMC issue not a linux one, and I'm not qualified to help further.

Also you allowed all users to run shutdown which may not be a great idea. But I guess most people don't have multiple users so it wouldn't much matter.
rodalpho Wrote:Well if you put the pound sign in front of it you commented it out, which won't work. Beyond that if it works from the commandline it's a XBMC issue not a linux one, and I'm not qualified to help further.

Also you allowed all users to run shutdown which may not be a great idea. But I guess most people don't have multiple users so it wouldn't much matter.

No, I put a pound sign there to show that I could execute from a command line, I didn't put one in the xml file.

My xbmc box is only for htpc and there is only one user, so ALL is irrelevant.
Try "/usr/bin/gnome-power-cmd.sh shutdown" This should do the trick as normal user. You can also use "suspend" as argument...
NEI Wrote:Try "/usr/bin/gnome-power-cmd.sh shutdown" This should do the trick as normal user. You can also use "suspend" as argument...

Ahh dude you rock I was trying to figure out how to get suspend working

I take it back seems linux dosn't like going into suspend when xbmc is in fullscreen
Quote:I take it back seems linux dosn't like going into suspend when xbmc is in fullscreen
You can define scripts in /etc/acpi/suspend.d/ or soemthing, can't remember the exact path and I'm not at the machine right now. So you could stop xbmc before suspending and in /etc/acpi/resume.d/ you could start it again. Did not test this though, as my suspend is not working like I would like... ;-)
NEI Wrote:You can define scripts in /etc/acpi/suspend.d/ or soemthing, can't remember the exact path and I'm not at the machine right now. So you could stop xbmc before suspending and in /etc/acpi/resume.d/ you could start it again. Did not test this though, as my suspend is not working like I would like... ;-)

I would love to be able to suspend and wake up from remote. But for the time being, if I could just shut down from remote I'd be happy.

Does anyone have this working? Changing the command from a xbmc shutdown to a system shutdown in DialogButtonMenu.xml seemed to oddly have no effect as it still shuts down xbmc only. I haven't tried the previous posts on using keymap to send a system shutdown command so I guess I'll try that next, but using the DialogButton seemed like a cleaner way to do it.
rrambo no effect at all might because because you edited the wrong file there is a file in Pal and Pal16x9 (in PM3 skin ) and you need to edit the one that you use

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown computer via XBMC0